You are here

Ways to incentivise fans to tip and to thank them for it

Advice on everything from getting your music heard to setting up a label and royalties.

Ways to incentivise fans to tip and to thank them for it

Postby volareolive » Tue May 01, 2018 9:18 am

Hi Everyone,

I am new here on this forum. I am working on a project called Volareo. We make a blockchain connected smart speaker, the worlds first. However, I am not here to sell it (although I would appreciate it if you signed up to keep up on our progress :angel: ). Actually, it isn't even a real thing yet!

I am here to ask you a question. Blockchain services like Musicoin have been experimenting with tipping as an extra way to earn revenue for musicians. We believe however, that simply having the option to tip is not enough. You need to incentivise your listeners to it. Thus we are trying to think of ways to give back to tippers and give them a reason to tip. WE don't want to do empty promising so we want to know what musicians actually would be willing to do. Therefor, the question is; What would you do for someone who tipped you?

Some ideas we already had are: Special releases (longer versions jam sessions you name it), Q&A with top monthly tippers, podcasts for top tippers. etc etc. you name it! Please let me know what your ideas are on the whole matter. I am super interested in your opinion!
volareolive
Worlds first blockchain connected smart speaker. Sign up at bit.ly/volareo . Join the movement and together let's break down the barriers between musicians and fans. 

Re: Ways to incentivise fans to tip and to thank them for it

Postby desmond » Tue May 01, 2018 10:09 am

This whole thing is an area of really blurry lines, really. Some thoughts:-

Imo, if the point of "tipping" is to get extra things that people who don't tip don't get, then it's no longer a "tip", it's "paying for extras" or a "premium support" or something.

If you are going to use language like "tip", then it is a way for fans to give you support for what you do - not as a way to get extra things, or rewards, or bonus material.

For me (and everyone's use cases and opinions will vary of course), the best way to "incentivise" people to support your project is to be excellent, communicative, be in it for the long haul, be thankful, work hard and provide good regular content. A proportion of your visitors (never enough!) will recognise this and want to help.

It can also help to have more clear goals than "give us your money" - eg "we need $XX for this thing and we need your help to get there" as a call to action.

If you really want to provide a range of options for people to support your project, try and keep it simple, and make it clear what the options are. You don't want to be asking for money every five minutes as it looks a bit desperate, but you want to let your visitor understand how they can help, what the options are, and how valuable that help is.

I just think that providing exclusive content or rewards to "tippers" as an incentive to tip is a bit disrespectful to your fans - you may have some great fans who can't afford to give money, but now start to feel annoyed that content you've made is withheld from them because they can't "tip".

So it's all a balance of interrelating variables that are unique for every project. Don't be afraid to experiment - often you might find that something you thought would be a good incentive isn't, and some other mechanism you felt wouldn't work is surprisingly effective. It's difficult to predict crowd dynamics!
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby blinddrew » Tue May 01, 2018 10:19 am

I'm with Desmond on this (excellent summary!), a tip is voluntarily given as a gesture of thanks, not in direct exchange for something. That seems more like a paid fan-club type thing. They're both good options but I'd keep them separate, or maybe shift the wording perhaps?
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Tue May 01, 2018 11:38 am

I agree. The concept is sound, but the language is misleading.

A tip is paid in recognition of receiving good (or exceptional) service.

What you are describing is paying for optional bonus features -- something that would typically involve subscribing to a fan-club.

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby volareolive » Tue May 01, 2018 2:44 pm

Hi all,

Thanks for your feedback. Super interesting to hear your side of the story. The blockchain community has a different view on it than the 'traditional' side apparently. But that is totally fine and I see your points.
I'd like to add to the original statement that musicians are free to chose wether to implement this or not. Tipping always exists but tipping for benefit doesn't. The reason we decided on implementing something like this is that tipping in the music industry is not normal anymore. Much like early live streamers had benefits we want to use it to get the audience ready to tip freely again.
Benefits don't have to be locked to top tippers at all ether. That is an interesting part of the question. One could see a world where all tippers get the benefits. Just having tipped once would unlock acces for example (tips go for as low as a cent with current market values of crypto coin).

Would that change your view?
volareolive
Worlds first blockchain connected smart speaker. Sign up at bit.ly/volareo . Join the movement and together let's break down the barriers between musicians and fans. 

Postby desmond » Tue May 01, 2018 2:57 pm

My view remains as stated above. I don't know much about the blockchain community, but if it's a community you understand you should already have a feel for what's appropriate for that community.

I don't really have anything to add as I think anything more useful would have to be from someone who also has experience with that community and can make appropriate suggestions...
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby volareolive » Tue May 01, 2018 3:07 pm

desmond wrote:I don't really have anything to add as I think anything more useful would have to be from someone who also has experience with that community and can make appropriate suggestions...
Anyone can make appropriate suggestions. I am really happy with what you already gave me. In the end we would like to create something that everyone is happy with.We aim to make blockchain something we can all benefit from because it does have great benefits for the music industry. It is all about finding a balance between both cases.
Tom
volareolive