You are here

Music promotion - is social media pointless? (This is not a rant).

Advice on everything from getting your music heard to setting up a label and royalties.

Re: Music promotion - is social media pointless? (This is not a rant).

Postby MOF » Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:52 pm

if you are not a performing musician, none of the above will apply - in which case, carry on performing in your bedroom and perhaps your teddy bear will give you a standing ovation!

I would say you’re more likely to have success from recording in your bedroom studio then promoting your songs via social media these days than endless gigging, if you’re able to get gigs in the first place, they require someone to do the promotion in the first place.
MOF
Frequent Poster

Postby CS70 » Sat May 04, 2019 8:33 am

The Red Bladder wrote:The reality is, nearly everything I see and hear, whether that is in our studio, online or in a club or pub that is not popular and successful is failing for one reason and one reason only -

It just is not good enough!

You’re being overly optimistic! You.ve gotta be appealing, not good. Anybody who’s been in high school knows the difference.

Do you have at least five melodies in every song? Are the bridges in the right key? Does the middle-eight rip one out of one's seat? Are all the harmonies and the counterpoints right and satisfying to listen to? And above all, are there some really good hooks in every song?

There’s a gazillion songs which do not have any of that and have been very successful commercially.

Popularity and success, in music like any other field of life, are complex processes for which there are many paths and no recipes. There’s a few common qualities who help (grit, determination or amazing looks or amazing work quality or likeability or ability to network and dozens more) but you certainly don’t even need all of them. Finally, randomness reigns supreme and affect you and anybody else way more than we like to think (starting with the most basic requirement of all.. your existence).

Social media is an helper because it gives you a little bit more steering on your image, and having a great quality product is an helper because it will increse your attractiveness to people who care about quality, but there’s many roads to success (and many more dead ends).

Here in Norway one of the most popular products ever is a kind of frozen pizza which, from the point of view of food quality is absolutely sh**te, and universally recognised as such. And yet it has other qualities (price, ease of preparation, social acceptance) which make it the national dish (probably in a tie with street kebab) and the hard truth is that the buyers - youngsters and family moms in desperate need of a quick dinner fix for Saturdays, mainly - don’t know and don’t care less about good food.

Guess what, these are in great part the same peole who buys (stream) music..

If there
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby The Red Bladder » Sat May 04, 2019 11:07 am

CS70 wrote:
Do you have at least five melodies in every song? Are the bridges in the right key? Does the middle-eight rip one out of one's seat? Are all the harmonies and the counterpoints right and satisfying to listen to? And above all, are there some really good hooks in every song?

There’s a gazillion songs which do not have any of that and have been very successful commercially.

Name one!

Here in Norway one of the most popular products ever is a kind of frozen pizza which, from the point of view of food quality is absolutely sh**te, and universally recognised as such. And yet it has other qualities (price, ease of preparation, social acceptance) which make it the national dish (probably in a tie with street kebab) and the hard truth is that the buyers - youngsters and family moms in desperate need of a quick dinner fix for Saturdays, mainly - don’t know and don’t care less about good food.

If they keep that up, they'll end up looking English - or worse still, American!
The Red Bladder
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Watchmaker » Sat May 04, 2019 12:02 pm

Haha. There's an ego* based fallacy that tells us, hard work and our own inherent greatness leads inexorably to success, and if someone else is not successful, well it's cause they just ain't got the dedication to amazingness required and they get what they deserve.

I would offer that the literally tens of millions of people with vast amounts of innate talent who currently reside in refugee camps have no hope of success due to factors beyond their control - factors sadly, largely within OUR control, but that's a different kettle of fish. So the factors cited about what leads people to success is deceptive. Bob Dylan can't sing. Celine Dion has an amazing band but can't write. Snorah Jones is great in the studio but boooooring on stage. I know plenty of musicians who blow all of them away and can't get a gig on Saturday night because they can't be arsed to put on face paint and prance around a stage.

* I mean ego in the Jungian sense in that ego is a structural element of the human conscious mind, neither good not bad inherently, but as a mediator of personi which imbues itself with a sense of purpose. It arises as a matter of evolutionary biology and can be well formed or deformed genetically or experientially. Egos being fragile, they are often butt hurt.
Watchmaker
Frequent Poster
Take my advice, I'm not using it.

Postby TNGator » Sun May 12, 2019 2:22 am

Oh boy..what a cool topic and Im so glad this was raised. Im a stuck at home musician/writer. we dont have a great gig scene in Dublin and besides...country is a non runner here. So my only option is to try pitch songs to publisher sin Nashville. Or....use what a lot of artists are calling the DIY model. these are bands that have decided they dont need a lable and are going it alone by using all the platforms. FB, Instagram, Titter etc. But they at least have bands and actual gigs so they have interesting pics of them playing to upload. I cant keep uploading a pic of me sitting here at home with my guitar. So the original question of is this a waste of time...for me it seems to be.
And Im not very good at social media anyway. Im on FB but honestly wouldnt be posting stuff daily. And apparantly this what you need to do...be constantly posting stuff.
Have you seent he number of emails you get from orgs trying to sell you courses on hot to use social media to increase your fans, sell more merch? There's Rick Barker who was T Swifts manager. So he's goign to cost an arm and a leg. Theres a girl who runs the Savvy Musician. Shes a stay at home mom who claims to be earning a 6 figure income from selling ehr music online and has never played a gig. She is charge about $800 for her course. And there are others such as Bree Noble, Dave Kusek, Bobby Owinski
Well i dont have any fans or merch and i dont have friends who are in bands. Im on the older side of things and lost touch with the "cool kids" about 150 years ago. For now, I'll keep working on getting the few songs i wrote recorded and uploaded. From there I might look into the social media thing a bit more. But right now I dont have a decent product on the shelves so no point in advertising the store or the big sale starting monday. Despite all the hype about social media I've seen on other sites and forums it's interesting for me to see the number of posts here that are very similar to my own thinking.
No one here so far is buying the "go team" bull. Great post and really glad this question was raised.
TNGator
Regular
Southern kin y'all

Postby Stickman0_3 » Tue May 21, 2019 9:00 am

I'm on Facebook but I don't have any likes - that should not bother me, I'm too busy promoting my music.
Stickman0_3
Regular

Previous