You are here

8 Track return

Advice on everything from getting your music heard to setting up a label and royalties.

Re: 8 Track return

Postby blinddrew » Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:43 am

Good plan, but I hear the really trendy types have already moved on from Shoreditch as it's become too gentrified...
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby MOF » Fri Apr 26, 2019 4:03 pm

MOF wrote:
Bring back wax cylinders, for that real original retro vibe.

Or even player pianos, or even..............musicians playing live sets

Careful now, I think that's a step too far. :D
MOF
Regular

Postby ManFromGlass » Sat Apr 27, 2019 12:48 am

I just might be able to fit a trio in my car, if the drum kit is small . . . .
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby OneWorld » Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:20 am

ManFromGlass wrote:I just might be able to fit a trio in my car, if the drum kit is small . . . .

Get a Vauxhall Viva
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby ken long » Mon Apr 29, 2019 4:51 pm

Mike Stranks wrote:8-track? Cassette? Pah!

Bring back Elcaset say I! Analogue, shiny machines with proper meters, clunky switches and large pots .... what more could you want for superb audio?

(The search-term 'Elcaset' will now rocket-up the Google popular searches chart! ) :lol:

Elcasets are very good quality if used properly though!
ken long
Frequent Poster (Level2)
I'm All Ears.

Postby johnny h » Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:52 pm

blinddrew wrote:Good plan, but I hear the really trendy types have already moved on from Shoreditch as it's become too gentrified...
Many years ago. Now its a strange combination of tech bros, city boys and unimaginative tourists. The junkies and scam artists are still here, however.
johnny h
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby TNGator » Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:15 pm

:lol:
nathanscribe wrote:They should bring back smoking at pub gigs, modern air just lacks the vintage warmth of a crowded boozer.
TNGator
Regular
Southern kin y'all

Postby Sam Spoons » Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:31 pm

I love that "The Grammy-winner is determined to leave no music format behind. Late Night Feelings will also be released on vinyl, cassette and MiniDisc" so digital and compressed MiniDisc's are good but CD isn't :clap: :clap: :clap:
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby MOF » Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:24 pm

I love that "The Grammy-winner is determined to leave no music format behind. Late Night Feelings will also be released on vinyl, cassette and MiniDisc" so digital and compressed MiniDisc's are good but CD isn't :clap: :clap: :clap:
What about wax cylinders and shellac discs?
MOF
Regular

Postby BigRedX » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:44 am

MOF wrote:
What about wax cylinders and shellac discs?

I trust it will also be available as badly transcribed sheet music for pub piano and a guitar accompaniment featuring chords that all require at least 5 fingers and a 4 bar stretch to play.
BigRedX
Frequent Poster
RockinRollin' VampireMan

Postby Elephone » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:07 pm

Rather than start a thread for a 'by the way...'

Does anyone know where I can buy miniature 3" tape reel spools? I only need two to work in a 'portable' machine. They never seem to come up on e-Bay. I thought of trying to adapt a VHS video spool by altering the hole somehow, but they're also wider, obviously.
Elephone
Frequent Poster

Postby Elephone » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:21 pm

One thing about cassette tape recorders ...it's still harder to get an 'instant record' with digital tech.

I used to have my mono cassette recorder handy for ideas/memos, so it was just rec+play and it'd be recording. No fuss.

I substituted it with a MiniDisc, then basically stopped altogether because it wasn't even 'instant on' let alone record.

The cassette recorders with the built in mic & mono speaker used to be everywhere. I can't remember the last time I saw one. I never see them in charity shops, not up north.
Elephone
Frequent Poster

Postby MOF » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:32 pm

One thing about cassette tape recorders ...it's still harder to get an 'instant record' with digital tech.
I use the dictation app' on the iPhone, it's instantaneous "record" and easy to backup on my iMac which I then copy into Logic to flesh out the arrangement.
The thing I miss about micro-cassette recorders is the ability to do a crash edit drop in where I'd made a mistake, not a nice sound but a quick way to get the ideas down. Now I listen to the first recording and then quickly record a separate new file from where I went wrong and label it song X No2.
MOF
Regular

Postby The Elf » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:45 pm

Elephone wrote:One thing about cassette tape recorders ...it's still harder to get an 'instant record' with digital tech.
I've made some inspiring recordings at the drop of a hat with my phone, many of which have made it to final mix. From inspiration to recording takes around 3 seconds!
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby James Perrett » Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:01 pm

Elephone wrote:Does anyone know where I can buy miniature 3" tape reel spools? I only need two to work in a 'portable' machine. They never seem to come up on e-Bay.

I think you have to be patient. One suggestion would be to find some small 8mm cine spools which will probably fit. There was a similar thread last year at

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/sho ... p?t=149493
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby Elephone » Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:25 pm

James Perrett wrote:
Elephone wrote:Does anyone know where I can buy miniature 3" tape reel spools? I only need two to work in a 'portable' machine. They never seem to come up on e-Bay.

I think you have to be patient. One suggestion would be to find some small 8mm cine spools which will probably fit. There was a similar thread last year at

Found two 8mm spools on e-Bay. Didn't think I'd solve that one so easy! Thanks.
Elephone
Frequent Poster

Postby Elephone » Thu Jul 04, 2019 5:50 pm

Elephone wrote:
James Perrett wrote:

Found two 8mm spools on e-Bay. Didn't think I'd solve that one so easy! Thanks.

Ah! It wasn't. They're a good size, but the hole-size is different (looks much like other non-audio tape spools used for DIY tape). I'll have to find some way to make the holes smaller.
Elephone
Frequent Poster

Postby Arpangel » Sat Jul 13, 2019 3:14 pm

Never liked 8 track, always thought it sounded bad, in a bad way.
I was going to buy a record deck a few weeks back, hell no, I've got lots of records, but nothing to play them on. Thank god.
I'm not romantic about them at all, we sat in the local hi-fi shop demo room distinctly underwhelmed, as we listened to clicks pops low dynamic range and over priced record players, after that we had to put all these records carefully back in their sleeves, it was all too boring for words, and I still have no record deck.
It's almost too much trouble to put a CD on, I've got so used to YouTube on my i Pad, through my John Lewis £40 radio, and what's more, the quallity or lack of it doesn't bother me..
Arpangel
Frequent Poster

Previous