You are here

Producer here - general help required.

Advice on everything from getting your music heard to setting up a label and royalties.

Producer here - general help required.

Postby mickeyderon » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:43 am

I'm a producer however I lack a studio to add final touches to tracks. Mainly in the house area but sometimes I love all genres so mainly something danceable :-)

To explain further, I can create a track quite well but can't go into the studio to make the final adjustments within a studio as I can't afford to buy a studio or to go into one. I can mix within the set up I have but not the final studio 'refining' and final touches stage.

Therefore I'm looking for a producer manager, maybe a production partner and wondered where may be best to start ? And when it comes to royalties/publishing and general splitting of the money whats a feasible split ? I'm new to the business side so I'd like as much info as possible.
mickeyderon
New here

Re: Producer here - general help required.

Postby CS70 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:20 am

Not sure which "final touches" you're thinking of? If you can mix, you can mix. Or do you find there are issues in your mixes which you don't hear until you try to play it someplace else?
CS70
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video  and the FB page

Postby mickeyderon » Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:50 am

I'm pretty new to mixing but apparently I've picked it up really well so far. Even though something sounds right to me, I still need that final confirmation from someone else's ears particularly if they have a studio as I'm working on headphones at the moment.

Some people may say for example I need to work on the low end.
mickeyderon
New here

Postby Martin Walker » Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:53 pm

Hi mickeyderon, and welcome to the SOS forums! 8-)

Just post a link to some of your work (a blind Soundcloud link might be perfect, as only those who follow the link you post here will know the music is there).

Then I'm sure we'll be happy to give you some feedback - the SOS Forums have many thousands of members crossing every available musical genre spanning a huge range of abilities from absolute beginner to seasoned professional.

Low end can indeed be a tricky area, especially if you've only got headphones, but it's easy for those of us with reasonably equipped studios with acoustic treatment to provide a 'too little/overblown verdict'.

Feedback helps us all!

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby CS70 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:23 pm

mickeyderon wrote:I'm pretty new to mixing but apparently I've picked it up really well so far. Even though something sounds right to me, I still need that final confirmation from someone else's ears particularly if they have a studio as I'm working on headphones at the moment.

Some people may say for example I need to work on the low end.

Sure, post your stuff. You can get a quite good idea by playing it on different systems for example, a smartphone and a car stereo being two good examples.

The low end is trickier as it's hard to have access to a disco playback system, but mixing on cans is actually a plus - it's easier than using a subwoofer (and in an untreated room, much less risky of horrid results!). You just need to know how your headphones sound - which means listening to well mixed, commercial music on the same set and internalize how bass sound. You can also directly reference good tracks with tools like Magic AB or Ozone and even free spectrum analyzers can be useful.

If you find that your mixes are less than perfect in certain elements, the next step is to find out how to fix 'em.. and there the people in this forum have a very large bag of tricks to share.
CS70
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby mickeyderon » Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:53 pm

Thanks for all the help so far guys. It's nice to come to a decent forum :-)

I'll post a remix I'm working on a bit later.

I'm gonna ask a question which is going to seem a bit stupid but hey we all have to learn.

If you're making a mash up using an acapella and instrumental - do the all things you would consider when mixing or remixing a track (i.e mixing) have to be considered ?

Or is it just a case of some balancing (and eqing if necessary). I'm basically asking if I need to use a studio to make my mash ups professional and ready for mastering or just use my DAW?
mickeyderon
New here

Postby CS70 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:24 pm

mickeyderon wrote:Thanks for all the help so far guys. It's nice to come to a decent forum :-)

I'll post a remix I'm working on a bit later.

I'm gonna ask a question which is going to seem a bit stupid but hey we all have to learn.

If you're making a mash up using an acapella and instrumental - do the all things you would consider when mixing or remixing a track (i.e mixing) have to be considered ?

Or is it just a case of some balancing (and eqing if necessary). I'm basically asking if I need to use a studio to make my mash ups professional and ready for mastering or just use my DAW?

You don’t need necessarily a studio, but you need to know what you’re doing :)

A mix is essentially balance. That’s the alpha and omega, making things sound “right”. For a song containing a cappella and instrumental parts the flow from one to the other is important, and that comes as much from the arrangement and how you sequence things than from the mixing. Reverbs for example are gonna be important to give a good sense of common space to bits which have been recorded, most probably, at very different places and times.

If it’s your first mix, count it as an exercise. If it is important, bring it to a studio or a good mixing engineer. Otherwise have fun and learn :)
CS70
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby mickeyderon » Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:18 pm

Well I've made mash ups for years but looking to make sure they sound ultra professional.

CS70 I PMed you some links -hopefully you can help. :-)
mickeyderon
New here

Postby James Perrett » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:22 pm

As Martin says, post up a public link to your work and you'll certainly gain a few opinions from people here. If you don't want to make it public then I'd be happy to take a listen and tell you what I think.

If things sound good to you but you just want that last little bit of polish then maybe you just need a mastering engineer.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page