You are here

What do I need to do to sell compilation CDs / Downloads?

Advice on everything from getting your music heard to setting up a label and royalties.

What do I need to do to sell compilation CDs / Downloads?

Postby Baldo » Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:47 pm

I would like to make compilation CDs / Dowloads at live events that I give.

I play this music in the live event and people ask what the music is. (I could just point them to iTunes and say they could buy it from there. But then I have missed a business opportunity to sell something that I have spent my time and effort to find.)

What I wold like to do is to make special compilation of the music and then sell as either CDs and/or downloads from my website.

Of course if I just make the CDs on my computer or up load these and sell them I will be breaking the law, which I do not wish to do.

I assume that I need to get clearance from someone and pay over royalties to the original publishers.

Many thanks for your help in advance.
Baldo
Regular
"Never put a recording studio in your home, it is a black hole into which you can pour unlimited amounts of money" Pete Waterman.

Re: What do I need to do to sell compilation CDs / Downloads?

Postby garrettendi » Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:07 pm

A free and legal alternative - albeit one that won't earn you money - is to create a Spotify playlist, and direct them there.

As I say though, this won't get you any money.
garrettendi
Frequent Poster
Despite my post count, I know nothing. Think of me as the court jester!

Postby Baldo » Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:42 pm

Thanks for your reply.

Just to be clear, I am aware of the various FREE ways to get the music to them and this is not my objective. My objective is to make money from the fact that I have brought them some music that I discovered on my travels and education. I am running this venture as a business and not as a charity.

By all means they can go and search the internet for meditation music and trawl through the 1000s if not millions of tracks available to find the one they heard or something else. They are welcome to do that. Alternatively, they can save themselves the time and hassle and just buy it from me.

Hope that makes sense.
Baldo
Regular
"Never put a recording studio in your home, it is a black hole into which you can pour unlimited amounts of money" Pete Waterman.

Postby The Red Bladder » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:40 pm

Assuming that you do not own the rights to the music and have no contractual relationship with the distributors or owners, there is no legal way you can earn money by selling what is, in effect, other people's property.
The Red Bladder
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby blinddrew » Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:06 pm

And to get those rights will cost you far more than you will ever make from selling CDs.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby CS70 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:30 pm

Baldo wrote:Thanks for your reply.

Just to be clear, I am aware of the various FREE ways to get the music to them and this is not my objective. My objective is to make money from the fact that I have brought them some music that I discovered on my travels and education. I am running this venture as a business and not as a charity.

You can't sell the music directly because, as others point out, it's not yours to sell.

But, the tried and tested method to make money from your *knowledge* (in this case the knowledge of music that you discovered in your travels and education) is indirect: you need to attract an audience and that will allow you to do business: make a blog and when you have enough readers, you close ad deals or endorsing deals; market yourself as an expert and, since music isn't really a scientific field, all you need is reputation - and people will flock to your conferences and one-man workshops. And so forth.
CS70
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video  and the FB page

Postby James Perrett » Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:21 pm

blinddrew wrote:And to get those rights will cost you far more than you will ever make from selling CDs.

I wouldn't be so sure. If the composers aren't well known they may give you a good deal. However, there is no way you can do this without gaining permission from each artist and giving them a share of your income. You may even have to pay up front for permission to use the work.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby onestring » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:11 pm

Can you clarify specifically what your involvement is with the creation of the music in question? Did you write it? Did you record it?

If this is *not* your music but you sell homemade copies, that's not only illegal, it's unethical (understatement award, please). You have no right to be selling other people's work unless you license the masters AND the publishing.

This should not even be a question you have to ask.
onestring
Poster

Postby Mike Stranks » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:59 am

... and in addition to all that's been said, if you're playing other people's music and recordings in 'public' situations then you need a licence (PRS) in the UK to PLAY it in public - unless the venue is already licensed.

That's why you see PRS stickers in pubs, restaurants and village-halls etc...
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster
The older I get, the better I used to be

Postby Baldo » Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:09 pm

First of all thanks to everyone for your contributions. They are all much appreciated.

