You are here

Music promotion - is social media pointless? (This is not a rant).

Advice on everything from getting your music heard to setting up a label and royalties.

Music promotion - is social media pointless? (This is not a rant).

Postby Guest » Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:25 am

Many professional musicians I know use Facebook and Twitter, I'm convinced it is pointless as promotion, although many advisers say social media is essential. My colleagues, who are very good classical musicians, will be involved in exchanges like this:

"Hi Chloe, great concert last night - really enjoyed it."

"Thanks James, glad you could make it".

As friends exchanging comments, it's their business, but this really is the level of the exchanges. As I refuse to get involved in social media, am I missing out? The musicians are late twenties upwards - I am certain it does not help their careers at all. Does anyone disagree?

Re: Music promotion - is social media pointless? (This is not a rant).

Postby Brian M Rose » Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:51 am

I also personally hate Social Media. Having said that at Radio Harrow (a local Hospital/Community Internet radio station) we get far more hits and listens on our Social Media than the live station itself.
In this I don't think we are all that different from any other similar organisations.
Brian M Rose
Regular

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:06 am

I have no quantitative figures for how effective it is, but I wouldn't say it's pointless.

For every one person participating in a banal dialogue, there are dozens of their friends and acquaintances watching and absorbing who might subsequently be inspired to attend a concert... which must surely count as promotion and be at least as effective as gluing posters on walls, or placing ads in papers....

Personally, I'm not a fan of social media in general, and only maintain a small and private footprint on Faceache as a relatively convenient way of keeping in touch with far flung family and close friends... but even so it's surprising how often I learn about concerts and other events that I wouldn't otherwise have known about through that medium.

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Mike Stranks » Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:21 am

Friend of mine is a professional musician and has had a website for many years.

He grew concerned that the number of page views was on a slow decline so embraced Facebook. Contacts and interest in his work rocketed...

He still has the website - including a forum - but most of the interaction is now via FB.
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby ore_terra » Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:39 am

I'm very bad (lazy?) at it myself, but do I see people making very good use of Facebook and Twitter for promotion purposes.
ore_terra
Frequent Poster

Postby Watchmaker » Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:40 am

Social media's a trip. The hybridization of marketing and social interaction. Every pro musician I know has someone who manages an "online presence" for them in a branded portfolio and they all have separate private accounts.

Working from the premises: there's no such thing as bad press, the best advertising is word of mouth, and the notion of six degrees of separation, it's easy to convince yourself and others that social media works to your advantage. I have yet to see any quantification supporting that though.
Watchmaker
Frequent Poster
Take my advice, I'm not using it.

Postby BigRedX » Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:14 pm

I am on social media for the sole purpose of promoting my various musical and artistic activities.

If it wasn't for that I probably wouldn't bother. My girlfriend shows me all the cute cat videos anyway so I wouldn't need an account of my own to see them.
BigRedX
Frequent Poster
RockinRollin' VampireMan

Postby Guest » Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:22 pm

Watchmaker wrote:Social media's a trip. The hybridization of marketing and social interaction.

That's what I have found and I cannot fathom the conventions or rules. The lack of perceived boundaries makes me uncomfortable.
Over half the musicians I work with are female, and they will have a Facebook post about a workshop and concert they are doing in a prestigious venue with colleague who's an internationally respected performer and teacher. The next post a will be a picture of them and their friends in party dresses being silly at a friend's wedding.
The males are the same. There will be a trailer to a television programme they wrote the music for and is now up for an award. Then they will post a clichéd, ill-thought-out rant about a politician that wouldn't get space in the worst tabloid.

I am confused by the whole thing.

Postby blinddrew » Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:36 pm

The thing about social media is that there are no rules about how you use it.
It's not a marketing tool, nor is it (any longer) a social platform for friends to talk. It's a weird hybrid place that still doesn't know itself what it's about.
So the only rule is really, use it however it works for you. Whether that's solely as a catch-point to try and drag people to your website, or whether it's completely integrated into your entire online persona. They're both equally valid approaches if they're working for you.
I have full time musician friends, in the same genre, in the same town, who take completely different approaches and both make it work.

