You are here

Any such thing as a streaming strategy ?...

Advice on everything from getting your music heard to setting up a label and royalties.

Any such thing as a streaming strategy ?...

Postby 1tc » Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:55 am

Hello

Just wondering if some minor strategy can be elaborated when you put your indie music on streaming sites through an agregator. I'm not the first one to mull this, and though not much can be found on this subject.
The common sense has it that you should allow the uploading of yout track(s) on as many streaming platforms as possible since they do not share their subscribers for the most part (John Doe is with Spotify, not with napster and vice-versa). But... spotify+applemusic+pandora= 80% of the actual streams per year. If you compute this with the payback from those firms, this figure grows even more.Their financial weight is around 85%. Add Youtube that no one will ever think of ridding, and you're at 88-90%. So...
What about uploading to these 3 or 4 sites only, making it compulsory for any other subscriber (tidal, amazon etc...) to add a view to your YT video if they wish to listen to the song again (provided that they discover it there). That would only be 10-15% more, but the difference of earnings with YT will be negligible, and is it not better to grow your YT counter by 15%?
Besides, by doing so, you may slighly displace the cursor from streaming to downloading (itunes) since those 10-15% may prefer to have your track as a file? (back to the old question: does barring streaming increase downloads)
Is this reasoning completely deluded ? Any other proven strategy to improve what can be improved in the indie world...
Thank you
1tc

Re: Any such thing as a streaming strategy ?...

Postby CS70 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:12 am

Guess the best is to try and see what happens. For a number of reasons (a bit long to write here) I think it's best to have your music available on as many platforms as possible when your fan base is lower than a certain critical mass, but then all of these online interactions are fairly new and changing, so nobody has pre-packaged answer I guess.
CS70
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video  and the FB page

Postby blinddrew » Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:33 am

I'm with CS70 on this, as a non-major artist the biggest challenge is obscurity. Getting onto as many platforms as possible gives you more chance to get found organically, as well as being more likely to get 'featured' on a smaller provider.

I think the idea that not being on streaming sites leads to more downloads is flawed for most artists. Unless you're heavily in demand, not being on the platform of your (potential) customer's choice just means they'll find something else. Unless they're a dedicated fan someone isn't going to go trawling through providers to find where you're hosted - and if they're a dedicated fan then they're probably buying direct from your website. :)

That's my tuppence-worth, but I should point out that my music career is spectacularly non-existent so treat this with the disdain it deserves. ;)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby James Perrett » Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:54 pm

1tc wrote:Hello
But... spotify+applemusic+pandora= 80% of the actual streams per year.

Not sure where you get this from...

I've been doing a bit of work analysing streaming stats for an indie label and a much larger percentage seems to come from other services - many of which I had never heard of before as they're based in Russia or the far east.

Or is it that the subscribers to the services that you mention are more likely to listen to mainstream artists rather than go looking for new and more obscure artists?
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby 1tc » Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:01 pm

Thank you guys for your answers. Didn't expect this many this quick.

@james Perret See the table on this page https://thetrichordist.com/2018/01/15/2 ... l-revenue/

Or is there any underlying deceit in there ?

Anyway, if I decide to let the aggregator upload my music on a few streaming sites only, can I change my mind later on and put it up on others? Or vice-versa, take it down from some platforms ?
1tc

Postby blinddrew » Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:26 pm

I want to like David Lowery's stuff (and I admire his principles) but I do feel that he'd be better off trying to accept the world as it is rather than trying to dial it back 20 years. There is much that could be better about the current music industry but trying to tie things back to CD sale equivalents, download-to-streaming comparisons, and 'fair' rates is really just failing to understand the current market.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby johnny h » Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:07 am

It’s hard to make money from streaming even if you have a strong career and real fans. Anything that comes in for me is just bonus money. Gigs are where the money is, streaming just drives the gigs.

Bandcamp is probably the best place to be “discovered” as an unknown artist.
johnny h
Frequent Poster (Level2)