You are here

I am new my name is Michelle how do i get people to put down the notes for me?

Advice on everything from getting your music heard to setting up a label and royalties.

I am new my name is Michelle how do i get people to put down the notes for me?

Postby michellestrebe » Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:54 pm

How do I get people to put down the notes to the song. I only know how to write songs but not put the notes together. I am a country pop and Christian song writer. I just need advice on it because I only want to write songs for other singers.
michellestrebe

Re: I am new my name is Michelle how do i get people to put down the notes for me?

Postby The Elf » Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:39 pm

Hi and welcome, Michelle! :)

Maybe you could hire the time of someone who can translate your songs into music/tablature for you?

But... do you really feel this is necessary?

I don't know of any musicians who seek out new songs through sheet music. Most of them wouldn't be able to read it anyway. A better approach may be to just record your songs and get them out there for other musicians to hear - I would think that that will do far more to sell them than any amount of dots on staves.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Re: I am new my name is Michelle how do i get people to put down the notes for me?

Postby michellestrebe » Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:58 pm

I don't have the money to pay someone to write the notes for me.
michellestrebe

Postby The Elf » Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:35 pm

Then I would suggest simply recording your songs and getting them out there. Potential performers of your songs will want to *hear* them, not read them.

Even if you simply record using your phone you can at least get some feedback as to whether anyone would be interested.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby blinddrew » Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:18 pm

What The Elf said ^^^
Record it on your phone, stick it on youtube (with a private link if you want), and send it to your contacts. That's how I share new songs with my band prior to taking them to rehearsal.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby ef37a » Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:05 pm

If you really want the dots and can play the basic melody on guitar and get it into a PC there is software that can turn it into a basic score. Better if you have a MIDI keyboard.

Have a look at the "Forte" website.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby garrettendi » Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:43 am

ef37a has a good suggestion, although I do agree with Elf.

If you already have a MIDI keyboard and can play it, you can use MuseScore which will record your MIDI data as you play, and transcribe it to sheet music. You will need to really play it on time though to make the most of this feature.

MuseScore is free software, and I use it at home. It's not Sibelius, but it's free (Sibelius is probably best but very expensive)
garrettendi
Frequent Poster
"I mean, Led Zeppelin didn't write tunes that everyone liked. They left that to the Bee Gees"Wayne Campbell (Wayne's World)

Postby Zukan » Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:48 pm

Musos nowadays can read scores?
Zukan

Postby ef37a » Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:18 pm

Zukan wrote:Musos nowadays can read scores?

Well my son reads very well and would I am sure transcribe that lady's music for nothing since he is a soft touch!
I shall NOT be putting them in contact, "proper" musicians have a hard enough time earning a crust as it is!

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Uncle Freddie » Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:25 pm

Michelle,

Just play your songs by ear into GarageBand. Then use the Score Editor to see the musical notes you played. Give that score (and/or the entire project) to the people you want to work with.

Fred
Uncle Freddie
Poster

Postby Forum Admin » Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:31 pm

Perhaps if the OP told us what instruments she plays, or is it just vocals? it would help us to help you.
Forum Admin
Location: A studio deep in the fenlands of Cambridgeshire, UK
SEARCH SOS 10,861 articles: www.soundonsound.com/search
FREE Full Issue PDF Digital Mag: https://sosm.ag/FreePDF

Postby OneWorld » Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:26 pm

michellestrebe wrote:How do I get people to put down the notes to the song. I only know how to write songs but not put the notes together. I am a country pop and Christian song writer. I just need advice on it because I only want to write songs for other singers.

At risk of sounding patronising, but there is a process and it's called 'learning to read music' same as anything else in life, no pain, no gain :-(

There are many apps/utilities/gizmos that will as good as write music for you, but as you might imagine the results tend to be formulaic.

Imagine preparing a meal - you can either a) go to the supermarket and buy a meal-in-a-box, or b) buy all the fresh ingredients, buying good quality produce, then going home and preparing the meals as per the recipe. Which do you reckon will taste best, and be more nourishing?

This is not to say dis-regard any 'labour saving devices' make use of them by all means, but to assist rather than to substitute.

Having said that, learning music, or anything else useful come to that, is both enjoyable and useful as a newly acquired skill. But in common with many complex concepts, it seems beyond reach at first, but as you become more confident, it gets easier and starts to make more sense.

In the meantime, how to get your song into music - to transcribe them.

There are various softwares such as Melodyne, this takes the audio component, more usually the lead vocal, and after capturing the sound, analyses it and represents the notes graphically as a 'blob' it will also display the note value in terms of pitch. But again you need some musical knowledge to make efficient use of the software as although Melodyne can 'fix' the pitch and quantization (the note appears correctly in time relative to the song) but if yo are musically ignorant of these factors, then how do you know the 'fix' is correct and if not, given the opportunity to fix the pitch manually, how do you know you have fixed the pitch correctly?

What would I do? Sign up for some piano lessons, explain you only want to learn the rudiments, that'll be enough to get you going, then as part of the lesson you might ask the teacher to play the notes you're singing. With some more amenable teachers, they might even welcome something more creative that the usual bread and butter graded exams they take the student through.

Failing that, get a guitar, get on YouTube and there is no end of free tutorials - 3 months consistent study (eg an hour a night) will see results. None of it will come in an instant, but there again, with any fulfilling endeavour - nothing's good that's rushed. Best of luck, and of course, we all know, hard work and good luck walk along hand in hand!
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby ef37a » Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:35 pm

If my wife is cooking...SUPERMARKET cook-chill everytime!

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby OneWorld » Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:48 pm

Zukan wrote:Musos nowadays can read scores?

This reminds of a programme that was on TV some years ago and it was called 'Faking It'

In each episode there was an expert/professional, a 'chancer' who could be sort of ok'ish, a complete novice.

The skill was DJ'ing - the contestants comprised - a fully paid up pro DJ with an international reputation, who boasted he had no musical knowledge at all and "all that was out of date, just for old fuddy duddies", a skilled club DJ who had built up a local following but could never make the leap into industry interest and got by doing weddings and the odd party night etc and finally a young lady who was a student cello player at the RCM, who 'liked to party' but her cello and classical music was her all consuming passion.

They performed a few DJ sets before a panel of highly regarded A&R, Agent, Producer, Label Owner and they had to ascertain who was the pro, dabbler, novice.

The cello player wiped the floor with he competition, her highly developed sense of timing, rhythm, general musicality meant her moves from one piece of music to another were flawless, right on the beat, she even went on to experiment by have several tunes at the ready, that were same BPM, but might go from Major to Minor, or even a different key, then go back to the original - and she had all this nailed after only a few days practice, she fell straight straight into it, not just skilfully but with a commanding flair.

She went on to win and was immediately offered a job on the DJ circuit which she was told would be "quite lucrative" but she turned down the offer because as much as she enjoyed the DJ'ing she did not find it as challenging nor as enjoyable as playing a particularly tortuous piece by Bach, saying the dance music would get her to her feet, but the classical music roused passions in her something banging along at the prescriptive 134 BPM simply could not do - so she said it was a case of "Thanks but no thanks, I might enjoy the money, yes, but not as much as playing my cello and learning all I can about music"

That's what I call dedication!
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby resistorman » Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:50 am

The best thing about this forum is that if you’re a troll you get so many genuine offers of help that you get bored and go away.
resistorman
Frequent Poster