You are here

What to charge for a bespoke music

Advice on everything from getting your music heard to setting up a label and royalties.

What to charge for a bespoke music

Postby Marbury » Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:56 pm

I have been asked by someone who is working on a spoken word piece for Cardiff university to supply a piece of music, or underscore for the 3 min piece. I will create the track pretty quickly, an afternoon's work perhaps but I do not know what to charge as I have only ever been paid for library music tracks. Also, if it is for a University project, should I register it with PRS ?

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks.
Marbury
Frequent Poster

Re: What to charge for a bespoke music

Postby Marbury » Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:40 pm

Good grief it’s quite round here. (Sound of tumblweed gently rolling along)
Marbury
Frequent Poster

Postby blinddrew » Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:12 pm

I'm just struggling with the concept of someone paying for music... ;)
I guess the short answer is half your day rate, which could be as simple as your monthly music income divided by 20.
Who will own the copyright? If it's not the client, what kind of licence are they buying? Is there the potential for further commissions? Is there a potential route to a new audience / market?
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Sam Spoons » Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:33 pm

I'm not a composer but the bottom line, as Drew says, is half a day. I'd be inclined to licence it for the one use only though at that (it is your copyright so your choice to let them use it beyond the original agreement). You might as for points if your price is cheap and there is a commercial element to the production. But, if it's an amateur/educational thing you could ask them what they are prepared to pay (and the answer could surprise you in either direction).
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Marbury » Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:24 pm

Ok, thanks for the suggestions. I will go for the half a day but I have no idea how much half a day would be having never really done anything to order.
Marbury
Frequent Poster

Postby Marbury » Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:15 pm

I have been informed by the person (my ex college lecturer) that e has purchased a track from my Bandcamp page (PRS registered) for £10 just to see how it sits with the narration. he said he will discus rights for use if they decide to go with it so this changes things somewhat.
Marbury
Frequent Poster

Postby blinddrew » Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:52 pm

Hmmm. Is it just for use during a performance / talk at a PRS registered venue? Or is it to be added to something for future use?
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Marbury » Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:59 pm

I will have to get back to you with that as we haven’t got to that stage yet. As it stands the music seems to work with the project so should hear back soon.

Thanks again for all the helpful suggestions here. Much appreciated.
Marbury
Frequent Poster

Postby Marbury » Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:37 pm

Ok, He has gone with a PRS registered track. I now need to discuss a fee with him . Obviously it is not bespoke now so still not sure what to ask. I assume if it is broadcast it will earn royalties. I have all music to cover youtube broadcast registred with Adrev.
Marbury
Frequent Poster