You are here

AVID stock is ready to go up?!?

Advice on everything from getting your music heard to setting up a label and royalties.

Re: AVID stock is ready to go up?!?

Postby Guest » Thu May 09, 2019 12:10 pm

The Red Bladder wrote:
Funky Dude did, however, sell about $8m worth of shares in mid-April at c.a. $8.50, but is holding the rest, so either there is good news coming down the pipe - or he is waiting for another profit-taking peak, giving him the opportunity to shuffle gracefully (and profitably) out of the door - who knows!

Or it could be because of the very strict U.S. dealing laws and does not want to attract attention. (It's a long time since I read the laws around trading so I am not writing this definitely.)

Postby The Red Bladder » Thu May 09, 2019 12:41 pm

Actually, that is spot-on. As his investment fund is a 'body of significant influence' his dealings must be filed with the Securities Commission and everybody can see what his company is up to! I have just totted up his sales and it was somewhat less than I stated - about $5-6m.

As you said, if you own 20% of a rising company that was hailed as being mismanaged and undervalued and you now want to cash in your chips and head quietly for the door without startling the other patrons and thereby ruining the price, you have to do so in small amounts.
The Red Bladder
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby johnny h » Sun May 12, 2019 2:26 pm

DC-Choppah wrote:
The Red Bladder wrote:Avid still has about $220m in accumulated debts and owns no IP whatsoever.

I am not sure if IP is an issue here.

I appreciate your insights that the company sold their IP and copyrights and now have none.

For most customers we don't care.

Most things are already over engineered now anyway.

We just don't want to relearn stuff that we already know. Time is money.
Yeah, sure. But do the younger generation care for pro tools? Almost everyone I know who still uses it is over 40. In many areas it has long been surpassed by many other pieces of software which are more efficient and not tied to clunky hardware.
johnny h
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sun May 12, 2019 3:23 pm

johnny h wrote:But do the younger generation care for pro tools? Almost everyone I know who still uses it is over 40.

It certainly not the best tool for making 'beatz' and all that but, for good or ill*, it remains the most widely and consistently taught -- and used -- DAW software in pretty much every college and university running music tech (and related courses) across the UK, and probably most of the rest of the world too...

And in my experience, a direct consequence is that the vast majority of students on these courses have one form or other of PT on their laptops -- albeit possibly in addition to other DAWs.

The point being that there really are a heck of a lot of people under 40 who do use it, and use it regularly... whether or not you come across them personally in your travels.

*I think my views on this topic are already well-known... ;-)
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Guest » Sun May 12, 2019 5:50 pm

I have read many interviews that have included videos or photographs of young producers of hip hop and dance influenced pop music using ProTools. Here's a quote from a Sound On Sound interview with Chainsmokers:

Once the Chainsmokers judge that the vocal recordings and music for a song are complete, Taggart sends Swivel his entire Ableton session, exported as Wave files, which the Canadian then imports to Pro Tools

https://www.soundonsound.com/techniques/inside-track-chainsmokers-closer

If they are over forty I'll ask them what moisturisers they use.

Postby blinddrew » Sun May 12, 2019 8:32 pm

Still Vibrations wrote:If they are over forty I'll ask them what moisturisers they use.
Something warm and smooth - probably analogue. ;)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Guest » Mon May 13, 2019 8:55 am

Jack Antonoff uses Pro Tools as well:

https://www.soundonsound.com/people/jack-antonoff

Hugh Robjohns wrote:*I think my views on this topic are already well-known... ;-)

Although it looks stupid written down, when I first started using computers for music it concerned me that I could not afford the only true professional DAW - Pro Tools. It was Sound On Sound and this forum that disabused me of that common but silly opinion.

Postby blinddrew » Mon May 13, 2019 10:14 am

Still Vibrations wrote:Although it looks stupid written down, when I first started using computers for music it concerned me that I could not afford the only true professional DAW - Pro Tools. It was Sound On Sound and this forum that disabused me of that common but silly opinion.
Likewise, i've unlearned a lot of nonsense on here. :)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby johnny h » Tue May 21, 2019 3:04 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:
johnny h wrote:But do the younger generation care for pro tools? Almost everyone I know who still uses it is over 40.

It certainly not the best tool for making 'beatz' and all that but, for good or ill*, it remains the most widely and consistently taught -- and used -- DAW software in pretty much every college and university running music tech (and related courses) across the UK, and probably most of the rest of the world too...

And in my experience, a direct consequence is that the vast majority of students on these courses have one form or other of PT on their laptops -- albeit possibly in addition to other DAWs.

The point being that there really are a heck of a lot of people under 40 who do use it, and use it regularly... whether or not you come across them personally in your travels.
While its easy to be slightly sniffy about people making 'beatz', these are not the only people I am referring to. Admittedly it is quite impressive to see an experienced pro tools wizard comping vocal takes at high speed. I'm not saying Pro Tools is done, but the advantages it offers are declining year on year against competing (and much cheaper) systems.

As for the vast amounts of college and university music tech courses in the world, I believe I have every right to be equally sniffy about how relevant this is to music industry reality. These days its possible for an 18 year old kid to be DJing off the back of making 'beatz' in his council estate bedroom with some cracked plugins*. I have greater respect for people like that than the middle class delusionals that are happy to waste 10 grand of their parent's money training for a job that has barely existed for a decade.

*I do not support or condone piracy, but I'm willing to cut people a bit of slack if their opportunities in life are below average.
johnny h
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Tue May 21, 2019 5:11 pm

johnny h wrote:I'm not saying Pro Tools is done, but the advantages it offers are declining year on year against competing (and much cheaper) systems.

I completely agree... but your original claim was that no one under 40 uses it... which is clearly not the case and something you appear to be backtracking on by making similarly contentious tangential assertions. :D

And I wasn't being 'sniffy' -- I was trying to be light-hearted while recognising the differently orientated feature sets of other DAWs, such as Ableton.

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby The Red Bladder » Tue May 21, 2019 5:19 pm

One full-time member of Team Bladder here at Bladder Towers uses PT and she is in her 30s.

One part-time member of Team Bladder is a devoted PT user and he is in his 20's (just).
The Red Bladder
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby johnny h » Tue May 21, 2019 6:22 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:
johnny h wrote:I'm not saying Pro Tools is done, but the advantages it offers are declining year on year against competing (and much cheaper) systems.

I completely agree... but your original claim was that no one under 40 uses it... which is clearly not the case and something you appear to be backtracking on by making similarly contentious tangential assertions. :D
What I actually said was most (and certainly not all!) people I have met on my travels who still use pro tools are over 40. This is my personal experience and I simply posed a question about whether PT is still as relevant for younger people - a question that seems to have been taken the wrong way for some reason.

I very much stand by my point about the futility of 99% of “music tech” courses.
johnny h
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby The Red Bladder » Thu May 30, 2019 11:50 am

Warning (if you are holding Avid shares) - Funky Dude has sold well over half his holdings in Avid at an average of $8.50 a share and maybe still selling some more in the days to come.
The Red Bladder
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby DC-Choppah » Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:15 am

Here we go again.

Stock has been trading upward almost to $10/share.

No insiders cashing out.

Market is waiting for (anticipating) next earnings report to see if they are going to continue to be profitable.

Hopefully you stayed in last time. I cashed half out on the spike and kept the other half in.

The second spike should be considerably higher. Or just stay in as the stock resets to a new price point for a profitable company.

All they have to do is break even and it would send the right signal to the market. They already described that the 2nd quarter is always the worst.
DC-Choppah
Frequent Poster

Previous