You are here

Which ones are the best sound engineering and/or mixing engineering online courses?

Advice on everything from getting your music heard to setting up a label and royalties.

Which ones are the best sound engineering and/or mixing engineering online courses?

Postby dred2009 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:36 pm

Hello, I'm a classical piano college student and, for composition proposes, I got into music production/ music engineering. Being honest, I know just a little and I don't even know the exact name of the profession/courses that deals with music mixing and mastering, so I would love to know the names and differences between these sound engineering areas.

I know I could just write some music and then ask for someone to master them, but I want to know how to do it myself. Sadly, don't know where to start. What are the bests courses to learn how to mix, mix theory, how to master, etc?
dred2009
Poster

Re: Which ones are the best sound engineering and/or mixing engineering online courses?

Postby Kwackman » Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:27 pm

Maybe worth getting in touch with Zukan, one of the regulars here.
His site is
https://www.samplecraze.com/tuition/
Kwackman
Frequent Poster
Cubase, guitars.

Re: Which ones are the best sound engineering and/or mixing engineering online courses?

Postby Wonks » Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:00 pm

You'd be best starting off by choosing a DAW that you are going to work with. Whilst some elements are general processes and common to all platforms, it does help to look at tutorials based around your choice of DAW so you can copy exactly what's shown in the videos.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby Humble Bee » Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:29 pm

Start with buying and reading the book "Mixing secrets for the small studio 2nd edition" by Mike Senior and go from there. :thumbup:

As mentioned it will be necessary to choose a DAW and learning to fly it well.
Humble Bee
Regular

Postby dred2009 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:03 pm

Wonks wrote:You'd be best starting off by choosing a DAW that you are going to work with. Whilst some elements are general processes and common to all platforms, it does help to look at tutorials based around your choice of DAW so you can copy exactly what's shown in the videos.

Thanks. However, I already use 2 DAWs for over 2 years or something. Every time I needed to compose or make a piano arrangement I used a DAW because it let me change the velocity of the notes (something that it's a must in classical music).
My real problem now is that I'm having problems mixing and mastering, don't know how to use plugins properly. I always used DAWs without caring too much about mix or master.
dred2009
Poster

Postby dred2009 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:08 pm

Humble Bee wrote:Start with buying and reading the book "Mixing secrets for the small studio 2nd edition" by Mike Senior and go from there. :thumbup:

As mentioned it will be necessary to choose a DAW and learning to fly it well.

Thanks for the book advice. My real problem is the mixing and mastering thing. I already have some DAWs for more than 2 years now, so I know how a DAW works, just don't know how to properly use it.
dred2009
Poster

Postby dred2009 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:09 pm

Kwackman wrote:Maybe worth getting in touch with Zukan, one of the regulars here.
His site is
https://www.samplecraze.com/tuition/

Thank you very much :D
dred2009
Poster

Postby blinddrew » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:14 pm

I'll second getting a copy of Mike's book, I've found it very useful. There's a companion "recording" book as well which is also more than work the ticket price.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby dred2009 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:25 pm

blinddrew wrote:I'll second getting a copy of Mike's book, I've found it very useful. There's a companion "recording" book as well which is also more than work the ticket price.

Sorry, I did not understand (maybe because I'm not a native speaker). Is the name of the music book "Mike's book"?
dred2009
Poster

Postby James Perrett » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:41 pm

dred2009 wrote:Sorry, I did not understand (maybe because I'm not a native speaker). Is the name of the music book "Mike's book"?

I can't find the Mixing Secrets book in the SOS bookshop at the moment but here's the Recording Secrets book

https://www.soundonsound.com/shop/books ... all-studio

and here's the Mixing Secrets website

http://www.cambridge-mt.com/MixingSecrets.htm
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby blinddrew » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:42 pm

Mixing secrets for the small studio - Mike Senior, mentioned above by Humble Bee. He also has a book called Recording secrets for the small studio.

[EDIT - James beat me to it]
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...