You are here

Best Auctioneer speaker system

Advice on everything from getting your music heard to setting up a label and royalties.

Best Auctioneer speaker system

Postby Auctioneer45 » Sat May 19, 2018 3:40 pm

I am an auctioneer who sells to both inside and outside venues. I want to upgrade my sound system. I want it to be somewhat portable. Most venues with systems just are never good enough. I conduct large inside and outside sales. I need to be be clear yet loud enough for my audience. Any help or ideas would be awesome. I don't mind spending money but want a great product not just an overhyped brand.

Location. I generally put two large speakers in the front. Could you recommend a better system for inside/ outside sales?

I am looking at possibly getting a long range hailer style system. Would you recommend the best one in the industry? It would be cost effective to use just a hailer system for everything. How many speakers and where?

Who makes the best handsfree mic out there? Would prefer a wireless handsfree system.

Would you use a traditional style speaker for indoor and smaller audiences?

I was also considering a smaller system which would be portable. Something like a hailer style speaker and mic incase the venue doesn't have electric or as a backup because a failed system can lead to a sore voice.
Thank you in advance for your help!
Auctioneer45

Re: Best Auctioneer speaker system

Postby ef37a » Sat May 19, 2018 4:11 pm

Why two speakers?

My 2pen'oth..Best line source speaker you can afford, a passive model and the best ones are stormproof!

Rig that immediately behind you, as high as you can get it (so invest in a top quality speaker stand)
For an amplifier I would look at "PA" suppliers rather than the gear musicians use? CTH if they are still going. Many of these amps have battery backup facilities. "We" used to have a 40W CTH that could be hooked to a car battery and ran for hours when we had no mains supply. 40 watts might seem small beer these days but believe me, into an efficient 8ft (2x4) line source you COULD make yourself heard!
The good thing about your application is your audience WANTS to hear what you say and I presume there is no competition from a bar, drunks or a drummer?

Mics, headsets and such I shall leave to my youngers and betters!

http://cpc.farnell.com/bosch/la1-uw36l/ ... dp/LS02819

A start ^? Not weather proof but good spec for the money. You may notice it is a "100 volt line" speaker? There is much to commend the 100V line system. Say you had your main rig in a large hall but some VIPs wanted a feed into a private room? Doddle, just run as much 2 core mains type cable out as you need to a small 100V line speaker cab. (if you can saw wood and solder you can make your own!)
Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby resistorman » Sat May 19, 2018 6:56 pm

I’ve used Bose L1 speakers for auctions... wide coverage, long throw, won’t murder the people up front. *Especially* good in tents! And large echoing rooms. A good Shure wireless system with their “earpiece” mic is reasonably priced and tough.
resistorman
Frequent Poster
future26.com

Postby ef37a » Sun May 20, 2018 12:01 pm

resistorman wrote:I’ve used Bose L1 speakers for auctions... wide coverage, long throw, won’t murder the people up front. *Especially* good in tents! And large echoing rooms. A good Shure wireless system with their “earpiece” mic is reasonably priced and tough.
It certainly gets some good reviews Resistorman but surely an overkill for just speech repro?

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby resistorman » Sun May 20, 2018 4:50 pm

ef37a wrote: It certainly gets some good reviews Resistorman but surely an overkill for just speech repro?

Dave.
Well Dave, auctioneering is not just speaking, it’s a very complex, rhythmic art form that needs extreme clarity and nuance to evoke an emotional response that will cause people to spend their money :lol: And it’s usually done in very sub-par acoustic venues, hence my comment about tents... the inside of a tent setup in a parking lot is one of the nastiest acoustic environments you’ll ever encounter. The Bose handles it well, and will also spill outside if the crowd is in overflow. I’ve done auctions for years for a local arts organization, among others, and the auctioneers are always very happy with me :D If you make a living doing this, than it’s money well spent.
resistorman
Frequent Poster
future26.com

Postby ef37a » Sun May 20, 2018 5:21 pm

resistorman wrote:
ef37a wrote: It certainly gets some good reviews Resistorman but surely an overkill for just speech repro?

Dave.
Well Dave, auctioneering is not just speaking, it’s a very complex, rhythmic art form that needs extreme clarity and nuance to evoke an emotional response that will cause people to spend their money :lol: And it’s usually done in very sub-par acoustic venues, hence my comment about tents... the inside of a tent setup in a parking lot is one of the nastiest acoustic environments you’ll ever encounter. The Bose handles it well, and will also spill outside if the crowd is in overflow. I’ve done auctions for years for a local arts organization, among others, and the auctioneers are always very happy with me :D If you make a living doing this, than it’s money well spent.

Well ok but I am more Bargain Hunt than Storage Hunters so I do not see what the LF box is for? Never seen a woofer in a church reinforcement system. Yes, our local Crem' has a fairly full range system but then people bring CDs (most often MY bloody WAY!)

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby resistorman » Sun May 20, 2018 7:53 pm

Oh, you don’t need the subwoofer for this! It’s an optional piece. It would cause more harm than good for auctioneer-only usage. However, if music is being played, it might be needed. You’d then roll the mic low end off steeply.
resistorman
Frequent Poster
future26.com

Postby ef37a » Mon May 21, 2018 6:59 am

resistorman wrote:Oh, you don’t need the subwoofer for this! It’s an optional piece. It would cause more harm than good for auctioneer-only usage. However, if music is being played, it might be needed. You’d then roll the mic low end off steeply.

Ah, see I thought the bass bin was needed as the amplifier? I like the idea of a passive speaker and an amplifier close handy.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby resistorman » Wed May 23, 2018 4:53 am

Yeah, the amps are in the column base... don’t know how they fit ‘em in there! The subs use a 4 channel Speakon cable, it seems to provide some kind of feedback to the dsp. Bose has come a long way. There are other contenders these days, I’m just recommending what I personally have used with good success.
resistorman
Frequent Poster
future26.com