You are here

Advice on setting fee to do music for boardgame video

Advice on everything from getting your music heard to setting up a label and royalties.

Advice on setting fee to do music for boardgame video

Postby Mudchild » Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:52 am

Hello

Small time producer here, much of my music tech work goes on in schools and learning environments, occasional band projects, and work on my own tunes when i get time. I'm fairly experienced though, know what I'm doing.

Well a friend is reviving/re-developing an old cult boardgame from the 80s, with a view to releasing a modernised improved version. It's going to be a crowdfunding thing, but he has his own money behind it too. He's actually a very switched-on canny guy, runs his own business etc. Having played a test version, I think he could well be onto something. He's in talks with some top visual artists, designers etc with a view to getting a very professional product put together. It's kind of a personal dream project which he can afford to indulge in, although he is also of course hoping for some success with it - who knows, as far as I can see, if anyone could make it work, it's him - but then again? It's a long shot.

ANYWAY, he recently heard some of my tunes and wants me to do the music for a 2 min promotional video for the game that will be developed at some stage. He wants me to let him know a fee for this. Bit naive here - would like some advice on determining a reasonable fee, given the above background?

Thanks for any advice.

M
Mudchild
Regular

Re: Advice on setting fee to do music for boardgame video

Postby den83 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:19 pm

£249
den83
Regular

Postby Mudchild » Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:54 am

Wow thanks
Mudchild
Regular
Alex

Postby blinddrew » Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:48 pm

den83 wrote:£249
Is that your answer to every request for a quote den83? :D
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Mudchild » Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:00 pm

certainly had me in stitches, didn't realise the comedy was so strong on this forum
Mudchild
Regular
Alex

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:12 pm

That's Den's standard rate. £49 for him and £200 as my agent's fee... :lol:

In all seriousness, though, no one can really answer your question with a specific price.

Are you a professional composer or an enthusiastic amateur? Do you have a successful track record in well-crafted advertising scores?

And it's for a mate, and a project which may or may not become a commercial success. It's also for a possible video the exposure of which is completely unknown.

So, you could charge anything from a nominal mates-rate to help out a friend in need, up to some kind of up-front fee plus a percentage deal in case the product is a huge commercial success and your music is used on international marketing promos on TV and cinemas worldwide! ...Or anything in between.

Personally, I'd want to charge something that fairly reflected the time, effort, and skill involved, and the quality of the finished material. But what that reflection should or could be depends on all the above.

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby den83 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:25 pm

Mudchild wrote:certainly had me in stitches, didn't realise the comedy was so strong on this forum

It wasn't intended as comedy. Given the nature of your gig (which seems fairly small, won't take very long, is mates rates and quite speculative) that is what I would quote. That is a) cheap enough for him to get some bespoke music and b) enough pay for you to justify a couple of hours work.

Obviously if it was gonna take more than a couple of hours the figure would have to be adjusted accordingly.
den83
Regular

Postby Mudchild » Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:59 pm

fair enough, it just looked like you were joking by simply saying '£249' with no context or narrative.
Mudchild
Regular
Alex

Postby blinddrew » Fri Aug 25, 2017 4:32 pm

Sorry about that, my bad. I thought you were making a bit of a joke based on the other recent thread.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby den83 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 5:02 pm

Mudchild wrote:fair enough, it just looked like you were joking by simply saying '£249' with no context or narrative.

You are quire right, I should have expanded first time round. My bad.
den83
Regular