This is a tricky one. I think that James hit the nail on the head above. I can and have reached out to some of these obscure artists with a view to license / sell their music.

What I am looking to do is really just selling bits of plastic. Now before anyone gets their knickers in twist and all heated an emotional, I NOT advocating blatantly copying the CDs on my computer and selling those, without prior authorization. I am essentially acting as a CD retailer, in effect.

There is nothing stopping me from going along to my local HMV in Oxford St (although strictly speaking that is no longer my local since I have now moved to Germany! I have done a personal Brexit!!) buying a box load of CDs and then selling them at a profit at my events. Or for that matter, is there anything stopping me from selling my collection of over 1000 CDs on ebay or at a local car boot sale. Forget about the question of where I make money or not, that is not the question.

I was at an event recently where the speaker played certain music tracks and then we were able to buy the music tracks. I even bought one my self. Of course, if I wanted to, I could have just taken a picture of the CD cover, gone online and purchased the CD or downloaded the music. It may even have been cheaper, who knows. That is not what I wanted, I wanted to buy the CD there and then. The CD came in a plastic cover, (cost about 0.01p, if that) had a glossy print inside and looks like a home recorded CD, with the composers details printed on.

Clearly this speaker has gained (I assume) the license to either produce the CDs or just bought a whole load in bulk from the composer and sells them at his venues.

My question is really HOW can I do the same?

I know that I need to get permission from the relevant IP owners. HOW do I do this? Any music lawyers here who can help (for fee even)

Of course the alternative is to get someone to produce music that sounds similar to but not identical to the music that I am using and use that in my events and then sell that music.

What I am essentially doing is similar to selling branded t-shirts sold at a concert. I have a captive audience that is hot to buy the product which I sell them there and then. Of course I can also make the product available for them to buy online, for which I am asking a cut of the profit.

Make sense?
Baldo
Regular

Postby The Red Bladder » Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:33 pm

You cannot sell branded T-shirts either, unless you own, or have licensed the brand.
The Red Bladder
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Baldo » Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:50 pm

The Red Bladder wrote:You cannot sell branded T-shirts either, unless you own, or have licensed the brand.

Yes you can. You just buy a whole load of them and sell them. Whether you make money or not is another matter. There is nothing stopping me from buying several thousand T-shirts and then trying to sell them. The act of selling them is not illegal, just go to ebay and see.

Again, whether you make a profit or not is another question. In this post, the question is not how to make money, its how to sell, Legally.
Baldo
Regular

Postby Mike Stranks » Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:57 pm

I know you're no longer in the UK, but

https://www.prsformusic.com/

gives loads of info about what licences you need to do anything with pre-recorded music here. Red Bladder can advise on the situation in Germany. For PRS purposes, for using music in your events you're probably classed as a DJ...

Browse the site and you'll find that if you want to use music in it's existing recorded form - ie use a track, not make a new version of the piece - your only option is to make contact with the individual copyright holders of the recording. Those details will be on the individual CDs.
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster
The older I get, the better I used to be

Postby Alba » Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:15 pm

Alba
Frequent Poster

Postby patricia » Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:51 pm

I think getting permission sounds reasonable for some of the smaller artists.
But How about if the artist is a classical music artist dead ages ago?
patricia

Postby blinddrew » Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:56 pm

You'd still need to license the use of the recording from the copyright holder.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby desmond » Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:55 pm

Baldo wrote:The act of selling them is not illegal, just go to ebay and see.

If you are making legal, ethical and business decisions based on what is being sold on eBay, think again. :protest: :headbang:

Just because people get away with it, doesn't make it legal, ethical or anything else. People get away with all kinds of crap on ebay, because ebay don't care, they just want sales to go through and take their cut...
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:43 pm

Desmond, this is a six-month old thread revived today by 'Patricia'. Let's not rake over Baldo's misapprehensions again, eh?

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound