You are here

Web hosting recommendations

Advice on everything from getting your music heard to setting up a label and royalties.

Web hosting recommendations

Postby Gone To Lunch » Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:17 am

Your suggestions please.

Just something simple that will allow me to have a songwriter/composer calling card.

I will need to embed tracks from SoundCloud, a few pics and a bio page.

Preferably without naff templates of gig pictures etc.

I am currently with GoDaddy who want £144 for another year.
Gone To Lunch
Frequent Poster

Re: Web hosting recommedations

Postby ore_terra » Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:21 am

We use wordpress for the band, and it’s much cheaper (30 something, I think)
ore_terra
Frequent Poster

Postby bill555 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:49 am

144 a year aint bad but anyway:

Webs.com: free version, very nicely featured for it. Best of all you can have a name like yourname.webs.com so it's closer to being yourname.com than anything else for free.

Wix.com: more full-featured and I think has a free version but also pretty inexpensive options.
bill555
Regular

Web Hosting services

Postby jerryperes » Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:59 am

The US-based web hosting organization is one of the biggest in the game and probably the best known one as well. It is also the largest domain name registrar in the world with tens of millions of domain brands in its portfolio. GoDaddy’s lowest priced web hosting offer is reasonably kitted out at £4 per month excluding VAT (when you sign up for an annual subscription).
jerryperes

Postby Still Vibrations » Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:53 am

My wife uses https://www.zen.co.uk which is something like £68 p/a (excluding domain name) and they really are excellent.
I use https://www.easyspace.com which are about the same but can be irritating at times although I will probably stay with them, they are improving all the time.
Then there are various carbon neutral ISPs such as https://runbox.com which I haven't used for web hosting but I have my secure email address hosted with them - as an email provider they are also very good.
The advice usually given is register, or transfer, your domain name with a separate domain name hosting company so that should you move your website to another ISP you just need to change the DNS settings.
Although it may be extreme I have my domain name with one provider, web site hosted with another, and email with a third. I also make sure my email is hosted outside U.S./E.U jurisdiction - in my case Canada and Switzerland. And I use a VPN.
Still Vibrations
Regular
"It’s like the whole thing about punk is that you do brilliantly ambitious things very stupidly."  - Maria Damon (I think!)

Postby ReadySaltedChris » Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:11 am

I find Squarespace to be very good.
ReadySaltedChris
Regular

Postby James Perrett » Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:12 pm

If I was looking for hosting now I would probably look at TSOHost who have packages starting at 99p per month (though this price doesn't seem to be on their website - only on adverts that I've seen).

https://www.tsohost.com/

I'm with Vidahost (who are part of the same company) and have always found them very helpful whenever I've had a problem.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby desmond » Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:18 pm

ReadySaltedChris wrote:I find Squarespace to be very good.

Squarespace has amazing tech and is great for non-technical folks who want to get a swish site together quickly - the main problem here is that you are building your site on their platform, which means you don't own it, nor can you take it someplace else. The moment you don't want to use Squarespace any more, you have to take your raw content, and build a new site from scratch elsewhere. That's the main thing that turns me off from them.

I've just switched hosting for mu:zines, and I'm *very* happy with the new host so far... http://smarthosting.co.uk
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby OneWorld » Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:25 pm

Still Vibrations wrote:My wife uses https://www.zen.co.uk which is something like £68 p/a (excluding domain name) and they really are excellent.

Eons ago when I used to work in the computer industry we started to use Zen in favour of btinternet, and Zen's support and service was exemplary.

That said we used them for broadband as opposed to hosting so cannot comment on that, but if their hosting is anything like their broadband service then they are a very helpful company.
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Trevor Johnson » Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:24 pm

If I was looking for hosting now I would probably look at TSOHost who have packages starting at 99p per month (though this price doesn't seem to be on their website - only on adverts that I've seen).

+1 for TSO, I have used them for years without having any issues and they are not expensive.
Trevor Johnson
Regular

Postby markoos » Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:43 pm

I would say avoid TSO like the plague - looking forward to leaving them before renewal. I've had two sites with them and the've been nothing but trouble when setting up fresh WP installs and making changes to templates. What about Krystal?
markoos
Regular

Postby desmond » Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:21 pm

markoos wrote:What about Krystal?

Krystal is the business-facing other half of my recommendation above - same company, different brand and targetting.
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby markoos » Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:05 pm

OP, there's an offer by 1&1 giving you a .co.uk domain, email and hosting for 99p for 12months.

Seems like a good deal but not sure about the soundcloud integration, unless you've got your own site you're migrating across. They host wordpress so I think soundcloud can be embedded fairly easily (supposedly).

https://www.1and1.co.uk/tariffselect

"All-in-one web package"
"WEBSITE + DOMAIN + E-MAIL ADDRESS"
"TIME LIMITED OFFER SAVE £48"
"12 months £0.99 /month"
markoos
Regular

Postby markoos » Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:08 pm

desmond wrote:Krystal is the business-facing other half of my recommendation above - same company, different brand and targetting.

I think smart/krystal will be my next host. Got the 99p (ex VAT!) 1&1 deal for another project, so let's see how it works out over the next month or two.
markoos
Regular

Postby Gone To Lunch » Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:16 pm

Thank you all for your contributions.

In the end I gave up and renewed with GoDaddy.

Easier with the devil you know.
Gone To Lunch
Frequent Poster

Postby Still Vibrations » Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:36 am

desmond wrote:
markoos wrote:What about Krystal?

Krystal is the business-facing other half of my recommendation above - same company, different brand and targetting.

Would you recommend one over the other?
Still Vibrations
Regular
"It’s like the whole thing about punk is that you do brilliantly ambitious things very stupidly."  - Maria Damon (I think!)

Postby desmond » Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:11 am

Still Vibrations wrote:Would you recommend one over the other?

No, as I have no idea of your budget and requirements.

Here's a comparison between the services:
https://www.bestwebhosting.co.uk/smart-vs-krystal

As they say, Smart is "Value-orientated home users and small business" and Krystal is "Quality-orientated professionals and enterprise".
desmond
Jedi Poster

Re: Web hosting recommendations

Postby Dave B » Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:43 pm

I'm with EUKHost which costs me 40quid a year plus whatever my domain renewal is every couple of years. I'm trying to remember if they are the ones recommended to me by a colleague or whether I found them myself. I'm relatively happy with them but would consider someone else if I thought I could do better..
Dave B
Jedi Poster
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi (I came, I saw, I conkered)

Postby Still Vibrations » Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:51 am

I am going to have to find a new website host as my .eu domain is going to be sunset, this means it's a good opportunity to find a new host. I have done some research and there seem to be some really good hosts based outside UK/EU/US jurisdiction such as Canada, Norway, Switzerland and Iceland. The Norwegian and Icelandic companies are often run on 100% renewable energy as well. I know Canada is part of Five Eyes but I don't think that's a problem, it's political snooping that concerns me.
Still Vibrations
Regular

Postby wireman » Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:04 am

Still Vibrations wrote:I am going to have to find a new website host as my .eu domain is going to be sunset,...

How is any future domain change connected to your hosting?
wireman
Regular

Next