You are here

Trade magazines with registries??

Advice on everything from getting your music heard to setting up a label and royalties.

Trade magazines with registries??

Postby Kinh » Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:40 am

Looking for trade magazines where you can find key info on which A&Rs represent which publishing co and labels and which artist's catalogue they're responsible for. Also newly signed artists under each label and upcoming album forecasts for established artists.
I thought Billboard biz was the place to be, but it appears to be just general promotional stuff geared towards the general public. I think I can remember when it was a $300 subscription, now it's like $15 so I dont know what's going on there. Is there anything else out there?
Kinh
Regular

Re: Trade magazines with registries??

Postby James Perrett » Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:22 pm

What part of the world are you in?

For the UK I'd look at Music Week.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby Kinh » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:22 am

Australia but im interested in US
Kinh
Regular

Postby Matt Houghton » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:31 am

It's year's since I looked into this stuff, but The Unsigned Guide used to do this sort of thing quite well back in the day (about 10-15 years ago, when I used to get the print version). Perhaps someone with more recent knowledge of their web database could comment on whether it remains a good source of info?
Matt Houghton
Frequent Poster
SOS Reviews Editor

Postby James Perrett » Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:47 pm

The Unsigned Guide still seems pretty good - I get their regular emails but haven't used their directory. However it is another UK focused site so probably not much use to the OP. There is also the Showcase directory - I used to get the print edition regularly but haven't used their online offering. In the old days it wasn't as good as the Music Week directory if you wanted to know more about what a company did.

However, these days the web is going to give you far more info than the directories can so it is best to treat a directory as a starting point and go to the website of any companies that look interesting.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page