You are here

Ruining Your Own Brand/"Band" Name

Advice on everything from getting your music heard to setting up a label and royalties.

Ruining Your Own Brand/"Band" Name

Postby Butterfried Bacon » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:38 am

When do you think it's most logical or sensible to start sharing your music under some kind of catchy band name? The point of asking is that perhaps your music sounds great to YOU, but perhaps it isn't really great objectively and perhaps other people might not like it so much. Maybe you're not as good as you think you are. So if you create your "band name" early on and start releasing lousy music, you could ruin your own name before anyone notices you. Over time, you may get both creatively and technically better, but people might have flashbacks to earlier musical disasters and think, "Oh. That guy. Ugh."
Butterfried Bacon
Poster
Newcomer to Music (Est. 2017-03-19)
https://soundcloud.com/user-714912739
Mythozchtryx

Re: Ruining Your Own Brand/"Band" Name

Postby blinddrew » Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:20 pm

I reckon the chances of anyone paying any attention to you at the point where you're still in the nascent stage of your band's life are minimal to none, so there's a really only a limited amount of damage you could do.
By the time you're big enough for any kind of reputation to matter you'll be skilled and competent and can look back on any early stuff and laugh.
And for those few people who have tracked you throughout your career, well, they get the hipster points for being able to say, 'I remember when they played [insert small venue here] and they were terrible."
Which, of course, will only help persuade other people that you're good... :)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Butterfried Bacon » Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:48 pm

blinddrew wrote:I reckon the chances of anyone paying any attention to you at the point where you're still in the nascent stage of your band's life are minimal to none, so there's a really only a limited amount of damage you could do.
By the time you're big enough for any kind of reputation to matter you'll be skilled and competent and can look back on any early stuff and laugh.
And for those few people who have tracked you throughout your career, well, they get the hipster points for being able to say, 'I remember when they played [insert small venue here] and they were terrible."
Which, of course, will only help persuade other people that you're good... :)

LOL! Earlier tonight, I was reading a thread in one of the SOS forums about "making it in the business" and some comments were made about bands who were actually good and getting some publicity, but when one of the band members got sick and couldn't finish the tour, nobody wanted to have anything to do with publicizing them and they basically became nothing.

Well, my thing is that I probably couldn't actually play any music I ever produce. Not only have I not had piano lessons since I was a preteen, and not only have I not even tried to continue learning how to play as an adult (I'm now 47), with a left hand that's partially numb and not as dexterous due to nerve damage in my neck and shoulder, the chances of my ever doing anything live is next to nothing. I do have a MIDI keyboard for twiddling around to find nice motifs or short tunes, but I must program them into a DAW's piano roll to actually turn it into music.

Though I can type 80 words per minute with 100% accuracy, I make a lot of mistakes and I have to use the backspace key a lot. Even with the backspacing, I still hit 80 WPM. With all the mistakes I make when typing, despite decades of daily typing, I can only suspect that any attempt to play music on a piano or keyboard would only result in lots and lots of mistakes on stage, and the piano/keyboard has no time-warping backspace key, unfortunately. lol

I love making music, however, even though I'm only getting started. If nothing else, and if there's no huge or recurring cost involved, I can just list some of the best completed tracks on iTunes or somewhere and just let people buy them if they want to, and if not, at least I still have my day job. :) And if I get an extra hundred dollars a month here and there, I can at least order pizza more often.
Butterfried Bacon
Poster
Mythozchtryx

Postby James Perrett » Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:12 pm

I notice that Graduate aren't on Spotify yet there are plenty of Tears For Fears tunes on there...
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby radian » Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:57 pm

You can always change your band name when you decide that your early stuff sucks, but you proabably need one.

Not many people are going to drop "Hey check out user-714912739 on SoundCloud" into polite conversation. :tongue:
radian
Poster

Postby CS70 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:04 pm

Butterfried Bacon wrote:When do you think it's most logical or sensible to start sharing your music under some kind of catchy band name?

It is to just do it without thinking too much about others opinions. :)

It's your music. It is what it is. Do the best you can, and you can't do better than that, and it's better to do something that doing nothing. :)
CS70
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video  and the FB page

Postby Butterfried Bacon » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:11 am

CS70 wrote:
Butterfried Bacon wrote:When do you think it's most logical or sensible to start sharing your music under some kind of catchy band name?

It is to just do it without thinking too much about others opinions. :)

It's your music. It is what it is. Do the best you can, and you can't do better than that, and it's better to do something that doing nothing. :)

That makes a lot of sense. I work on something and think, "I sure like this. I hope other people do, too." :) I'll keep on keepin' on!
Butterfried Bacon
Poster
Mythozchtryx

Postby ore_terra » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:18 am

I don't see "evolution" as a bad thing. there are videos, demos and stuff you can find in the internet of famous performers' beginning days and that are absolutely crap. that doesn't affect their current quality (or lack of), IMHO
ore_terra
Regular

Postby BigRedX » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:35 pm

Butterfried Bacon wrote:LOL! Earlier tonight, I was reading a thread in one of the SOS forums about "making it in the business" and some comments were made about bands who were actually good and getting some publicity, but when one of the band members got sick and couldn't finish the tour, nobody wanted to have anything to do with publicizing them and they basically became nothing.

Or you can simply develop and move on. The example above was about a band I was previously in. The band in question is still on hiatus, but in the mean time some of the members are now involved in new projects. For some of us and some of our new musical endeavours our past helps to boost the profile of the project. For others where it is less appropriate it is quietly glossed over.

Further to that in the 90s I was in a string of bands that morphed from one to another with numerous line-up and name changes along the way, although the musical genre remained much the same. It had advantages in that we could pick and chose which bits of our past we would use at any one time, and we were able to "rebadge" old recordings to give the new version of the band a presence without having to get back in the studio.
BigRedX
Frequent Poster
RockinRollin' VampireMan

Postby MarkyC » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:39 pm

Also please do keep in mind that branding is a skill in itself. You won't get it right first time and it is something that needs practice. If you practice whilst you are getting started people will be forgiving, even think it is charming. However do something inadvertently stupid when you are more established will make you look like complete fools.

I know it is pragmatic but best to make mistakes when you don't have so much riding on it.

Oh and by the way, think the professional marketers will help you later? I work in the industry and can tell you that some of the most stupid things I have seen come from those that are supposed to know better. If you have at least some background in this stuff it will help!

PS On a personal note I think my branding is better than my music which makes me very sad :oops:
MarkyC
Poster

Postby MarkyC » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:40 pm

Please delete - See what I did there!
Intentional obviously :tongue:
MarkyC
Poster