You are here

Help needed with Cue Sheet

Advice on everything from getting your music heard to setting up a label and royalties.

Help needed with Cue Sheet

Postby Richard Benn » Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:22 pm

Hi,

I am in the strange position of having to complete a music cue sheet and I'm a bit unsure about the implications of one of the fields:

A little background - when my daughter was at uni I did some music cues for a short film she made on her course. She has now managed to sell the film to a small channel that broadcasts on the Community Channel. They have asked her to complete a Music Cue sheet which she has forwarded on to me.

One of the fields on the template they sent is headed "Pub Rights Y/N" and I'm not sure what the implications of answering either Y or N for this are. At the bottom my daughter will have to sign that she has the sync rights which is expected, but it also asks for confirmation that she has "obtained publishing rights to include this music in her programme for all media" and that any exceptions on publishing rights have to be agreed with the broadcaster prior to inclusion.

I'm struggling to understand exactly what they are after with the publishing rights and what I will be giving away if I answer "y". What I agreed with my daughter is that she could have the sync rights for free on a non-exclusive basis but you probably won't be surprised to know that nothing was discussed about publishing.

I don't do this professionally so i don't have a publisher and I'm not PRS registered (and this is unlikely to generate any royalties anyway), but I would like to avoid giving away any rights I don't have to without scuppering my daughter's chance to get her film shown. Any insights into what they are after and my options for resisting would be most appreciated.

Many thanks.

Richard
Richard Benn
Poster

Re: Help needed with Cue Sheet

Postby Guest » Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:19 am

You could call PRS and ask them for advice, even though you are not a member. Alternatively there are independent film makers' organisations who would be able to help.

However I am not sure I understand your contribution to the music. If you wrote the music you can do what you like with it. If you recorded or arranged other people's compositions then it can get complicated and expensive.
If it is music you composed then you have the publishing rights, whether or not it is published unless you have signed a proportion to someone else. You can specify that your daughter is free to use it for any cable channel broadcast only but it will have to be renegotiated for other broadcasts.

"obtained publishing rights to include this music in her programme for all media"

I don't know what that means, maybe the context would make it clearer.

Unfortunately many companies and organisations don't understand copyright so make contracts in ignorance.

Postby Richard Benn » Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:12 am

Thanks for the reply. Glad to know it's not just me being dense.

In light of that we've decided the best thing is to ask them what they mean. I'll update this thread if I get a coherent reply.

Richard
Richard Benn
Poster

Postby Richard Benn » Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:37 am

Turns out all they meant was whether the producer had done a deal with the musician that included transfer of the publishing rights. It wasn't something that worried them to any extent irrespective of the answer, so just me over-complicating things as usual. :headbang:
Richard Benn
Poster

Postby blinddrew » Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:46 am

It's very easy to do given how complex the area is. Glad you got sorted. :)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...