You are here

I have $10,000 to devote to marketing. What should it go toward?

Advice on everything from getting your music heard to setting up a label and royalties.

I have $10,000 to devote to marketing. What should it go toward?

Postby vignmusic » Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:43 am

I've been making music for about 2 years now but haven't really dipped my toes into marketing yet. I've done some research but nothing too extensive. I have about $10,000 that I'd be willing to devote solely to marketing (and before anyone tells me what else I should spend it on, I have more saved for other areas of my music). What are the best ways you guys can think of for me to spend it? Thanks!

Also I've considered using bits of it to:
- boost posts on social media
- hire someone already good at marketing
- buy equipment to play live shows
- bribe music bloggers? idk hahah

No idea how effective any of those could be though.
vignmusic

Re: I have $10,000 to devote to marketing. What should it go toward?

Postby ef37a » Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:05 pm

Give it to me and I will help you with the marketing when I get back about October from my cruise.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby johnny h » Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:31 pm

You don't say what kind of music you make or are interested in performing. Promo companies exist which will help you get featured and reviewed in relevant media. If your music sucks it still won't get any love, however.

Don't waste too much money on FB, its declining in importance. Instagram is more relevant these days, so buy yourself the latest iPhone and take lots of pictures of your shows (or hire a tour manager / photographer to come with you).
johnny h
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Jumpeyspyder » Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:52 pm

first thing to do is find out if there is a market for your product.
(no ammount of advertising will increase sales of chocolate fireguards!)

Second, find out who is interested in your product.
If you are already selling product (CDs, downloads,T shirts Gig Tickets) it should be easier to determine
(Age, gender, culture/ subculture, genre etc
Where do they go? what do they read? Are there other products that share the same market values?)

third, target advertising on either 'that demographic' or trying to expand into new demograhics:-
Jumpeyspyder
Frequent Poster

Postby CS70 » Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:59 am

Forget new gear, alas. :)

Obviously you think you have a good musical product that can capture audiences if it reaches them. If you aren’t sure, a way to gauge that is to do little toe-dip inexpensive, digital marketing and look at the result. The percentages that constitute a good result vary wirh the medium and type: if you can target your audience (typically you make a consistent genre of music with.a specific, well defined and stable set of listeners which can be concretely defined) you should see a hugher return rate than otherwise.

Done that, it’s worth looking at spending the big bucks, Visual content reigns supreme these days, so you really want pictures, videos etc. The obvious outlets are TVs in trad media and bloggers + instagram/youtube/vimeo online, plus facebook videos.

Gathering info on, say, relevant bloggers, their contact info and open a channel i easy for low numbers, but a big big job for the numbers you need to make a blip, so you’ll need a specialized bureau.

Finally: 50K is a quite large budget, it’s probably better to split it over a number of campaigns
CS70
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video  and the FB page

Postby blinddrew » Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:30 pm

It sounds to me that spending some of it on some professional marketing advice wouldn't be bad start.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...