You are here

Unhappy SoundCloud

Advice on everything from getting your music heard to setting up a label and royalties.

Re: Unhappy SoundCloud

Postby Forum Admin » Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:42 pm

LdashD wrote:I don’t use S0undcloud that much, apart from being a library/archive, I just like /appreciate that it’s there if’n when I need it, and I like that it’s just about the music, nowt else.

I really dig the ability to make files Public or Private, I’ve used this function a few times here, very ’andy, when Private you can also change the original link provided.

Wot SOS might find useful is the ability to ‘host?’ other’s files, not sure how it works but, if one was to upload a Spinnin’ competition remix to Spinnin’s site/S0undcloud profile, it will appear there, or on both? wiv thousands of others, in a chart voted for by punters/saddo’s/whatever, just cos it’s been uploaded to an individual’s S0undcloud profile and permission/access was given to Spinnin’ (seems I’m not the only chap ‘oo drops the odd letter or three eh) clever stuff…

There’s seems to be a creative underbelly that most aren’t aware of, as I’m assuming it’s not just the dance bod’s that…

Now, you wouldn’t want me to spell it out wot sorta fun SOS could ‘ave wiv punters files etc now would you?

What are you talkin' about?? Your posts are so difficult for us sane mortals to understand. Drop the fake accent and don't drop letters -- it's lazy and disrespectful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Forum Admin
Location: A studio deep in the fenlands of Cambridgeshire, UK
SEARCH SOS - 10,167 high quality articles: www.soundonsound.com/search/all
SOS gear videos, tutorials, studio tours: www.soundonsound.tv

Postby den83 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:27 pm

Forum Admin wrote:
LdashD wrote:I don’t use S0undcloud that much, apart from being a library/archive, I just like /appreciate that it’s there if’n when I need it, and I like that it’s just about the music, nowt else.

I really dig the ability to make files Public or Private, I’ve used this function a few times here, very ’andy, when Private you can also change the original link provided.

Wot SOS might find useful is the ability to ‘host?’ other’s files, not sure how it works but, if one was to upload a Spinnin’ competition remix to Spinnin’s site/S0undcloud profile, it will appear there, or on both? wiv thousands of others, in a chart voted for by punters/saddo’s/whatever, just cos it’s been uploaded to an individual’s S0undcloud profile and permission/access was given to Spinnin’ (seems I’m not the only chap ‘oo drops the odd letter or three eh) clever stuff…

There’s seems to be a creative underbelly that most aren’t aware of, as I’m assuming it’s not just the dance bod’s that…

Now, you wouldn’t want me to spell it out wot sorta fun SOS could ‘ave wiv punters files etc now would you?

What are you talkin' about?? Your posts are so difficult for us sane mortals to understand. Drop the fake accent and don't drop letters -- it's lazy and disrespectful.

+1

It is irritating and completely unnecessary. Please do us all a favour and desist wiv it Lash me 'ol 2 'an 8.
den83
Regular

Postby Guest » Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:42 pm

desmond wrote:
LdashD wrote:(seems I’m not the only chap ‘oo drops the odd letter or three eh) clever stuff…

As an aside, I always read your posts in my head voice of Monty Python...

Hey Desmundo, cain’t argue wiv you Sir, as you gave a fairly accurate, albeit a perhaps one-sided appraisal of me last magnum opus that me dear ol’ Beeb deemed unsuitable for broadcast bless ‘em. One-sided i.e. cos you didn’t appreciate the quality of the African tribal vox, (plus other relative stuff) something I can’t take the credit for old bean.

But yeah, say no more Squire (not Fender,) nudge, nudge, wink, wink, now wot I mean ay, nudge, nudge, your wife’s a goer is she? ay, a goer is she? know wot I mean, nudge, nudge, wink, wink, say no more Squire, nod’s as good as a wink to a blind bat innit… wink, wink, nudge…

F-M etc, et al like-minded blokes, if it’s any consolation, even a despicable pleb like me don’t understand/use that kinda lingo… I’ll be workin’ on it though, so lock up your daughters chaps.

To enter others heads one needs to get up their noses first...

Postby Rich Hanson » Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:42 pm

den83 wrote:
Forum Admin wrote:

+1

It is irritating and completely unnecessary. Please do us all a favour and desist wiv it Lash me 'ol 2 'an 8.

I've given up reading his posts as I find it hard going wading through the 'accent', which is a shame as he did sometimes come up with some interesting things.
Rich Hanson
Frequent Poster

Postby desmond » Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:50 pm

LdashD wrote: One-sided i.e. cos you didn’t appreciate the quality of the African tribal vox, (plus other relative stuff) something I can’t take the credit for old bean.

I've no idea what you're talking about, but to be honest, that's nothing new, really! :headbang:

I've never known anyone so happy to have their message be almost impossible to understand and communicate because they think it sounds "cool" to write like this, but I guess that's what makes LD special... :tongue:

It's like someone in a bunch of only English speakers stubbornly choosing to only speak in French, even though they could just speak English and communicate perfectly fine.

