You are here

Audiosparx Music Library. Any experiences?

Advice on everything from getting your music heard to setting up a label and royalties.

Audiosparx Music Library. Any experiences?

Postby KJF » Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:27 pm

I've filled in some preliminary stuff and have been 'accepted' by Audiosparx Music Library but I'm naturally interested if anyone has any first hand info about them. I found a rather lengthy thread which was helpful but alas, 4 years old. Things change. ..

My main concern is the 'in perpetuity' clause they have. The idea of NEVER being able to take your music down regardless seems way over the top - they seem to be getting the master tape withtout fronting up an advance. Very odd.

I'm hoping to pitch an album of stuff similar to this:

https://soundcloud.com/777kf/relentless

Are there any UK libraries that might be interested?

Cheers...
KJF
Regular

Re: Audiosparx Music Library. Any experiences?

Postby petev3.1 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:57 pm

Hi there KJF. I very much like 'Relentless'.

I've been recording and submitting classical guitar pieces to a library for while now. I have no idea which UK libraries want this sort of stuff but if it's any good it may be all of them, but not always at the same time or all the same time.

I was encouraged when I heard Lagrima playing on 'Top Gear', a show that is very careful with its music. I've been slowed down by bringing my playing up to speed and the difficulty of getting a good sound from my rather weird guitar (which is good but flawed), but my feeling is that classical guitar is a serious USP for sync composers. Whether it works well (for sync) as a solo instrument I'm unsure about, but i work with some sync-music folk who feel that it adds a lot of class to the music as icing on the cake, especially for programmed stuff.

I doubt you'll have any trouble getting into a decent library or two but whether you'll attract sales is the bigger question and afaik there's no way to predict it. Sometimes it seems to be a fashion thing. I'm hoping viewers become fed up with steel-string country-licks and suddenly want to hear something more nylon and intimate but it's a long-shot.
petev3.1
Frequent Poster

Postby ReadySaltedChris » Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:21 pm

petev3.1 wrote:I have no idea which UK libraries want this sort of stuff but if it's any good it may be all of them, but not always at the same time or all the same time...

...but my feeling is that classical guitar is a serious USP for sync composers.

Unfortunately not IMO. Well, not with the bigger UK music libraries anyway. Which is why they rarely release CG stuff (i.e. I don't think Extreme have any apart from a few Flamenco ones). I know from personal experience it's a bit of a no go area. Being a CG-ist by trade, I did a few CG pieces some 15 years ago and they've made about 3p in royalties. Then I was told by a knowledgeable library person to avoid it at all costs as it mostly gets used (if at all) on Spanish travel holiday programs. You won't hear it on the primetime reality and documentary stuff. It just ain't sexy and it can't help but sound 'Spanish' which immediately ethnicises it. That's all rather shallow but I think that is kinda how it is. Also, I think the bigger libraries have as much as they are ever gonna need already in their catalogues.

Don't know much about the RF and online library world but it might be that there's better prospects there.

It's a shame and good luck to you chaps in trying to place CG stuff with UK music libraries. Being a fan and ex-player of the instrument I do genuinely hope you crack it! And of course, this is just my experience. It might be that other people can relate a more positive story.
ReadySaltedChris
Regular

Postby petev3.1 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:17 pm

You may be right, ReadySalted, but I hear a lot of nylon-string stuff. Favourite examples would be Inspector Morse and Rosemary and Thyme. You'd be right about classical guitar music I expect, but CG can be used to play almost any kind of music. I'm sure Willie Nelson or Ed Sheeran would do okay.

Note to mods: 'Favourite has a 'u' in it and the spellchecker needs translating from US English, as they call it. I dislike the cultural bullying built into US spellcheckers and the degrading effect on our language.
petev3.1
Frequent Poster

Postby zenguitar » Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:51 pm

Note from Mods.

