You are here

How to succeed in the Music Business

Advice on everything from getting your music heard to setting up a label and royalties.

How to succeed in the Music Business

Postby Howdy Doody Time » Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:12 am

I have come to the realization that anyone can succeed in the Music Business.

All you need is a colossal talent, an unstoppable will to win and an insatiable appetite for work.

You may also need a thick slice of luck - but I'm not sure about that if the 3 requirements are met.
Howdy Doody Time
Regular
The only excuse we have for making music in the first place is to make it differently..vis-a-vis our own difference (Glenn Gould)

Re: How to succeed in the Music Business

Postby job » Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:56 am

Howdy Doody Time wrote:All you need is a colossal talent, an unstoppable will to win and an insatiable appetite for work.

I would say that contradicts the idea of anyone and instantly excludes most people :thumbup:

Although more seriously, I would say a passion for the work you're doing, or at least a high amount of enthusiasm, and playing to win are required to succeed in anything at a high level. Talent in any area that you're not passionate for can often be made superfluous through delegation.

I would consider luck to be extremely important, we just don't notice it and like to consider ourselves self-made. Luck can also be something that we can seemingly up our chances of getting in some ways by way of, say, surrounding ourselves with more people on more occasions from who said luck is likely to come from. Or putting ourselves in more situations on more occasions from where luck has a good chance of coming from. Of course, that doesn't bypass the luck gained from something like choosing to have a pint in a pub and meeting a stranger who ends up giving you a contract that makes you a multi-millionaire in less than a year :thumbup:
job
Regular

Postby den83 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:16 am

You don't need colossal talent.
den83
Regular

Postby blinddrew » Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:17 am

Looking at what's in the charts it would appear that it does help if you're also really, really, ridiculously, good-looking as well...
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby den83 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:35 pm

Yeah. I'd say a nice tan is more important than talent.
den83
Regular

Postby wdsteele » Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:34 pm

Oh , I don't know , maybe we're very accustomed to seeing beautiful things on music videos but it's really about the "look" being memorable more than anything.

I like to ask myself , if there is an electrical power cut , could I move an audience with my acoustic and voice alone , if the answer is no , then it seems kind of odd that a musician witout the power of electricity is no longer a musician per se.

Sure , electronic music is skillfully executed , exciting and very moving , but when the batteries die ..........

The truth is , most singers can't sing , most drummers can't drum , bass players get by okay ( lower audience expectations I guess , I am one ) and most guitarist and keyboardist are best just going solo or having hotel foyer residencies ( twiddlers ! ) this is why they and their bands don't make it.

Best show I've ever seen was Ennio Morricone , if there had been a power cut that night , most of the audience would have still enjoyed the rest of the show , and what a show it was too.

2nd best , Dolly Parton , amazing songs and such stunning performances - a power cut would be no problem for Dolly I can vouch.

Rush , I've seen 4 times now , love their studio stuff , 2112 for the first time was an unforgettable moment but what a dreadful live sound , every single time since an absolute bloody racket , if there had been a power cut , I'd have happily got the rounds in early.

I mention them , though , because their early days are testament to believing in yourself , doing your very own style of music and creating something niche and nerdy that people like to belong to , almost a secret society of sorts and of course , never giving up ( tip ; don't put on their Hemspheres album to get the party going )

All artists above are very ,very successful and always played live on a regular basis - they make rather nice money from this , but they love performing as musicians / conductors as their first and foremost - that's the drive that maintains their musicianship.

The one thing which really counts though is having a uniqueness that lets you stand out from every other act , in image or music or just overall concept , not sure it matters which , but you've got to be different.
wdsteele
Regular

Postby Music Wolf » Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:46 pm

In my opinion, and speaking as someone that who hasn't succeeded in the music business, the must haves are charisma (which is apparently now called X factor and which didn't exist prior to 2004 when it was invented by Simon Cowell) and drive.

Talent, looks and good fortune all help, as indeed does having parents in the industry, but very few make it without charisma.
Music Wolf
Frequent Poster

Postby blinddrew » Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:10 am

There was a very interesting comment from Guy Chambers on an SOS video a while back that supports that view MW, something along the lines of, "When you start singing the whole pub / venue stops and turns to look at you. If you're not that person then maybe you need to find someone who is. "
Something like that at any rate.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster

Postby Scramble » Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:34 am

There's no one-answer-fits-all here. The music business is a varied place. There are good-looking people with little talent who have made it, there are ugly but talented people who have made it, there are good-looking talented people who haven't made it, and there are even ugly talentless people who have made it. There are even lazy people who have made it, because they were in the right place at the right time, or they happened to join a band with someone really good in it.

How you make it as a teen pop sensation is very different to how you make it as a Rush-style band (and Rush sound great live to me). How you make it as a dance music act is different again. Different audiences, different demands, different industry structures, different routes to success, different ways of getting shafted. And even within genres there are very different stories.
Scramble
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Howdy Doody Time » Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:54 pm

Yeah! I keep forgetting how old I am and how that informs my perspective. I suppose I was thinking about Bob Dylan, black leather jacket, jeans, alone on a bare stage with a completely gobsmacked audience in front of him - or The Beatles, nice clean cut kids, - or perhaps Gilbert O'Sullivan in the early days dressed like a schoolboy, or Paul Simon another wandering soloist. The things they all had in common were the three things I mentioned.

Speaking of acoustic music, a few years ago here in a tiny out of the way venue in Thailand the missus and I stopped by for a Pizza. There were tickets on sale for a surprise concert that evening and we bought them. Turned out it was a chinese classical guitarist by the name of xuefei yang. She was on holiday and had been persuaded to give a concert for the benefit of homeless kids. I was spellbound, she played Spanish classics as well as conventional (you know what I mean) classical guitar music. and it was unforgettable. SOmetimes life just throws you a Pearl! :)
Howdy Doody Time
Regular
The only excuse we have for making music in the first place is to make it differently..vis-a-vis our own difference (Glenn Gould)

Postby Music Wolf » Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:05 am

Scramble wrote:and Rush sound great live to me

Good to know. I was getting worried for a minute there thinking that my hearing was going because they've sounded great to me whenever I've seen them. :D
Music Wolf
Frequent Poster

Postby ConcertinaChap » Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:45 pm

Clearly one man's "great" is another man's "absolute bloody racket". That's where it all gets a bit tricksy, of course.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
A small fish in a small pond.

Postby blinddrew » Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:05 pm

The definition of success is a bit variable as well :D
blinddrew
Jedi Poster