You are here

Is it actually possible to make money from music anymore?

Advice on everything from getting your music heard to setting up a label and royalties.

Re: Is it actually possible to make money from music anymore?

Postby artzmusic » Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:11 pm

So I offered a piano player an opportunity to play a certain small gig which yielded only tips. He refused because their was no guarantee of at least $100. So I played it. Tips and CDs came to $140. Ha!

We took in a Don Kelly show to see his current lineup which includes a real showman bass player from Memphis. I've seen Don since the 80's and many world class musicians have debuted in his band. They PASS THE HAT unabashedly for their paycheck!

Don't miss this clip where the drummer falls right through the front window into Broadway.
https://www.tennessean.com/story/entertainment/2016/01/30/video-drummer-falls-out-window-roberts-western-world/79565172/

Rick
artzmusic
Regular

Postby CS70 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:06 pm

Sam Spoons wrote:It's also becoming more and more difficult to find anything truly original so the incentive for those interested in music to buy new music is limited as most is derivative.

Well, it's easy to forget but when you're 12 or 13 _any_ music is original. It doesn't matter that it's a I V VI IV, the first times you hear it, it's incredibly beautiful and catchy! Truly marvelous.

It's only our ..er.. wiser ears :-) which make us think that certain music is derivative (and certainly most stuff is, and not just now but since centuries..) - and it's not case that a lot of the music market was (and is) for quite young people.

I think we've lost a generation. But new kids don't have to think that recorded music is worthless - if there's way to pay for it and it's not possible to steal with impunity, recorded music will still be very interesting I think.
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby blue manga » Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:46 pm

As has been said PRS is pumping out the dough... MCPS also...
There's so many ways n models of making dosh with music - it's impossible to list them and examine each industry / sector...

Know what you want to do.
Know how that makes money.
Be honest with yourself if you are or ever will be good enough.
Work intelligently & passionately 24/7 to achieve it.
blue manga
Frequent Poster

Previous