You are here

Record label wants publishing "forever" on my dance music track release

Advice on everything from getting your music heard to setting up a label and royalties.

Record label wants publishing "forever" on my dance music track release

Postby BlueGuy » Thu May 31, 2018 9:34 pm

Hi all!

I am rather lost when it comes to publishing, I would really appreciate some help!

I am signing a single electronic dance music track to a record label. The record contract is a 10 year exclusive license with 50% royalty split. I have signed such deals before, so far, so good.

But they also want part of the publishing "for the duration of applicable statutory protection period".

1) Does the above mean for the duration of copyright (which would be authors death + 70 years)?

2) Is this at all reasonable? (They are licensing the sound recording for "just" 10 years, which means they would be collecting performance royalties for my song for looong after their master license has expired...?!)

3) Is it reasonable for me to ask for the publishing term to be changed to 10 years instead?

Thanks for any thoughts!
BlueGuy
Poster

Re: Record label wants publishing "forever" on my dance music track release

Postby The Red Bladder » Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:03 am

1. Yes. 2. Yes. 3. Yes.

But ask nicely!
The Red Bladder
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby BlueGuy » Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:09 pm

The Red Bladder wrote:1. Yes. 2. Yes. 3. Yes.

But ask nicely!

Thank you so much for your quick and effective reply! I always try to be nice. :)
BlueGuy
Poster

Postby Argiletonne » Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:56 pm

Give the song away and move on with your life. That only means the same thing in fancy terms according to how I understand the words. Maybe I'm wrong though. For the duration meaning the duration of the contract and protection under value as an artist in correlation to the contract. I've never signed a deal for anything but I enjoy writing and reading technically speaking.
Argiletonne
Poster