You are here

What's your favorite video editing software?

Advice on everything from getting your music heard to setting up a label and royalties.

What's your favorite video editing software?

Postby Eazy360 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:15 pm

When it comes to music videos i mostly use use Premiere-Pro but i might be missing out on something better. What do you guys use?
Eazy360
Poster

Re: What's your favorite video editing software?

Postby desmond » Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:07 pm

Final Cut Pro X.
Love it.
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby Mixedup » Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:20 pm

I use Final Cut Pro X. And I hate it with a passion :headbang: But I'm not about to waste money on another tool to do the same thing...
Mixedup
Jedi Poster

Postby blinddrew » Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:02 pm

I use final cut pro x at work and adobe premier at home.
I hate both of them equally but for different reasons.

If I was half as clever as I thought I could have been I would partner with someone to come up with a better programme than either.
Instead I just declare an exclusion zone around my desk and get really sweary every time I use them.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby desmond » Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:35 pm

You know, back in the days when I used to have to organise and tag tens of hours of footage (with Final Cut Pro 4-7, which I loved at first, it was pretty revolutionary), I used to curse often at how awful it was (in terms of the interface and the clip logging system).

FCP's tagging system is a *godsend* for organising and logging footage. I can do it way better, and in a fraction of the time.

For those that aren't liking FCPX, I'm curious as to the main issues for this?

I think the people that struggle with FCP are mostly struggling with the timeline, which is the one thing that's substantially different to more conventional editors. It's brilliant when it works, but there are times when you can think it's fighting with you (although recent versions have improved the toolset here) but once you've got a handle on the techniques on offer, it's really good.

The times when I moved something in a complex FCP7 project and didn't realise I had significantly broken stuff later on in the project (only to be discovered later) were numerous, but this doesn't really happen in FCPX anymore.
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby CS70 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:35 pm

Movie Studio 14. Amazing value for money, only thing's missing is track masking, and in need I use Resolve - which is also good for coloring.

Like all of them really but reason I choose MS is that it crashed much less than anything else I'd installed. :-)
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video  and the FB page

Postby blinddrew » Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:40 pm

desmond wrote:For those that aren't liking FCPX, I'm curious as to the main issues for this?
To be fair, I think the biggest issue I have with both is that I've spent a lifetime with windows-based programmes and they're both very different approaches. Neither of which I find particularly intuitive.
I think my main beef with FCPX is that you can't just "save as" and start a new version of the project if you want to try something you're not sure will work.
Interestingly I don't have a problem with the timeline at all, that makes perfect sense to me.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster

Postby desmond » Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:58 pm

blinddrew wrote:To be fair, I think the biggest issue I have with both is that I've spent a lifetime with windows-based programmes and they're both very different approaches. Neither of which I find particularly intuitive.

Fair enough.

blinddrew wrote:I think my main beef with FCPX is that you can't just "save as" and start a new version of the project if you want to try something you're not sure will work.

Sure you can - you can have as many timelines in your project as your want - you just duplicate your timeline, and continue to edit the new one. if you don't like it, you can just go back to the first version.

You can also do different "auditions", so you can try multiple different edits of a particular section within a timeline, and switch between them to see what works the best (even on the fly in a loop). Everything behind your section adjusts if the different edits have different lengths. It's very flexible.
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby dbfs » Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:35 pm

In terms of alternatives Hit Film looks really interesting.

https://hitfilm.com/pro

Light version is free and there are loads of videos on the site to get you going. Looks pretty impressive in my opinion.
dbfs
Regular
dbfs

Postby CS70 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:10 am

dbfs wrote:In terms of alternatives Hit Film looks really interesting.

https://hitfilm.com/pro

Light version is free and there are loads of videos on the site to get you going. Looks pretty impressive in my opinion.

It's pretty cool but on my computers tends to blow up a little too frequently :(
HitFilm plugins tough are super.
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video  and the FB page

Postby blinddrew » Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:40 am

Cheers Desmond, will have to have a further look. My knowledge is based on a colleague who claimed to know what he was doing but it's beginning to look like he's only ever dabbled in it.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster

Postby The Red Bladder » Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:37 pm

HitFilm and DaVinci-Resolve
The Red Bladder
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Steve A » Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:20 pm

Premiere Pro is a pretty decent and fully featured mature application though - especially if you are using a recent version which would have come as part of the CC bundle which also gives you After Effects etc (I do video production for a living and have used the suite for over 10 years without ever feeling any huge compulsion to change). I would be inclined to first ask what it is that you feel that Premiere can't do, or can't do easily for you before recommending you try something else. At this sort of level, it's a bit like asking which is the best DAW - they're all different, some prefer one over another but if you know what you doing, you'll be able to get decent results with all of them and you're often best sticking with what you know.
Steve A
Regular