You are here

ILok Rip-Off Scammer

Advice on everything from getting your music heard to setting up a label and royalties.

ILok Rip-Off Scammer

Postby 4gotten5tudio » Sun May 06, 2018 9:52 pm

Dear musician Friends, I’m Michael from Switzerland & Newbie here.
It’s my very first Post here and I’m really sorry for such “Rant-Beginning”.
But my patience to be fooled this way as an legal Customer is over.
I have noticed also that there is many more “Ilok-Victims” who bite the dust.
This Company abuses its Position mostly in case when you are depend on them.
The level of Consumer Protection in USA seems to be unfortunately very low.
I can’t imagine that such “Corporate Fraud” will survive many days in Switzerland.
Please note, this is not “Rant” against Copy Protection or its way to do it.
Software Products need lot of work and it’s self-evident to protect this huge effort.
I hope that SOS is not under Ilok’s thumb and will not delete my Post.
All mentioned issues are true facts and it’s not just a bashing at all.

I use several products protected by ILok.
Two Dongles are in use,”iLok 2nd Gen” and “iLok 3rd Gen”.
The “iLok 3rd Gen” contain all my Sonnox/Oxford licenses.
”iLok 2nd Gen” have only two licenses, Motu MachFive and IRCAM Reverb.
On other mobile Laptop I use sometimes MachFive and IRCAM Reverb.
That's why I keep the two licenses on two separated Dongle.
My Dongles are in mint condition, I handle it always very carefully.

Few days ago the ”iLok 2nd Gen” suddenly stopped working.
Only the blue light remain blinking, but no other function.
I was installing the Ilok Manager on several Machines (Mac & Windows) to try everything out.
The Result remain the same, Ilok-3 works perfectly, Ilok-2 is definitely dead.
This Problem seems to be well-knowing and is so-called:

“ILOK 2 - The Blinking Blue Light of Death”

In the “number of incidents” it looks for me like some faulty design.
I was “try” to contact the Support to resolve the Problem.
But for me now this “Problem” smells like some $$$additional income$$$.
Maybe even intentionally created by ILok itself, “purely coincidental” of course?
Some “seldom & random” failures who will generate welcome “pocket money”?
Sorry to tell that, but after that what I have seen today on multiple forums,
this Company seems to be at the same LEVEL like the well-knowing Nigerian dating scammer!

Their fault-prone (if not intention) Copy-Protection cause often troubles & work interruption.
OK, nothing is perfect, this can happen with any kind of products, maybe it’s just a bad luck?
But the worst case scenario for any Software User turns to be just a simple Rip-Off Trip.
It’s a perfidious and perfect strategy to abuse your “emergency situation”.
They know that you’ll do everything to recover your Licenses for your valuable Software.
Any Vendor will give you in their self-interest quick & simple solution to handle such cases.
The first “Solution” Ilok offers you are to fill up your credit card informations for the payment!
Yes, you read right, before you’ll get any kind of Support, you need to offer your Credit Card!
In Case you don’t own any Credit Card, the only one Option for you is to BITE THE BULLET!

It’s not “Rocket Science” to offer automatically temporary licenses on associated Account,
in case you report missing or damaged Ilok-Dongle, this should be self-evident at all!
After Sign In to your Account and corresponding Report temporary replacement licences should be generated automatically.
NOT with Ilok, this mentioned simple Procedure is so-called “Zero Downtime” (ZDT) and ask you for $130 USD!
That's the height of impudence and Rip-Off at all, it’s simply outrageous!

ONCE AGAIN TO MAKE IT CLEAR:

If you will recover your licenses immediately, you have to pay at least $179.95!
ZDM Subscription $30, License Recovery Fee $49.95, Expediency Fee $100.
This Option don’t contain any “Replacement Dongle” and applicable shipping costs.
After you pay $179.95 you’ll get temporary licenses valid for two Weeks.
Note, requirement for that also are to own second Ilok-Dongle of course.
Many Musicians and Developers use their Copy-Protection Solution worldwide.
But their Trust in the Company are perfidious abused for additionally earnings.

In my case I’ll consequent abandon Ilok protected Products from now.
Any Software Produkt are replaceable, it's just a matter of self-will.
I don’t spend thousand of $$$ for Software to be depend on some Plastic-Dongle or Scammer Companies.
If you (as Ilok User) do not feel addressed by this Topic,
just open your eyes and think forward-looking “What if”?
4gotten5tudio
Live like there's no tomorrow...