Fundamentally, there are definite advantages to having a presence on the main platforms in terms of how easy it is to be discovered and how easy it is to interact with fans.
But equally, there are cons in terms of how many places you need to keep up to date, trying to accurately work out your return on investment (time as well as paid promotions), and (if you're successful) managing your fan interactions.

You can find anecdotes a plenty on both sides but the major players tend to hold the actual hard data pretty close to their chests (unlike some of our data! ;) ) so it's all a bit unknown unless you do your own tests.

So to go right back to the opening question, it's not pointless, but it's not a silver bullet or even essential. It is, like everything else, what you make it.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby ManFromGlass » Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:08 pm

Speaking of data - this could be total self promotional social media bullshit, or not. I find the concept interesting as it is rather alien to me. I grew up in the era of printing and then putting up posters, mailing postcards, sending physical press releases that may or may not include a demo cassette or CD to the local newspapers. This link may have come from somebodies post here on SOS.

https://www.sprocketwebsites.com/Blog/h ... cial-media
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Sam Spoons » Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:23 pm

I'm on facebook and it has it's uses. I don't like much of what goes on there but if you are prepared to pick and choose your input and which groups you subscribe to the benefits, for me at least (ant at the moment) outweigh the disadvantages.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby MOF » Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:46 pm

A friend of mine has built up a business selling photographs on print, canvas etc, mostly through social media, he has his business account on FB separate from his personal account, he joins related groups on there to link to his business page but keeps it social, not obviously touting for business. He posts regularly!!!
MOF
Regular

Postby blinddrew » Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:56 pm

ManFromGlass wrote:Speaking of data - this could be total self promotional social media bullshit, or not. I find the concept interesting as it is rather alien to me. I grew up in the era of printing and then putting up posters, mailing postcards, sending physical press releases that may or may not include a demo cassette or CD to the local newspapers. This link may have come from somebodies post here on SOS.

https://www.sprocketwebsites.com/Blog/h ... cial-media
It's a few years out of date, so you can shorten most of those timeframes - probably by half - but the theory is sound and the data behind it (at the time) was valid. :)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Guest » Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:23 am

blinddrew wrote:So to go right back to the opening question, it's not pointless, but it's not a silver bullet or even essential. It is, like everything else, what you make it.

That's exactly what I wanted to read Drew - "or even essential". I would say I hate social media and most classical musicians are incompetent at it. It is not just because of data collection, insecure storing of passwords, ruthless monopolism etc. It is social media we should be wary of, not chemtrails.

#hogwash #timewaste #opiumofthemasses

Postby CS70 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:52 am

I'd say that it is marketing, in the sense that it creates potential exposure to an certain audience. It's even a bit better than traditional media, as it allows for slightly better targeting.
It's a slow burning one and, like for any marketing, you have to keep on grinding to get results. But, if you have a good musical "product" and a suitable target audience, it can seriously help opening doors.. if that's what you want.

When it comes to the "odd" streams.. excluding people just dicking around, it's all about branding - young and nice looking gal/guys know that their look is an asset towards their intended audience, and exploit it - hence the combination of "serious" pics and "look I'm smashing" or "hey I'm doing a cool thing" ones. Young audiences are all for "real", "in the moment" pics and that's what works with them. Older people would miss the point and wonder why :) Bit like when I see my older son snapchatting..

When it comes to the hate - well, it all depends on your aims. Few musicians take pleasure in self-promotion, so I guess most of us don't particularly like it on social media as well. On the other side, it's a tool for a goal - bit like using a hammer for a nail. You many not particularly enjoy it, but if you've gotta build a house, a hammer is useful and you're much better off using it - that's about it.
CS70
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video  and the FB page

Postby OneWorld » Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:20 pm

I think social media is not different than any other media in so much that you need friends that have friends - FarceBook is a perfect example, it did little more than MySpace but $uckerberg was very well connected, or more to the point his father was. I could never fathom why sites like MySpace/Bebo etc got scant attention from the trad media outlets, but when FB came on the scene, the Gurniand, the BBC et al gave FB wall2wall 24/7 carpet bomb coverage - why? how? FB did nothing that other nascent social media weren't doing already.

