You are here

Music Shops

Advice on everything from getting your music heard to setting up a label and royalties.

Re: Music Shops

Postby Music Wolf » Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:39 pm

Sam Spoons wrote: I also go to Sounds Great, likewise knowledgeable and helpful staff and great stock.

When I first discovered Sounds Great I couldn't believe how helpful they were compared to what I had been used in Warrington. I've had 2 PRS (one core, one SE), a US standard Strat, a Parker and at least one combo from them.

Sound Affects Premier in Ormskirk are my new, preferred, music shop. I just don't go in too often as I do need to hold some money back for food (is there any nutritional value to be had from the cardboard boxes used to ship guitars?)
Music Wolf
Frequent Poster

Postby Kwackman » Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:52 pm

Music Wolf wrote:
Wonks wrote:Dawsons. A store I have very few positive experiences of.

Spare a thought for those of us who grew up in Warrington (home to the original store) and consider that their service used to be a lot, lot, worse than it is now.

There's a Dawson's branch in Belfast.
I've had nothing but good service from them, although I'm not in that often.
A few years ago when I was making a decision to buy a relatively expensive acoustic guitar, the salesman/manager was more than helpful, including sending me home to think about it for a few days. He did get a sale a few days later!

We also have another local shop, Matchetts, who I've bought most of my guitars from.
Again, excellent service over many years.

Obviously YMMV.
Kwackman
Frequent Poster
Cubase, guitars.

Postby Guest » Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:07 pm

The Bunk wrote:Massive Anderton's fan here; I was in there last week, having not been for a while, and it just reminded me of the actual pleasure of just going in there.
- - - -
I have never met a member of staff in that store who doesn't know their stuff.
- - - -
I just love going there for the whole "shopping" experience; maybe I'm old-fashioned.

I was in there yesterday to get a controller keyboard and entirely agree with all of the above comments. I live in London but on a fast train Guildford is only 37 minutes away, nearer in time than many places in London. I like Guildford and there are places to have coffee and cake and it is also a day out - it is so easy to get cabin fever when you are freelance musician.

Previous