You are here

Personal representation vs registering with an agency

Advice on everything from getting your music heard to setting up a label and royalties.

Personal representation vs registering with an agency

Postby SwingKing » Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:54 pm

Has anyone ever employed someone to book their gigs as opposed to using an agent? One of the problems with large agencies is that they represent a large number of artists. I'll be taking someone on in 2019 to work solely on my behalf at a larger commission than the standard rate to see if I have any more success in getting work.

Having taken on a day job this year I don't have the time to do something for which I never had much appetite for - self-promotion. I just wondered if anyone else has tried this route and how successful they were.
SwingKing
Regular

Re: Personal representation vs registering with an agency

Postby BigRedX » Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:32 pm

Is this for covers/function work, or for an "originals" band?
BigRedX
Frequent Poster
RockinRollin' VampireMan

Postby The Red Bladder » Wed Dec 26, 2018 4:12 pm

Venues book several acts at a time. An agent is able to fill their calendar for the coming months in one go.

Some venues keep spare days open for local talent, especially those that feel that this is an important social function that they need to fulfil, but in the main, they do not want to prat about listening to demos and sending out bookings sheets.

The only people who do not want or need an agent are those who only want to do a couple of gigs a month and mega-stars that have their own full-time management and talk to companies like Live Nation and SJG (in the UK) directly.

One person selling just one act will get nowhere on the pub/club circuit. You must have an agent to succeed.
The Red Bladder
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby SwingKing » Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:10 pm

The Red Bladder wrote:Venues book several acts at a time. An agent is able to fill their calendar for the coming months in one go.

Some venues keep spare days open for local talent, especially those that feel that this is an important social function that they need to fulfil, but in the main, they do not want to prat about listening to demos and sending out bookings sheets.

The only people who do not want or need an agent are those who only want to do a couple of gigs a month and mega-stars that have their own full-time management and talk to companies like Live Nation and SJG (in the UK) directly.

One person selling just one act will get nowhere on the pub/club circuit. You must have an agent to succeed.

Thanks. I have an agent and regularly get work from them. Much of what you've posted doesn't appear to relate to my original post, unfortunately.
SwingKing
Regular

Postby SwingKing » Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:13 pm

BigRedX wrote:Is this for covers/function work, or for an "originals" band?

Covers and function work. The person I am hiring currently works as an events organiser for a large company so she has the appropriate expertise and skills as well as plenty of contacts in the industry.
SwingKing
Regular

Postby Watchmaker » Sun Dec 30, 2018 3:04 pm

Depends on how "far" you want to go and how often you want to play. Agencies will need a reason to keep you on the roster, and a personal rep will need a big enough cut to put in the time.

Many years ago when I played, we had a manager who did all of that. He was shite and we played crappy gigs for no money. We packed him up and shipped him off to Borneo, got a decent rep and promptly disbanded.
Watchmaker
Regular
Take my advice, I'm not using it.