You are here

Unhappy SoundCloud

Advice on everything from getting your music heard to setting up a label and royalties.

Re: Unhappy SoundCloud

Postby Alvvays » Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:31 pm

In case you guys are thinking about moving to another music streaming service, there are actually some good ones in replacement for Soundcloud: https://www.1and1.com/digitalguide/onli ... marketing/
I personally feel Bandcamp is more suitable for musicians and music producers, and its discover tool works amazing. For me, it is important to be inspired by a large variety of tunes and get updates about new tunes, which SoundCloud doesn't sufficiently provide (at least to me).
Alvvays
Poster

Postby blinddrew » Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:14 pm

I tend to use them for different things. Soundcloud is for ideas and sharing stuff prior to release, Bandcamp is then for proper releases.
But that's just how I choose to use it. :)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Marbury » Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:35 am

Alvvays wrote:In case you guys are thinking about moving to another music streaming service, there are actually some good ones in replacement for Soundcloud: https://www.1and1.com/digitalguide/onli ... marketing/
I personally feel Bandcamp is more suitable for musicians and music producers, and its discover tool works amazing. For me, it is important to be inspired by a large variety of tunes and get updates about new tunes, which SoundCloud doesn't sufficiently provide (at least to me).

I fmd Bandcamp a total washout. The discover tool does not work. Who buys music now anyway when you can listen fr free ? I have never seen any of my new releases in that window. soumdcloud for ke is very successful. A lot of hreat feedback.
Marbury
Frequent Poster

Postby Still Vibrations » Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:47 am

I had never heard of hearthis.at before but it looks like a good place for hosting recordings. Unfortunately it is under E.U. jurisdiction.
Still Vibrations
Regular
"It’s like the whole thing about punk is that you do brilliantly ambitious things very stupidly."  - Maria Damon (I think!)

Postby Marbury » Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:39 am

Thought I would share a piece written by the missus.

SoundCloud is full of talent but not full of buyers.
Lots of musicians gather in the Cloud, they are very good at supporting each other with comments. Others come and listen...and leave. Why pay when you can have it for nothing?
I take a route that takes me through a department store, every day I am sprayed with complimentary perfume...do I go and buy it? No, I can get a spray everyday...why would I? If I had a sample it would be different, a spray on a piece of card would tempt me.
A sample of something that sounded intriguing would tempt me to buy, to listen to the whole track, to own the entire piece but as long as they give it away I won't.
But, I hear you say, people want to own it...why? Most people have portable devices, they can play that track wherever they go.
It's the 'Borders principle', it was a bookshop, a great bookshop, people came to browse, they could take a book to the coffee shop, read the entire thing if they wanted to, but the prices were high and folk sampled and crumpled the books then went home and ordered them on the internet...cheaper. It was a glorified coffee shop, lovely to visit but didn't sell enough and went bust.
Money for nothing...we are not very good at giving our money to something when we get nothing in return, nothing physical, even a charity feels obliged to give us a sticker or a badge or a red nose. Music is not something we can see anymore, long gone are the days of popping in Woolies on a Saturday and coming home with a couple of singles.
When we rent a film/movie we can request the dvd too, I wonder if for a few more quid when we download our album we could receive the hard copy too this would feel more of a treat, more of a bargain. Anything to help the plethora of struggling Artists to exist. Unless they start to receive funds for what they do in their back bedrooms and studios we will lose our panacea to the 'Charts', and the music world will be a poorer place without them.
We need variety! 6 Music, Late Junction, 80's reunions, Classical, Jazz, Drone, Prog-rock, Electronic....but unless we start putting our hand in our pocket it will disappear, just like our well loved shops we wished we had supported. Only the top earners will remain, whilst the Cream might taste nice, after a while it will become bland and 'samey', like brown plasticine when all the colours are mixed together.
Everyone likes SoundCloud, the talent, the vibe, the diversity but unless people buy it, it too will go bust...and I still miss Borders.
Marbury
Frequent Poster

Postby blinddrew » Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:58 pm

I recognise the sentiment (I too miss Borders and would definitely miss Soundcloud if it were to go), but i don't agree with a couple of the fundamentals.
Primarily the idea that if we don't fund new music it will disappear. People will still create music, some of it will be dull and formulaic, some of it will be new and exciting, every point along the way will also be filled. Making music has rarely been a preferred route to making money. We make music because we want to, we have it bubbling up inside us, we need to satisfy that urge to create something that reaches out to people...
It's why there's so much out there and why people do it for free.
So if Soundcloud, goes under, another one will come along. The usual legacy interests will fight tooth and nail to prevent anything becoming too successful and most will fall by the wayside, but something will bubble up and provide a service. That too, in time, will probably fail.
And most people won't really care. They'll get their pop music from the established sources via the established channels, paid for by the arena tours, merchandising deals and high profile advertising campaigns and sync deals. Increasingly this will probably be AI generated and the west may well follow the east in having AI generated artists as well as music.
Arts funding will largely go to classical and other 'serious' music (as it probably should).
New and original music will continue shuffling along on the backs of small numbers of passionate enthusiasts (amateur and professional) until a specific scene pops onto the mainstream for a couple of years, whereupon a small number of acts will be showered with money and attention until the collective attention wanders on (see Mumford and Sons or Stormzy).
Musos will remain as keen and committed as ever, but since the 80s most people have had more channels on which to spend their entertainment dollars and hours (videos, DVDs, computer games, the internet, social media). Music is no longer the only game in town. Add that to a string of global recessions and an decade of costs rising faster than earnings and you end up where we are now.
So I'm glad Soundcloud exists, but it probably won't last, and neither will its replacement. Music-as-a-career will remain a possibility for only the tiniest proportion of practitioners and the rest will carry on as semi-pros and enthusiastic amateurs whilst the world largely spins on oblivious to us.
It was ever thus.

I reckon.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Alvvays » Thu May 03, 2018 11:05 am

Still Vibrations wrote:I had never heard of hearthis.at before but it looks like a good place for hosting recordings. Unfortunately it is under E.U. jurisdiction.

Yeah I heard of it after reading the article. Also checked it out but didn't go that far.
Alvvays
Poster

Postby Alvvays » Thu May 03, 2018 11:20 am

Marbury wrote:
Alvvays wrote:In case you guys are thinking about moving to another music streaming service, there are actually some good ones in replacement for Soundcloud: https://www.1and1.com/digitalguide/onli ... marketing/

I fmd Bandcamp a total washout. The discover tool does not work. Who buys music now anyway when you can listen fr free ? I have never seen any of my new releases in that window. soumdcloud for ke is very successful. A lot of hreat feedback.

Well...yeah I think yes, it's always better to get music for free. In the end, music is meant to be shared :)
Alvvays
Poster

Previous