You are here

List of songs/artists/copyright holders that allow their content to be sampled

Advice on everything from getting your music heard to setting up a label and royalties.

List of songs/artists/copyright holders that allow their content to be sampled

Postby alexlimbert » Thu May 02, 2019 5:32 am

Hi All,

Is there a database of songs/artists/copyright holders that allow their content to be sampled?

Thank you.

Alex
alexlimbert
Poster

Re: List of songs/artists/copyright holders that allow their content to be sampled

Postby blinddrew » Thu May 02, 2019 8:01 am

Short answer, nope.
Longer answer, nope because the ownership of copyrights is a complicated and fractured set up with different rules and owners in different territories.
Might be worth searching for stuff that's published under Creative Commons licences, particularly CC-0, CC-BY, and CC BY-SA.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Re: List of songs/artists/copyright holders that allow their content to be sampled

Postby alexlimbert » Thu May 02, 2019 8:55 am

Short answer, nope. Longer answer, nope

Love it. lol Got it and thank you for the leads concerning CC-0, CC-BY, and CC BY-SA. I would think that a database, although it sounds like the construction of one would be the hard part, could exist if any artists/copyright holders who actively seek to have their songs sampled and be brought back to life.
alexlimbert
Poster

Postby blinddrew » Thu May 02, 2019 8:58 am

It has been suggested a number of times, and in some countries (where registration is required) it exists, but there's nothing international. It's one of the big issues with Article 13 in the new EU copyright legislation.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby alexlimbert » Thu May 02, 2019 9:24 am

Thank you BlindDrew. Just saw your ID and it's a coincindence that the music I just made was a sample of Blind Blake and Blind Boy Fuller. The music I want to sample is old jazz, blues and classical. Seems like it's going to be a tough endeavor.
alexlimbert
Poster

Postby alexlimbert » Thu May 02, 2019 9:28 am

Oh, I forgot to add that the level of sampling would be extreme slicing (i.e. basically just chord strokes). I would rearrange them where the music would be totally different, only the guitar tones would be the same.
alexlimbert
Poster

Postby Guest » Thu May 02, 2019 9:49 am

alexlimbert wrote:Thank you BlindDrew. Just saw your ID and it's a coincindence that the music I just made was a sample of Blind Blake and Blind Boy Fuller. The music I want to sample is old jazz, blues and classical. Seems like it's going to be a tough endeavor.

It could be that the recording is out of copyright and the song is traditional so all may not be lost. Also some people wrongly claim traditional songs as their own copyright. As for classical music it is easy to find if the composition is out of copyright - however the recording may not be.

And as for copyright of early blues and jazz, the copyright owner is probably not the composer:

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2015/jul/02/the-great-rocknroll-swindle-10-classic-stolen-pop-songs-bob-dylan-elvis-new-order

Postby alexlimbert » Thu May 02, 2019 10:17 am

Thank you. I just realized that Spotify lists who claims to be the copyright holder on the page containing the music. For example, Document Records is claiming to own the copyright to Blind Boy Fuller Vol. 11935-1936. I went to their site and found the following link below. I guess corroborating with a second party to verify if they really own the copyright is probably a good idea and then reaching out to them to ask how much they would charge for a licence is the next step.

http://www.document-records.com/music_licensing.asp#lic
alexlimbert
Poster

Postby James Perrett » Thu May 02, 2019 2:05 pm

If you are sampling pre 1963 recordings you are fine as far as mechanical copyright is concerned although you may still have to pay the writers. However, things become more blurred if you are sampling from something that has been remastered - some people consider that remastering creates a new copyright.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby alexlimbert » Thu May 02, 2019 5:36 pm

Thank you James. In the example I gave above, it appears like Document Records owns the copyright for the 1932 Blind Boy Fuller recording as of 1992. I don't think it was remastered as the quality is quite bad. Would you happen to have authoritative guidance noting the 1963 date as a cutoff as far as what can be freely sampled and what can not?
alexlimbert
Poster

Postby alexlimbert » Fri May 03, 2019 12:36 am

Nevermind James, I found the following:

Determining if US Copyright
Has Expired
Here is our understanding of the law. Keep in mind this summary only applies to published paper-and-ink books/articles, not music, movies, electronic/digital works, unpublished works, works for hire, or other exceptional situations. The library cannot offer legal advice and we do not guarantee the accuracy of this summary, but we have tried to be accurate. If you believe a correction is needed, contact us.

Copyrighted before 1923
Books copyrighted in the US before 1923 are now in the public domain; their copyrights have expired and it is legal to copy such works.

Copyrighted 1923-1963
Books initially copyrighted in the US from 1923 through 1963 are still protected by copyright law if the initial copyright was renewed. The initial copyright term was 28 years and the renewal was 67 more years. For example, a book initially copyrighted in 1923, and renewed, will pass into the public domain in 2019 (i.e., 1923+28+67+1).

To search for copyright renewals of books originally copyrighted 1923-1963, search the Stanford Copyright Renewal Database. If you don't find a renewal here, then the work is now probably in the public domain. Also check Copyright renewal records at Rutgers.
To search for copyright renewals of books originally copyrighted 1951 to date, consult the Library of Congress Copyright Database. This copyright database records every US work copyrighted from 1978 to date. It includes copyright renewals as well as initial copyrights. Works initially copyrighted in 1951 were due for renewal in 1978. So if a work was initially copyrighted 1951-1963, but a renewal is not recorded in this database, then the work is probably in the public domain.
Copyrighted 1964-1977
All books initially copyrighted in the US from 1964 through 1977 have had their copyrights automatically renewed (by law) and the copyrights are still in force. The initial copyright term was 28 years; the renewal was for 67 more years. So a book initially copyrighted in 1964 will pass into the public domain in 1964 + 28 + 67 + 1= 2060.

Copyrighted 1978-
All books initially copyrighted in the US from 1978 to date are still protected by copyright law. The period of copyright protection is governed by complex rules. Generally speaking copyright protection ends 70 years after death of author.

Summary: https://library.dts.edu/Pages/RM/Helps/copyright.shtml
alexlimbert
Poster

Postby zenguitar » Fri May 03, 2019 12:41 am

alexlimbert wrote:Check out this website.

https://freemusicarchive.org/search/?so ... ott+Joplin

Why?

It is run by Kitsplit and this post comes up high on the list when you search for them...

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=18332918

Have you an interest or connection with them?

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
When you see a fork in the road, take it.
Yogi Berra

Postby Watchmaker » Fri May 03, 2019 1:24 am

book copyrights are not the same. Music has all kinds of rights associated with it. Words, music, arrangements, production off the top of my head. - been several years since I dug into it.

In the USA there are also many loopholes to asserting any of those rights, including derivative works, works done in comedy or farce, or if you, the alleged infringer, can clearly show that the work you made using samples doesn't rise to tortious action. i.e cause harm to the holder of the right. The first principle of civil law is standing. Look it up.

Another factor is enforcement risk. unless you make bags of money from stealing, err referencing... other peoples tone (rather than recreate it, or horror! come up with your own) , no one is going to care and probably the worst thing that will happen is a cease and desist order.

If you do make bags of money, well it's only right o share that with those who helped you get it, eh?

Of course, I do not condone or endorse any act against statutes in the jurisdiction you are subject to.
Watchmaker
Frequent Poster
Take my advice, I'm not using it.

Postby alexlimbert » Fri May 03, 2019 7:54 am

If you can't tell by my post let me spell it out for you. I'm looking for people who allow their content to be used. Please try and read better. Furthermore, I'm looking for vintage tones from old recordings to create my own riffs and work so please quit with the assumption the work isn't mine. It's like me saying the manufacturers of your drum set, skins, cymbals and sticks really created your work, not you.
alexlimbert
Poster

Postby alexlimbert » Fri May 03, 2019 8:04 am

zenguitar, Sorry, I am not following what you are asking me, what you are talking about, the references you are making or the link you provided.
alexlimbert
Poster

Postby Guest » Fri May 03, 2019 10:32 am

Just to point out that the verb 'to copyright' does not exist in U.K. law. If you write something, stuff it in the cupboard, someone sneaks in, takes it and releases it, it is still your copyright - assuming you can prove it of course.

Postby Watchmaker » Fri May 03, 2019 11:33 am

alexlimbert wrote:If you can't tell by my post let me spell it out for you. I'm looking for people who allow their content to be used. Please try and read better. Furthermore, I'm looking for vintage tones from old recordings to create my own riffs and work so please quit with the assumption the work isn't mine. It's like me saying the manufacturers of your drum set, skins, cymbals and sticks really created your work, not you.

ooh testy! my my. Perhaps your motives ARE suspect which explains your defensiveness. But I assure you, I was intending to be supportive as it seems your understanding was incomplete.

Being a nice guy, I'll try again, this time with censure and bit of distaste because I'm less supportive now.

Most people want to be reimbursed for their work, which is why there are copyright laws. Perhaps if you learned what caused those "vintage tones" to sound that way, you could achieve that effect quite a bit more easily by using very simple techniques without the potential to infringe on other people's work. Just a thought.
Watchmaker
Frequent Poster
Take my advice, I'm not using it.

Postby alexlimbert » Sat May 04, 2019 8:24 am

Read the subject line and let that sit in. If you still think I am trying to steal stuff. Read again.
alexlimbert
Poster