You are here

Buy-out Vs royalty advice

Advice on everything from getting your music heard to setting up a label and royalties.

Buy-out Vs royalty advice

Postby forumuser841644 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:53 pm

Hello. First post here. Although I'm a pretty established composer/ programmer I'm a bit stuck with a recent request.

In short, a feature length band documentary's producer has come to me for a soundtrack following the original composer going AWOL.

The deadline is ridiculous (as usual) but I will be able to write it without hiring the LSO so I can keep costs down.

My problem is:

- They will moan about budget
- The band will not want to pay out a publishing backend for broadcasts/mech for DVD sales

My plan is to offer a buyout price but also offer a rolling royalty cut instead when they tell me they're low on budget.

What is a realistic buyout fee? The film is 80 mins, the band is big, the production will be premiered in theatres then sold on DVD and likely broadcast after a short time.
forumuser841644

Re: Buy-out Vs royalty advice

Postby Mr Showbiz » Sun Aug 05, 2018 2:30 am

Seeing this post is over 3 months old, specific advice is now useless.

Tell us, what was the outcome?

My approach to these type of negotiations is to name my price, based on my rate and a precise calculation of any additional recording costs, based on what the client wants.

Once floated out there, if the client feels it's not in their budget, I ask them for their figure. Once I have that, I see what type of job I could do for that fee and tell them what they would get (ie; no live string, brass, even any players) at that price point.

If it's really low, I consider what number of hours I would be prepared to work for the fee and ask myself could I do a job that I would be prepared to put my name to in that time frame.

For me this type of approach depersonalises the fees negotiation situation and keeps it 'strictly business.'
Mr Showbiz
Poster