You are here

Just stumbled on this today

Advice on everything from getting your music heard to setting up a label and royalties.

Just stumbled on this today

Postby Folderol » Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:45 am

A youtube blog from someone who actually makes a lot of sense and explains his viewpoint remarkably clearly.
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Yes. I am that Linux nut.
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Re: Just stumbled on this today

Postby Martin Walker » Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:29 pm

'Timbral variety' peaked in the 1960's - fascinating! :o

Thanks for the link Folderol! :thumbup:

Martin
Martin Walker

Re: Just stumbled on this today

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:52 pm

Hmmm... not so sure about the veracity of some of the claims made, and I sensed a good deal of careful cherry-picking to try to demonstrate support for the arguments -- like selecting some outstandingly good lyrics from 60s hits and comparing them to some outstandingly ad ones from more recent times... Hardly convincing proof!

Some of the demos were a little contrived and heavy-handy, too... but all that said, it was certainly a very cohesive and well-argued presentation, and I think the general gist was spot on and will serve as an eye-opener for anyone that hasn't stopped to think about the standards and motivations of the current music industry.

To be fair, though, there have always been a relative few ultra-prolific song-writers dominating the industry -- it's the nature of the beast -- although more of them tended to perform their own works in their own bands back in the 60s than is the case now. Probably because the industry wasn't so appallingly focused on 'pretty young people' as it is now.

Nevertheless, despite the claims, i think there is still some good, inventive, timbrally-varied music being made today. it just takes a little more effort to find it amongst the heavily-promoted dross.

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound