You are here

BASCA worth joining?

Advice on everything from getting your music heard to setting up a label and royalties.

BASCA worth joining?

Postby james090 » Sun Sep 02, 2018 5:38 pm

I posted about getting a publishing contract that I need checking over legally, and while helpful answers on here, I found that there isn't much out there regarding the legal checking side apart from MU (which I have joined before and found they weren't great) and BASCA.

I still need the contract checking over legally before I sign, and think that BASCA is looking favourite, as I only need a music lawyer to glance over this with any pointers.

As I can't find a music lawyer, per-se, I just wanted to ask if BASCA is worth joining for this, basically and what other benefits does it offer before joining the 1 year membership?

Is it any good? are there other members here?

Any help much appreciated
james090
Regular

Re: BASCA worth joining?

Postby ReadySaltedChris » Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:47 pm

I don't think anyone at BASCA is gonna check over your contract tbh.

I am not sure why you can't find a music lawyer. I just googled 'music lawyer uk' and found quite a few. Needn't be expensive. I saw one a few years back, got some great advice and he didn't even charge me.
ReadySaltedChris
Regular

Postby Gone To Lunch » Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:57 pm

I have personally found them useful, although I have not had a contract checked as such - I went to the MU for that.

For me the main advantage was the workshops and surgeries where there was much from the coalface discussion.

They now offer contract forms, which will at least give some idea of what it should be like.

https://basca.org.uk/display-benefits/contracts-agreements/
Gone To Lunch
Frequent Poster
http://www.gonetolunchmusic.com/

Postby Gone To Lunch » Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:03 am

If they still do the business affairs workshops, you might be able to take your contract along and have it looked at by some experienced eyes ?
Gone To Lunch
Frequent Poster
http://www.gonetolunchmusic.com/

Postby james090 » Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:08 am

ReadySaltedChris wrote:I don't think anyone at BASCA is gonna check over your contract tbh.

I am not sure why you can't find a music lawyer. I just googled 'music lawyer uk' and found quite a few. Needn't be expensive. I saw one a few years back, got some great advice and he didn't even charge me.

Hi Chris, Thanks for your input... Can you PM or let me know who your lawyer was?
That would be most helpful...

Thanks
james090
Regular

Postby ReadySaltedChris » Mon Sep 03, 2018 1:36 pm

james090 wrote:
ReadySaltedChris wrote:I don't think anyone at BASCA is gonna check over your contract tbh.

Hi Chris, Thanks for your input... Can you PM or let me know who your lawyer was?
That would be most helpful...

Thanks

OK.
ReadySaltedChris
Regular