You are here

Streaming or dreaming? Tune in to Choon

Advice on everything from getting your music heard to setting up a label and royalties.

Streaming or dreaming? Tune in to Choon

Postby Guest » Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:40 am

‘alf a chance, or clutching at straws, either way it’s wot us poor sad ol’ musos are good at innit.

https://www.choon.co/

This is similar to more how I’ve envisaged it and the geezer is a player…

I’m cynically dubious, but time alone will tell…

Re: Streaming or dreaming? Tune in to Choon

Postby Sam Spoons » Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:06 am

I love the understatedness (new word ;) ) of this sentence "The current music industry no longer represents the interests of the most important people: artists and listeners." If he'd said "music 'business'" he'd have got it almost right, then delete the "no longer"and replace with "does not" and you have it.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Guest » Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:54 am

Yes Sam sir, I’m always wary of those that wish to ‘elp us poor ol’ musos, I actually paid a publisher 8 squids to publish (not) a piece, when I was still wet behind the ears far too many moons agone to contemplate.

The only reason I posted was for some of you lot to get on board, reason being it’s in beta mode and won’t go public ‘til spring so there’s not much time left to get on board for the official launch.

They seem to Um+Ahh it as they also state that they might not take your work, this, depending on the quality of their er, experts? is a good thing, attempting to sort da chiff from da chaff.

I’m assuming that, initially, the working beta model won’t consist of 100,000’s of choons, nevermind millions upon millions on Spotty dick and its ilk, possibly only hundreds or thousands, maybe 10’s of thousands…

I’m also assuming that the beta will be unveiled to music biz big-wigs so that kind of exposure could… this is wot does it for me... get me drift lad.

Don’t cost owt, worth a punt is me reasoning nowt else.

They’re also gonna provide a remix platform where one can upload stems for others to remix on a 50/50 split, neat idea methinks.

The cynic in me tells me a minnow can’t eat a shark, but then again mighty oaks from tiddly little acorns grow innit.

Beggars cain’t be choosers bruv, now where did I put me plastic cup.

Postby blinddrew » Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:57 am

Certainly worth a butcher's.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Headbits » Wed May 09, 2018 1:55 pm

I uploaded my new album Perfect Menu by Big Burger. I’m hoping this will finally be the fair deal artists have been looking for.
Headbits

Postby soundavenue » Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:45 pm

I've been on Choon as well since a few weeks. They have so many interesting features to come in the next weeks & months..
soundavenue

Postby CS70 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:28 pm

soundavenue wrote:I've been on Choon as well since a few weeks. They have so many interesting features to come in the next weeks & months..

Er, interesting how both you and Headbits joined SOS forums yesterday just to say this - and Headbits never visited again ;)
CS70
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video  and the FB page

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:37 pm

More names for the watch list! :shh:
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Alba » Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:09 am

Ooh goody, a thread about tunes... this is a tune, geezer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5KOiFDg3HY
Alba
Frequent Poster

Postby Guest » Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:25 am

There’s def a need for something like this, but not by chummy bizness types like at Choon who seem to think they’re doing the artists a favour when it’s actually the reverse.

It still in beta, as far as I can tell and it relies on the ‘more the merrier approach,’ they don’t A+R it, ‘oo could, so those wiv a massive following will top da chart, good for Choon, not so for other artists with little or no following…

You get ‘paid’ notes, every morning there’s an email detailing how much you’ve ‘earnt’? I got 30 odd thousand to date, for a few hundred plays, got no idea how much that’s worth, def 0.something though, and it’s even possible I might even owe them money for all the info they give out…

But there ain’t that much stuff on there.

I sorta wish ‘em well, but I just cain’t see it ‘appening.

I, others, don’t need a label or a distributer just a platform…maybe one day I suppose… I don’t mind folk making dosh outa my work provided I get the bulk of it, the only winners will be companies like Choon who will rake in a percentage of everyone’s uploads and the half a dozen or so social media types who will top the sites dreary charts for months on end…