You are here

PRS copyright reforms

Advice on everything from getting your music heard to setting up a label and royalties.

Re: PRS copyright reforms

Postby blinddrew » Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:22 pm

I recognise your arguments but I disagree with most of them! :)
Fundamentally the internet has grown to be what it is now, good and bad, on the principle that a platform is not liable for the action of its users. This legislation shifts that responsibility and I think that's a bad thing.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby CS70 » Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:19 am

blinddrew wrote:I recognise your arguments but I disagree with most of them! :)
Fundamentally the internet has grown to be what it is now, good and bad, on the principle that a platform is not liable for the action of its users. This legislation shifts that responsibility and I think that's a bad thing.

Hehe that's the good thing about different people :)

It was the same in the Far West in the US, initially, anyone can buy a rifle and the seller isn't responsible of the user actions..

hold on, it's still like that :D
CS70
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video  and the FB page

Postby Guest » Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:46 am

Over past ten years I’ve uploaded a good few vids on my GlobalWarning Youtube channel where, I’ve edited clips from major movies ‘Singin’ In the Rain’ or from say the news coverage of 9/11etc to suit my own music, I put in a lot of hours and wasn’t expecting and am not getting any payment, however I’ve noticed that fairly recently nearly all the stuff I’ve used, Paramount, Warner Brothers etc, Beeb being the exception, are now listed (when I sign in,) as the copyright holders, so there must be some kind of automated system cos I didn’t tell ‘em, other than credit the proper rights holder at end of vid, so it seems there must already be some kind of 'aesthetic' acceptance already operating behind the scenes.

I did it cos I’m a creative little sod and felt that I could learn and achieve something worthwhile as I also think the vid's have entertainment value as minor works of er, art, they also bring those old movies to the attention of those that would normally shun them…

I’m kinda pleased how this worked out cos that is wot I envisaged, I knew I wouldn’t ever get paid, but felt they shouldn’t mind cos I’ve given them something new, and for free and now they get paid not me.

It’s us minnows that need protecting, not the big boys, er sharks.

Us minnows need our own platform, not a multi nationals, an altruistic platform provided by gov’s/tax/charity etc wotever.

However, if one wants to get paid for incorporating others work into their own then one would need to contact copyright holders and seek a licensing contract or similar… it’s the struggling unsigned/unknown artists that need protection not the major players, as, see above, they can look after themselves.

Postby Guest » Sat Jun 30, 2018 2:12 pm

Hmmm, got me finking for all of two sec’s.

Let’s imagine my music/art becomes hugely desirable to many many millions of… not too diff I t’ink you’ll all agree.

So ‘oo, really owns the copyright?

As in, suppose my new-found popularity pulls in punters for Warner et al, do I then deserve some dosh? Can I threaten to pull da plug if’n they don’t cough-up?

YouTube can prob stop me pulling the plug I suppose, Oh Well!

Tough life innit.

Postby blinddrew » Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:28 pm

We build on what's gone before, that's how 'genres' start.
Unfortunately the copyright rules have been driven by quite a small set of stakeholders and only run in one direction.

ContentID on youtube is probably the best content identifying algorithm out there, this is one of the reasons why I say the new legislation will prevent any new challengers entering the market.

Hugely frustrating because there is some good stuff elsewhere in the bill.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster

Postby CS70 » Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:29 pm

LdashD wrote:So ‘oo, really owns the copyright?

If you have borrowed other people's work to create a work and the work starts producing some serious amount of money, you'll quickly find out that it becomes a very tough question indeed - and probably expensive as well.

For sampling, if money is involved it seems the consensus nowadays is to clear permission and fees or percentage cuts beforehand. If no money is involved, generally nobody cares.

And yes, YT has implemented audio fingerprint quite a few years back. It's far from perfect but better than nothing.
CS70
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video  and the FB page

Postby blinddrew » Sat Jun 30, 2018 7:55 pm

CS70 wrote:And yes, YT has implemented audio fingerprint quite a few years back. It's far from perfect but better than nothing.
Bit more advanced than that now, it's evolved a lot over the last few years. Which is why it pays out so much.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster

Previous