You are here

Gibson files for bankruptcy

Advice on everything from getting your music heard to setting up a label and royalties.

Re: Gibson files for bankruptcy

Postby Dr R » Fri May 25, 2018 9:07 pm

I have been into more guitar shops in the last five months than in my entire previous half century. The welcoming ones are usually very blokey, and the others seem to resent you interrupting their practicing or surfing. Intimidating for anyone, but I can imagine it would be much worse for novice women. Like garages still are in many places.
Dr R
Regular
My ambition: To one day have enough experience to answer technical questions on the SOS forums, as well as asking them 

Postby Folderol » Fri May 25, 2018 10:56 pm

Dr R wrote:I have been into more guitar shops in the last five months than in my entire previous half century. The welcoming ones are usually very blokey, and the others seem to resent you interrupting their practicing or surfing. Intimidating for anyone, but I can imagine it would be much worse for novice women. Like garages still are in many places.
Brings back a memory :)
My mum used to terrorise garage mechanics through the 50s and 60s when they tried bullshitting her. She had a job during the war... Servicing just about every civilian vehicle around - although I understand it did take two of them to undo some of the wheel nuts :)
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Yes. I am that Linux nut.
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Postby Yak_Forger » Wed May 30, 2018 4:40 pm

One more legend leaves the scene...
I think the manager thought the company was too big to fail (hey, it's a big name after all) and thus decided to try his hand at anything that looked like easy money... It wouldn't be the first company to do so.

And yes, I don't see the prices getting any cheaper ; quite the contrary, everything Gibson will be horribly price-gouged because "look, it's from that old super famous company, it isn't made anymore, blah blah blah"
Yak_Forger
New here

Postby BigRedX » Thu May 31, 2018 9:57 am

The Gibson name isn't going away anytime soon.

The lat I hear was that one of the big Japanese instrument manufacturers were looking to obtain the name and IP. Yamaha have certainly been mentioned elsewhere. A company like that taking up the Gibson mantle may well start producing instruments that are superior to the present sorry offerings.
BigRedX
Frequent Poster
RockinRollin' VampireMan

Previous