You are here

Approaching Labels, management, publishing companies

Advice on everything from getting your music heard to setting up a label and royalties.

Approaching Labels, management, publishing companies

Postby mickeyderon » Sat Feb 16, 2019 2:36 pm

Call me naïve any particular ways I should approach labels, management or publishing companies or template emails ?
mickeyderon
Poster

Re: Approaching Labels, management, publishing companies

Postby blinddrew » Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:18 pm

It's a long time since I did anything like that but fundamentally you have to do your research.
Find the reps for music like yours, look for the ones that have a gap in their catalogue or seem to be expanding that area. Get the name of the AR rep. Basically, work out what you have to sell and find someone who's buying.
I'd try and avoid template letters, by all means google them and use them as a guide to what goes in there, but you have to write it as you.
In publishing, if you're looking for an agent, you send a covering letter, a CV, and the first three chapters of your work. The chapters show you can write, the CV shows you have staying power and a work ethic, the covering letter shows you're not nuts. :)
The principle will be the same. Your music shows your talent, your CV/history shows that you've got drive, determination and commitment, and you covering letter shows that you're a nice person and you're going to easy to work with.
If your stuff doesn't demonstrate that, then you need to work on it until it does I reckon.

Others may be along shortly to disagree...
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby BigRedX » Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:45 pm

Unfortunately IME the only labels, management and publishing companies worth dealing with are the ones that contact you first.
BigRedX
Frequent Poster
RockinRollin' VampireMan

Postby The Red Bladder » Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:26 pm

mickeyderon wrote:Call me naïve any particular ways I should approach labels, management or publishing companies or template emails ?
They do not want to be contacted, unless you are appearing at a medium or larger festival or venue and have a substantial following.

They also want you to fill a gap in the market that they are seeking to fill. As BigRadX says, they contact you - though if you feel that your music might fit their stable, you can invite them to your gigs at said festivals.

Right now, I can place a funky young Gaelic band in a film cameo. The opportunities are that specific!
The Red Bladder
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby CS70 » Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:17 pm

The Red Bladder wrote:a funky young Gaelic band

I'm kinda visualizing a hobbit with a moustache. Best of luck :D :D
CS70
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video  and the FB page

Postby mickeyderon » Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:35 am

Well thanks for all that information guys, it's really been a big help ! :thumbup:
mickeyderon
Poster