You are here

Bandcamp etiquette

Advice on everything from getting your music heard to setting up a label and royalties.

Bandcamp etiquette

Postby blinddrew » Sat May 05, 2018 6:22 pm

Every time I get a sale on bandcamp I get a nice email telling me that bob@somewhere has bought something, and I'm never sure if I should send them a nice thank you email.
Is it a simple courtesy, or is it a bit desperate-stalkerish?

What's the standard operating procedure round here?

Cheers
Drew
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Re: Bandcamp etiquette

Postby Logarhythm » Sat May 05, 2018 6:56 pm

Don't know about Bandcamp, but I still find very occasionally that I get a short thank you message from eBay sellers and some smaller online shops, and always think it's a nice touch. If you've got time to do it then I'd go for it :tup:
Logarhythm
Frequent Poster
Location: On an intergalactic voyage to collect fresh electrons

Postby blinddrew » Sat May 05, 2018 7:35 pm

That was my thinking, but I did just wonder if it was a bit creepy.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster

Postby BJG145 » Sat May 05, 2018 8:55 pm

...not sure; I think some kind of compliments slip with a physical mailshot is OK. But if I'd just purchased an electronic album I'm not sure I'd want a personal email from the artist. There's also something to be said for keeping a bit of distance or 'stage magic'.

Dunno, just playing devil's advocate. Go with your instincts.
BJG145
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Agharta » Sat May 05, 2018 9:15 pm

Sending a message is hardly inherently creepy, desperate or stalkerish! :?
But the tone of the message needs to be appropriate so if you get that wrong you might offend someone.
Agharta
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Martin Walker » Sun May 13, 2018 1:15 pm

I always send a thank you/your order has just been posted email after any CD sale, and also ask the customer how they heard of me and found my web site.

Around 50% never reply, but the 50% that do invariably provide a fascinating anecdote about how they discovered my music, so I carry on doing the same 8-)

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Still Vibrations » Sun May 13, 2018 1:51 pm

I don't have anything on Bandcamp but I don't think I would send a thank you email, I think there is too much digital connection. My website has a notice saying that I don't use cookies, track visitors, or make a note of IP addresses. This is not to comply with EU law but I want musicians who visit my website know that their visit is entirely anonymous. It's up to them if they want to contact me.
Still Vibrations
Regular
"It’s like the whole thing about punk is that you do brilliantly ambitious things very stupidly."  - Maria Damon (I think!)

Postby blinddrew » Sun May 13, 2018 2:12 pm

Martin Walker wrote:I always send a thank you/your order has just been posted email after any CD sale, and also ask the customer how they heard of me and found my web site.
Hadn't thought of that, might have a think about it though.

Still Vibrations wrote:I don't have anything on Bandcamp but I don't think I would send a thank you email, I think there is too much digital connection. My website has a notice saying that I don't use cookies, track visitors, or make a note of IP addresses. This is not to comply with EU law but I want musicians who visit my website know that their visit is entirely anonymous. It's up to them if they want to contact me.
I can see that appealing to people as well. So much of our info is bought and sold I'll bet there are a lot of people who would be reassured to know that.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster