You are here

New to PRS and PPL, Help!

Advice on everything from getting your music heard to setting up a label and royalties.

Moderator: Moderators

New to PRS and PPL, Help!

Postby RyanMcNally » Tue May 14, 2019 8:43 am

Hey all,
I apologise in advance I am new to this and m probably asking some silly questions but I'm a bit stuck!

I'm a singer/songwriter and last year I released an album through the distribution company Ditto Music.
The distribution generated ISRC codes which I registered onto PRS, giving details of the songs.

After doing this I heard about Sentric Music (The Publishing Company). I signed up to use their site to use the opportunities provided on the site, but duplicates were made of all my songs on PRS, splitting the royalties 50/50 and giving 100% mechanical royalties to them.

I found MCPS very hard to understand and do not know if, as an artist, I should be using it.

I then heard about PPL and was told I should be using them too, so I've registered with them and I am waiting for that to come through.

My music had been played on the radio multiple times and it's annoying me because I known what I should be earning.

How can I test to see if PRS and PPL knows where my music audio and video is being played?
Where (if I even have to) do I claim radio play?
When claiming for live performances both Sentric and PRS want me to claim through them, which do I choose?

Is there an easier way around all of this, I'm having a nightmare, and no one I speak to seems to have the answers either!

Thanks for reading,
Ryan
RyanMcNally

Re: New to PRS and PPL, Help!

Postby Wayne - Traxploitation » Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:47 pm

Hi Ryan,

Not sure if you still need help with this?

I actually made an explainer video that goes over which societies you may need to join depending on what roles you play and what intellectual property you own.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUVAZJ9difM

In short.

If you compose songs, or make new arrangments of public domain work, you need to join PRS. If your songs are to be recorded and then released by someone other than you, or synced in things like movie/tv/video games etc, you will also need MCPS.

If you perform on recordings of any songs, even if you didn't write them, you need to join PPL as a Performer. If you release the music yourself or have a licensing/record deal that means you own the recordings you will also need to join PPL as a "Recording Rightsholder"

As each of these memberships involves a different revenue stream you may need up to 4 different memberships to collect it all.
Don't expect the staff at any of these organisations to know which you should join, they will have very specific knowledge about their own tasks, and little else.

Sentric is a Publishing Administrator, its not essential to have a publisher but there is revenue that only a Publisher can effectively collect, such as syncronisation. They will also make sure all your works are correctly registered and can help with clearing samples and other more complex admin issues.

If you have Sentric make you claims, they will go to PRS and do it for you and then take a cut of the revenue. The PRS website is very straight-forward to use so there's no reason to have someone else do it, unless you really have better things to do with the time or do a very large amount of gigs.

The large license holders, such as the BBC are required to provide PPL and PRS with detailed reports of the music they use so in 99% of cases plays on these stations will automatically be picked up and revenue allocation.

They provide detailed reports on the royalties so you can look for specific plays you may know about. If the money isn't allocated you can then contact the societies to report the missing revenue, you will usually need evidence of the play so keep any screenshots of playlists etc. You have up to 3 years to submit backdated claims for performances at PRS and up to 6 years to make backdated claims for recorded music with PPL and MCPS.

Hopefully this helps a little.

If you need any more information just let me know.

Wayne
Wayne - Traxploitation
New here
www.traxploitation.com/blog
youtube.com/traxploitation

Postby MOF » Wed Apr 28, 2021 3:26 pm

After doing this I heard about Sentric Music (The Publishing Company). I signed up to use their site to use the opportunities provided on the site, but duplicates were made of all my songs on PRS, splitting the royalties 50/50 and giving 100% mechanical royalties to them.

A publishing company shouldn’t have any involvement with mechanical royalties, that’s a record company’s role but they shouldn’t be taking 100%!!!
MOF
Frequent Poster

Postby Wayne - Traxploitation » Wed Apr 28, 2021 4:27 pm

Publishing companies ARE very much involved with mechanicals!

Mechanical copyright is PAID TO the composers, and/or their publishers.

Record companies PAY mechanicals to writers/publishers for the records they manufacture.

If a publisher's client is not directly registered with a mechanical society, such as MCPS then in order for the publisher to collect the writers' share they will need to register 100% and then account to the writer and pay the mechanical revenue pro-rata as per their publishing agreement.

Likewise the 50/50 split, it's not that the publisher gets 50% and keeps it all.
They still have to pay some of that to the writer.
50% is the writer share and 50% the publisher share, by default.

If you have a 60/40 publishing split then you get 60% of the publisher share (30% of the whole) paid to you by the publisher and 100% of the writer share paid to you by a PRO, so a total of 80%.

So accordingly, you would expect the mechanicals to be 80/20 if they are registering 100%.
Wayne - Traxploitation
New here

Postby MOF » Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:35 pm

Thanks Wayne, it looks like the OP has only ever posted once and never replied.
MOF
Frequent Poster

Postby Wayne - Traxploitation » Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:35 pm

Yeah, it's an old post but a common source of confusion, so I thought it was worth replying to anyway as this forum ranks well on google.
Wayne - Traxploitation
New here