Re: ILok Rip-Off Scammer

Postby Howdy Doody Time » Mon May 07, 2018 2:34 pm

I sympathise completely. Never had trouble with iLok because I've never used it. Endless trouble with other dongles, most notably Nuendo, and Reason. Got to the stage where I bought an Otari system just to be free of the tyranny of using DAW's at all. Personal Computer Systems in my humble opinion should have no place in a recording studio. They just weren't designed for it, consequently everything is a bolt on job. Whenever there are two parties in a dispute (the OS and the dongle for example) both can wash their hands of responsibility. OSX morphs into something that doesn't recognise your gear with almost every update. I don't suppose Windows in any better. I would happily go back to two inch tape, an analogue mixing desk and a rack of outboard. If I ever live anywhere permanent again I will do just that.
Howdy Doody Time
Regular
The only excuse we have for making music in the first place is to make it differently..vis-a-vis our own difference (Glenn Gould)

Postby OneWorld » Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:47 pm

I have to say my experiences with iLok are a bit patchy but I also use eLicenser and never had a problem. And nowadays the license itself is kept online on the eLicenser server, so if I buy a spare dongle, eLicenser Steinberg ones can be bought for about £25.00, and want to sell some Steinberg software (amongst other software that uses eLicenser) I transfer the license to the spare dongle and sell it on. I think you can get spare iLok dongles for about £40.00, ok not an small amount of money, but not a king's ransom either

OK, that's no comfort to yourself, but despite my original dislike of the dependence on dongles, I have sort of got used to them.

I do agree though, some companies can be incredibly ruthless when it comes to mugging their customers.
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby desmond » Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:16 pm

The main problem is Pace (the company) really don't want to deal with end users - they want to sell copy protection systems to developers, so it's the software developers that are the real customers to Pace.

However, developers can only do so much in terms of iLoks becoming defective, before having to refer to Pace, so you can end up in that classic position where you can be palmed off between two companies who each want to blame each other.

When Iloks work fine, it's an OK system (leaving aside what you may personally feel about dongles in general) that does offer real value and protection to software developers, and some end user convenience. However, when thing go bad, it's pretty bad, often leaving the user struggling to use software they've paid for, and having to prove ownership, or pay extra and so on.

I really don't like Pace as a company, based on what their responses and attitude were like in recent iLokalypse-type situations.

I generally use HD authorisations for my iLok software these days, as dongles are a pain for laptop systems, so at least I'm not reliant on the dongle, and it's mostly been fine, apart from the odd server downtime at inconvenient times...
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby The Red Bladder » Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:35 pm

desmond wrote:The main problem is Pace (the company) really don't want to deal with end users - they want to sell copy protection systems to developers, so it's the software developers that are the real customers to Pace.
That is the real issue and one that must not be forgotten - you are not the customer. You are the product being sold!

Or perhaps I should have said, you are the pig being lead to slaughter. Every corner and wrinkle of selling software today is being exploited - or to use that ghastly Newspeak word 'Monetised'. It starts with 'Software as a Service', moves through 'The Cloud' and guts and skins its victims with those infamous dongles.

But then it is your own fault. Nobody is forced to use software that requires a dongle, the cloud or SaS. In audio and video, I have discovered that the pay-once-and-use-forever software alternatives are simply better than every dongled piece of nonsense!
The Red Bladder
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby SVR » Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:51 pm

Huh... i guess i have been lucky. Been using ilok since it came out, I've never had one go out; never had licensing issues. My v2 has been doing its job without issue going on what...5 Years since it came out?

Be glad you didn't have to use the old parallel port dongles. I think i had 5 or 6 of them hanging precariously off the back of my PC.
SVR

Postby ConcertinaChap » Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:58 pm

desmond wrote:THowever, developers can only do so much in terms of iLoks becoming defective, before having to refer to Pace, so you can end up in that classic position where you can be palmed off between two companies who each want to blame each other.

That's why, with considerable reluctance, I went the elicenser route for Dorico. At least if something goes wrong you're only dealing with the one company.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
Disclaimer: I don't claim to know anything at all.

Postby blinddrew » Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:40 pm

Having had no previous problems I've just fired up a project in Reaper and it's not loading any of my ilok plugins.
Ho hum.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Martin Walker » Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:12 pm

blinddrew wrote:Having had no previous problems I've just fired up a project in Reaper and it's not loading any of my ilok plugins.
Ho hum.

The usual advice in that scenario is to update the iLok drivers to the very latest version, which often resolves incompatibilities.

Fingers crossed that it's an easy fix for you!

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby blinddrew » Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:16 pm

Sorry, meant to update this. Actually completely unrelated to ilok, and I apologise to the good people who work there! :)
For some reason Reaper had completely lost all the plug-ins locations that I've added over the last couple of years*. I've got it to re-find almost all of them but I'm struggling with Waves' Trueverb and Sonarworks' Reference 3.
Have a guess which two plugins I use on EVERY SINGLE PROJECT!
It's a bit weird - for Trueverb, I know where I have the dll file stored, and the shell file, but Reaper seems to be unable to find the shell file when I navigate to it - like it's looking for a different file type.
For sonarworks, I just can't find the bloomin' dll file to point Reaper at.

* yes I know I should put them all in a nice logical folder, it was on my to do list...
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Mr Showbiz » Sun Aug 05, 2018 2:07 am

I've had considerable problems with Pace/iLok over the years (including their appalling service). A few years back I decided to ween myself off any software that uses it (even Slate) as newer alternative products emerged.

I'm now iLok clean and have been clean for over a year.

Trouble is, for the developers, it works. From their perspective, it's better to loose thousands of sales than have no company at all due to piracy.
Mr Showbiz
Poster