I think it's rather bizarre and have commented so in the past, but LD has heard those people's comments before and chose to not care and/or ignore them and carry on, as is his right, but it does rather demean his posts, his message, and his credibility. Of course, his "I'm the music industry's saviour that they just haven't discovered yet" is also a bit tiring, but hey, we represent ourselves how we choose and accept that it affects how we are perceived, and he seems to be just fine with that, so, if it bothers people, there's always the "ignore" feature...
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby Dave B » Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:18 pm

No ... I'm the music industry's saviour! And so's my wife!
Dave B
Jedi Poster
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi (I came, I saw, I conkered)

Postby Guest » Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:49 pm

Dave B wrote:No ... I'm the music industry's saviour! And so's my wife!

Join da club bruv.

Postby Guest » Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:52 pm

I’ve extracted the highly offensive disrespectful words,

if’n, really dig, ‘andy, wot, wiv, cos, ‘oo, bod’s, wot, sorta, ‘ave, wiv

and have replaced them with what I assume is what is expected of me and possibly others, highlighted here in bold,

if and, appreciate, handy, What, with, because, who, people, what, sort of, have with

That’s 12 words (14 if Spinnin’ is also disrespectful/unintelligible?) out of about one hundred and fifty odd, so I think you’re all talking piffle when you say I’m disrespectful and unintelligible.

Takes two to tango dunnit.

Anyone fancy another dance?

Postby Guest » Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:28 pm

LdashD wrote:
Dave B wrote:No ... I'm the music industry's saviour! And so's my wife!

Join da club bruv.

Wot I should’ve said was, ‘You, I wouldn’t know about, yer missus, I know for a fact that she’s a very naughty girl, very.’

See, I do think of you old boy, can’t think why…

Postby den83 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:19 pm

desmond wrote:
LdashD wrote: One-sided i.e. cos you didn’t appreciate the quality of the African tribal vox, (plus other relative stuff) something I can’t take the credit for old bean.

I've no idea what you're talking about, but to be honest, that's nothing new, really! :headbang:

I've never known anyone so happy to have their message be almost impossible to understand and communicate because they think it sounds "cool" to write like this, but I guess that's what makes LD special... :tongue:

It's like someone in a bunch of only English speakers stubbornly choosing to only speak in French, even though they could just speak English and communicate perfectly fine.

I think it's rather bizarre and have commented so in the past, but LD has heard those people's comments before and chose to not care and/or ignore them and carry on, as is his right, but it does rather demean his posts, his message, and his credibility. Of course, his "I'm the music industry's saviour that they just haven't discovered yet" is also a bit tiring, but hey, we represent ourselves how we choose and accept that it affects how we are perceived, and he seems to be just fine with that, so, if it bothers people, there's always the "ignore" feature...

Yes, very useful! I have unfortunately chosen to ignore Mr. Lash now. It is too painful trawling through all that cockney geezer mallarkey. I cannot cope with my inner Mike Reid any more. If Mr. Lash has a message and is indeed the saviour of the music industry, here is one less voice he will be communicating that message to.

Bye bye 'bruv.

innit
den83
Regular

Postby Agharta » Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:56 am

Agharta
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Dave B » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:53 am

Just noticed that myself. Looks like good news. Let's hope that they get the 'monetisation' bit right and don't make it too obtrusive.
Dave B
Jedi Poster
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi (I came, I saw, I conkered)

Postby Scramble » Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:38 pm

But this is what always happens with these sorts of struggling but well-known and loved tech firms -- rather than make any money from the services they offer their customers, or ads, or whatever, they just find more suckers to throw huge amounts of money in to keep them going for another few years, until they go bankrupt again. (In a way, their real customers are the venture capitalists who put the money in.)

But it is good news for us musicians who use Soundcloud. And for those musicians who now get paid royalties by Soundcloud.
Scramble
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby blinddrew » Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:57 am

I can't help but feel there's some sliding level of features that could be offered here. The idea that 'freemium' services can only have two tiers seems very limiting.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

SoundCloud investment

Postby Forum Admin » Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:23 pm

That press release is good news. :thumbup:

Having two ex-Vimeo corporates running the operation should help find better future models for SoundCloud.
Forum Admin
Location: A studio deep in the fenlands of Cambridgeshire, UK
SEARCH SOS - 10,167 high quality articles: www.soundonsound.com/search/all
SOS gear videos, tutorials, studio tours: www.soundonsound.tv

Happy SoundCloud

Postby ConcertinaChap » Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:21 pm

Happy Soundcloud. As a user I'm pleased too.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
Disclaimer: I don't claim to know anything at all.

Postby Erickem » Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:25 am

The current 64,000 dollar question : what do we use instead?

I don't have anything on there which would be a loss if vanished, but it would be nice to know who to check out
Erickem

Postby OneWorld » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:38 am

I guess FaceAcheBook will be mopping up the fall out, just as they brought MySpace to its knees, although in all fairness, when MySpace sold out to Murdoch.inc and they did a rebrand, they trashed it, a case in point of 'if it works, leave the thing alone, it's working why break it'
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Folderol » Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:24 pm

I hope they pull through. They've made some bad decisions in the past, but it still manages to be mostly a friendly community.

However, if I get a sniff of anything like facebook taking over, I'll delete everything then close the account.

I've got my own minimalist website so I'll just list that everywhere I post. Not the same thing of course.
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Just because you know what I'm talking about, it doesn't mean I do!

Postby Frank Rideau » Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:10 pm

Facebook taking over would be such bad news for artists and music community,

I mean, come on, let's not make this happens...
Frank Rideau
Regular
http://soundcloud.com/orgasmo-sonore Revisiting Obscure Film Music

PreviousNext