This phenomenon is shown again on YouTube, some people post a vid of their cat doing a fandango and it get a few 100 hits, someone else's cat does the same and somehow they have built a 100million viewer YT channel career out of it, it doesn't stack up, so I guess they have contacts. And of course there are the situations where budding social media celebrities buy 'friends' and 'influencers'
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby MOF » Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:33 pm

This phenomenon is shown again on YouTube, some people post a vid of their cat doing a fandango and it get a few 100 hits, someone else's cat does the same and somehow they have built a 100million viewer YT channel career out of it, it doesn't stack up

It’s all about regular posting i.e. daily and joining related groups, see my earlier post. You have to treat it as a job.
At least with the internet you have the possibility of doing it yourself but if you were paying a manager/agent/publicist they would be full time on the job getting you the exposure.
It’s taken my friend two years to get to the point where his photography business is starting to pay.
MOF
Regular

Postby Stickman0_3 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:56 am

As Blind Drew says - social media it's what you make it and it can be a lot of hard work. I don't gig, so I have several webpages. 80% of the time I promote my work. Think of it like this -

I have a product to sell
It's on the shelf
For people to notice it I need to promote it
I'll put a message out on my webpages about my product
And get people interested
I go to a Social Media Cafe and promote it
Etc...
Stickman0_3
Regular

Postby The Bunk » Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:22 pm

I use FB mostly; not exactly self-promotion as I'm not trying to achieve that and it's certainly not a business requirement for me, so it's more light entertainment which I know some of my followers / friends enjoy. If I wanted to try and get stacks more views, more followers etc, that would involve networking and that would involve opening yourself up to following / liking / befriending all sorts of people, just so that my name is out there. And from what little of that I've done so far, that has involved pretty much being bombarded by stuff in which I have absolutely no interest at all, mostly.

There have undoubtedly been a lot of instances of people wanting to hook up with me on social media more for their own self promotion than anything. It happens A LOT on Soundcloud; I've posted a track, suddenly get a load of "new followers" who, I have since discovered, have no real interest in my stuff, they're just drawing attention to themselves.

So whilst it is possibly helpful, but not essential, it's a two-way street. Yes, you may be missing out if you're not using it but you're also missing out on being targeted yourself once you do start using it, and I can quite happily live with that!
The Bunk
Frequent Poster
2 answers; 799 questions and about 58 "Mornington Crescent" posts.

Postby OneWorld » Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:38 am

Stickman0_3 wrote:As Blind Drew says - social media it's what you make it and it can be a lot of hard work. I don't gig, so I have several webpages. 80% of the time I promote my work. Think of it like this -

I have a product to sell
It's on the shelf
For people to notice it I need to promote it
I'll put a message out on my webpages about my product
And get people interested
I go to a Social Media Cafe and promote it
Etc...

It just seems these days is more about how many likes you have on FB than whether you could play your way through anything more than a 3 chord trick, mind thus it ever was I guess.

An advertising executive once told me "It goes like this - a fish lays 1000's of eggs at a time, and a hen might lay 2 or 3 eggs, but hen's eggs are more popular than fish eggs, and the reason is when a hen lays an egg, it crows about it, and makes a big deal about it" I did say to him "But fish can't crow anyway" However I got the point.

Simon Cowell also once alluded to the point and he said "If you walk down the aisles of the supermarket you'll see stacks of different washing powder, all claiming to be the best, but what is in the boxes is essentially the same but we(SiCo LTD) make our boxes look more appealing because we keep telling people we're the best, so I suppose we're the best at telling people we're the best"
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Next