You are here

Which Collection Agency for Producer/Engineer/Performer

Advice on everything from getting your music heard to setting up a label and royalties.

Which Collection Agency for Producer/Engineer/Performer

Postby Dave Rowles » Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:48 pm

Hi All,

I'm getting hideously confused about collections agencies.

I've played on/produced/engineered an album recently which the artist is going to push around and see if he can get some people playing. It might be worth registering for that.

However, I may have the opportunity to record/produce an album for an artist who will very likely make some significant sales. In which case I need to register now!

But I've no idea which ones are best. PRS, MCPS, PPL, etc. I'm just confused, and trying to work out if I need to just register with all of them, or if I can get away with just one...

Cheers
Dave Rowles
Frequent Poster
http://www.manninmusic.com Bandcamp
Sound Engineer, Music Teacher, Isle of Man

Re: Which Collection Agency for Producer/Engineer/Performer

Postby James Perrett » Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:40 pm

I'd always assumed that you'd negotiate with the client if you wanted a share of the royalties as they're the ones that actually get paid. However, I've always gone for a fixed fee so no real experience of royalty deals for engineers. I'd guess that Jack is the most likely person to know.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Re: Which Collection Agency for Producer/Engineer/Performer

Postby CS70 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:06 am

Dave Rowles wrote:Hi All,

I'm getting hideously confused about collections agencies.

I've played on/produced/engineered an album recently which the artist is going to push around and see if he can get some people playing. It might be worth registering for that.

However, I may have the opportunity to record/produce an album for an artist who will very likely make some significant sales. In which case I need to register now!

But I've no idea which ones are best. PRS, MCPS, PPL, etc. I'm just confused, and trying to work out if I need to just register with all of them, or if I can get away with just one...

Cheers

Here we have two - one organization which collects and distributes fees for live shows from clubs and venues, and one which collects royalties for broadcast or other form of mechanical playback. They make annual or bi-annual payments. You need to be member of both and register your works (and live shows) to receive your dues.

However, as James says, you have to agree with the artist - if you're hired for a session for example it's typical that you get paid a flat fee and that's it. If you are the composer on the other side, it's common to get a share of the proceedings, and so forth. As a composer, you get also royalties every time your composition is played or covered by other artists (so long they register their show, of course, or declared their recording to be a cover of your composition for mechanical royalties).
CS70
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video  and the FB page