You are here

PledgeMusic in the news

Advice on everything from getting your music heard to setting up a label and royalties.

PledgeMusic in the news

Postby Dave B » Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:28 pm

Apparently things aren't too rosy for them and they are trying to sort themselves out. Let's hope that they get it all fixed and pay the artists that they currently owe money to.

I'd never come across them before - I think I'd heard reference to it, but never really looked hard. Anyone here use it? (Either as an artist or customer) Anything that is an alternative to major labels is something that interests me - is this the next level above something like CD Baby? Or is it more 'social media + product' type thing?
Dave B
Jedi Poster
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi (I came, I saw, I conkered)

Re: PledgeMusic in the news

Postby blinddrew » Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:23 pm

It's more like a kickstarter thing. I'd been aware of it but hadn't heard about the issues until today. Will be interesting to see how it shakes down.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Re: PledgeMusic in the news

Postby BigRedX » Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:44 pm

My last band signed up but never got around to actually doing a campaign. Probably just as well.

TBH, I've always been suspicious of these services. You still need to have a decent sized fan base in the first place to make it work, which to me defeats the object as it will only properly fund artists who are already well enough established to have a large enough following. Recording and releasing music has never been cheaper in real terms than it is today, so if you are in need of a service like this then IMO there is something wrong with your business model as an artist.
BigRedX
Frequent Poster
RockinRollin' VampireMan