The Forum doesn't have a spellchecker. It's a browser feature ;)

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
When you see a fork in the road, take it.
Yogi Berra

Postby petev3.1 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:20 pm

Note to mods:

Oops.
petev3.1
Frequent Poster

Postby petev3.1 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:22 pm

As for Audiosparx - I would aim higher.
petev3.1
Frequent Poster

Postby blue manga » Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:28 pm

ReadySaltedChris wrote:
petev3.1 wrote:I have no idea which UK libraries want this sort of stuff but if it's any good it may be all of them, but not always at the same time or all the same time...

Unfortunately not IMO. Well, not with the bigger UK music libraries anyway.

Salted Readies is of course correct...

If u wanna push classical guitar beyond just Royalty Free clips... and into mainstream commercial library territory - ur gonna have to make 'tracks' - not just acoustic guitar compositions...

U could infuse the compositions into various music / production styles... all the way from Hiphop, Dance, Sound Design, Rock etc etc... If u can't produce whole tracks yourself - perhaps team up with a producer..

Audiosparx looks like a waste of time to me...
- and even with them, if u search 'Classical Guitar'
- u get "1000 Results Found
For: classical guitar"

And they are 'tracks' as well...
blue manga
Frequent Poster

Postby ReadySaltedChris » Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:48 pm

blue manga wrote:
ReadySaltedChris wrote:

Unfortunately not IMO. Well, not with the bigger UK music libraries anyway.

If u wanna push classical guitar beyond just Royalty Free clips... and into mainstream commercial library territory - ur gonna have to make 'tracks' - not just acoustic guitar compositions...

U could infuse the compositions into various music / production styles... all the way from Hiphop, Dance, Sound Design, Rock etc etc... If u can't produce whole tracks yourself - perhaps team up with a producer..

Audiosparx looks like a waste of time to me...
- and even with them, if u search 'Classical Guitar'
- u get "1000 Results Found
For: classical guitar"

And they are 'tracks' as well...

I don't think Guitar-Spheres has been done :)
ReadySaltedChris
Regular

Postby blue manga » Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:43 pm

... oh yeh... now... why was that again ?

Tip to the OP : Take up Piano !!
blue manga
Frequent Poster

Postby ReadySaltedChris » Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:54 pm

blue manga wrote:... oh yeh... now... why was that again ?

Tip to the OP : Take up Piano !!

:) Very good advice pal.
ReadySaltedChris
Regular

Postby petev3.1 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:21 pm

blue manga wrote:
ReadySaltedChris wrote:Unfortunately not IMO. Well, not with the bigger UK music libraries anyway.

U could infuse the compositions into various music / production styles... all the way from Hiphop, Dance, Sound Design, Rock etc etc... If u can't produce whole tracks yourself - perhaps team up with a producer.....

This is what I was getting at, I wasn't suggesting there's much of a market for Sor studies.
petev3.1
Frequent Poster

Postby Marbury » Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:21 am

I have had my music with them for a few years and used to get pretty decent sales but now as rare as hens teeth. Ditto for sound effects.
Marbury
Frequent Poster

Postby topaz » Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:27 am

I was one of the lucky ones who signed my contract before they changed from 5 years to perpetual.

No more statements of 0.0 $

No more payments of 60$ - this and - that leaving peanuts.

Today I say a bitter farewell to audiosparx the worse production music company I have ever dealt with.
topaz
New here

Postby ReadySaltedChris » Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:25 am

topaz wrote:Today I say a bitter farewell to audiosparx the worse production music company I have ever dealt with.

I think congrats is in order! :)

AudioSparx.

852,000 trax (which are mostly awful).

Perhistoric search facility.

Website which looks like it's influenced by Yahoo Geocities ca. 1997.

Never ever seen 'em on a cue sheet (in 15 years of looking through 'em).

What's not to like?
ReadySaltedChris
Regular

Postby topaz » Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:36 am

Ahh maybe that’s why I didnt get **+* from them. Nobody could find me (-;

www.completecycle.bandcamp.com
topaz
New here

Postby ReadySaltedChris » Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:32 pm

Apologies - I spelt prehistoric wrong.
ReadySaltedChris
Regular