You are here

Legal Music Contract checking?

Advice on everything from getting your music heard to setting up a label and royalties.

Legal Music Contract checking?

Postby james090 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:41 am

I have been given a Publishing Contract that I need looking over, legally from a music legal perspective. Does anyone have any advice or recommend anyone that could do this?

I am pretty sure that the Musicians Union used to do this, and free for the first 60 mins?

I have emailed them, but still nothing back as yet.

I just wanted any advice really on just getting this checked over..

Thanks!
james090
Regular
Posts: 102
Joined: Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:15 am

Re: Legal Music Contract checking?

Postby BigRedX » Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:39 am

The free MU check is only available if you are a member. I've used it twice, both times it took several weeks to get a reply and the answer was always fairly basic, with the added recommendation to get proper legal representation from someone specialising to music contracts for a full check/analysis.
User avatar
BigRedX
Frequent Poster
Posts: 560
Joined: Fri Sep 03, 2004 12:00 am
RockinRollin' VampireMan

Re: Legal Music Contract checking?

Postby james090 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:27 pm

BigRedX wrote:The free MU check is only available if you are a member. I've used it twice, both times it took several weeks to get a reply and the answer was always fairly basic, with the added recommendation to get proper legal representation from someone specialising to music contracts for a full check/analysis.

Thank you.

Do you or anyone have any recommendations in mind?
james090
Regular
Posts: 102
Joined: Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:15 am

Re: Legal Music Contract checking?

Postby Forum Admin » Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:17 pm

Richard Salmon, the author of these old SOS articles on contracts, might be worth contacting if you can track him down?

https://www.soundonsound.com/music-business/recording-contracts-explained

https://www.soundonsound.com/music-business/guide-contracts-producers
User avatar
Forum Admin
Moderator
Posts: 2955
Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2003 11:00 pm
Location: A studio deep in the fenlands of Cambridgeshire, UK
SEARCH 10,267 quality articles: www.soundonsound.com/search
*NEW* SOS Tutorials: www.soundonsound.com/tutorials

Re: Legal Music Contract checking?

Postby Gone To Lunch » Sun Jun 10, 2018 2:52 pm

I have used the MU service about half a dozen times, and each time the response was excellent - a detailed critique within a few days.

Yes it is expensive in that one has to be a fully paid-up member to use the service, but on the other hand a years' membership with all its attendant advantages would probably only buy you one or two hours from a top (ie suitably experienced) music biz solicitor.

BASCA also offer contract advice, not sure of the details, but their membership is less than half that of the MU. But of course only focussed on writing/publishing etc, not the full deal like with the MU.
Gone To Lunch
Frequent Poster
Posts: 710
Joined: Fri Jun 11, 2004 12:00 am
Location: London
http://www.gonetolunchmusic.com/

Re: Legal Music Contract checking?

Postby james090 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:31 am

Sorry for the lengthy delay on this, as life has gotten in the way since I posted!

Just a quick 'bump' to see whether there were any other suggestions?

I have tried to find/contact Richard Salmon as mentioned above but no luck!

It looks like my only avenue is MU for a years subscription? or BASCA standard or professional membership?

I probably should add, that I tried to email and contact MU about their subscriptions, and have still heard nothing even after chasing! It looks like they could be some time with a contract, if their email replies/contact is anything to go by! lol

Thanks again for any input previously, and anything to add! :)
james090
Regular
Posts: 102
Joined: Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:15 am

Re: Legal Music Contract checking?

Postby Deaks_Music_Law » Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:44 pm

Hi James,

I run an independent music law and contract advice consultancy service and can offer an initial free consultation to look over, assess the contract, give a general overview and give an estimate of a fixed fee, if you wanted more detailed advice/amendments.

Please feel free to email me on deaks.law@gmail.com if you would be interested, I'd be happy to help! My website is www.deaksmusiclaw.com also

Thanks!
User avatar
Deaks_Music_Law
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:14 pm
Location: UK
Music Law & Contract Advice Consultant

Deaks Music Law
www.deaksmusiclaw.com

Re: Legal Music Contract checking?

Postby Still Vibrations » Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:03 am

james090 wrote:Sorry for the lengthy delay on this, as life has gotten in the way since I posted!

I probably should add, that I tried to email and contact MU about their subscriptions, and have still heard nothing even after chasing! It looks like they could be some time with a contract, if their email replies/contact is anything to go by! lol

I left the MU because it is too expensive and seems to be run for West End musicians and established orchestras. They also campaign on changing the law for assisted suicide, LGBT rights, and are linked to the Anti-fascist League. These are irrelevant to musicians like myself who is finding the music business getting more and more difficult. If anyone is interested in these campaigns there are dedicated organisations who do this campaigning, and do it much better.

A musician friend of mine said that the MU management were not good enough to enter real world politics so used their MU position to play at politiking - harsh but I believe basically true. I do get on well with some of those high up in the union so it's not personal.
Still Vibrations
Regular
Posts: 267
Joined: Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:02 am
"It’s like the whole thing about punk is that you do brilliantly ambitious things very stupidly."  - Maria Damon (I think!)

Re: Legal Music Contract checking?

Postby james090 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:07 am

Still Vibrations wrote:
james090 wrote:Sorry for the lengthy delay on this, as life has gotten in the way since I posted!

I probably should add, that I tried to email and contact MU about their subscriptions, and have still heard nothing even after chasing! It looks like they could be some time with a contract, if their email replies/contact is anything to go by! lol

I left the MU because it is too expensive and seems to be run for West End musicians and established orchestras. They also campaign on changing the law for assisted suicide, LGBT rights, and are linked to the Anti-fascist League. These are irrelevant to musicians like myself who is finding the music business getting more and more difficult. If anyone is interested in these campaigns there are dedicated organisations who do this campaigning, and do it much better.
A musician friend of mine said that the MU management were not good enough to enter real world politics so used their MU position to play at politiking - harsh but I believe basically true. I do get on well with some of those high in the union.

I was with them for quite some time, as it was one of the only ways to get contracts etc looked at, and as an organisation for ''the musician'' to help you out.

I never found them great, with lengthy delays in getting contracts looked at, and then for it to come back with a line through it saying, ''i'd advise against this'' in not so many words.
james090
Regular
Posts: 102
Joined: Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:15 am


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users