You are here

marketing 15/30 sec clips

Advice on everything from getting your music heard to setting up a label and royalties.

marketing 15/30 sec clips

Postby GS1 » Mon May 20, 2019 6:07 am

Appreciate any feedback/tips about marketing the kind of short clips you hear in ads on TV,etc..

Putting together full length instrumental tracks and then looking at where I can make different short clips from them,not only 15/30 sec but also 45/60/90 and 1/2 minute segments ....

So far I'm just finding places wanting full length tracks only,and would like to find sites that specialize in this to submit both the source full length track as well as the shorter clips....
GS1
Poster

Re: marketing 15/30 sec clips

Postby MOF » Mon May 20, 2019 7:49 am

I think you’re referring to Library Music companies, you approach them to see if they want your music.
SOS did an item on them here https://www.soundonsound.com/music-busi ... sic-part-1
MOF
Regular

Postby GS1 » Thu May 23, 2019 8:37 pm

Thx for that link..excellent articles...emailed the author...

Still interested in any feedback from people here who have experience marketing these kind of short 15/30 min clips for ads ....especially re-sites that want these in specific like Video Helper(??)
GS1
Poster

Postby Guest » Fri May 24, 2019 9:04 am

My experience with the three production companies I have music on, is that you submit a track, say 2 minutes duration, and either they produce shorter versions themselves or ask you to do it. Because I see from statements that sometimes television companies sometimes use less than 20 seconds of some of my electronic music, I have wondered if I should submit a series of short tracks.

Postby ReadySaltedChris » Fri May 24, 2019 10:49 am

Hi there,

I would say, FWIW, that it is best to offer as many alternatives as possible. Your 30 second clip might be fantastic and that catchy flanged kazoo hook works so great in an ad that some video editor somewhere wants to use a long version of it in a 3 min sports montage on the BBC prior to the World Cup final with a 47 sec breakdown in the middle minus flanged kazoo.

If you see what I mean.

Offering someone short cuts is maybe like ordering a Hawaiian pizza without the ham or pineapple.

IMO.
ReadySaltedChris
Regular

Postby GS1 » Fri May 24, 2019 2:13 pm

Thx for posting-I agree 100% w/the logic here and of course all the different shorter segments made from the full length track will be available along w/it on the website I'm setting up to market my tracks ....

But the reason I started this thread here is that some of the sites I'd been looking at using to to do this either only accept full length tracks for submission
(i.e.Musix X-Ray)or only have these on their site(Musicbed)...
these are both excellent and I plan to use them to get my material out there but..

Since I'm focusing on making these type of 15/30 sec etc. clips-

(and unlike just dividing up a longer track timewise to come up w/these,there's a whole skill set involved here i.e.-

-having the clip start w/some kind of pick-up,either w/the drum track or w/an instrument playing a lead-in figure

-The clip being musically logical in terms of the harmonic-melodic material so it sounds like it works as a piece of music on it's own

-Ending somwhere that works as well w/a rhythmic figure if possible)

I'm interested in finding specific sites or music libraries where they feature these for their clients instead of just the complete track available to be edited down...
GS1
Poster

Postby ReadySaltedChris » Fri May 24, 2019 2:38 pm

GS1 wrote:Thx for posting-I agree 100% w/the logic here and of course all the different shorter segments made from the full length track will be available along w/it on the website I'm setting up to market my tracks ....

But the reason I started this thread here is that some of the sites I'd been looking at using to to do this either only accept full length tracks for submission
(i.e.Musix X-Ray)or only have these on their site(Musicbed)...
these are both excellent and I plan to use them to get my material out there but..

Since I'm focusing on making these type of 15/30 sec etc. clips-

(and unlike just dividing up a longer track timewise to come up w/these,there's a whole skill set involved here i.e.-

-having the clip start w/some kind of pick-up,either w/the drum track or w/an instrument playing a lead-in figure

-The clip being musically logical in terms of the harmonic-melodic material so it sounds like it works as a piece of music on it's own

-Ending somwhere that works as well w/a rhythmic figure if possible)

I'm interested in finding specific sites or music libraries where they feature these for their clients instead of just the complete track available to be edited down...

Sorry if I'm being thick, but every decent music library requires a self contained 30 sec version that works in the way you describe. They have to.

i.e.

I pick this at random...

https://www.extrememusic.com/albums/3391

The 30 sec versions work as stand alone pieces. Often, one might see several 30 sec versions available for the same track along with 60/15/sting/alts and underscores. Stems are available to download with the track too. So every whim is catered for.

I have never heard of Music X-ray or the other one.
ReadySaltedChris
Regular

Postby GS1 » Fri May 24, 2019 2:50 pm

Thx for this link!!
Exactly what I've been looking for-
Chris you say you picked this one at random...
I'd appreciate knowing about any other sites like this...
Not familiar w/ these terms if you could explain them thx-
Stings
Stems

BTW-Are you yourself involved in the same kind of thing I'm doing?
GS1
Poster

Postby ReadySaltedChris » Fri May 24, 2019 3:18 pm

GS1 wrote:Thx for this link!!
Exactly what I've been looking for-
Chris you say you picked this one at random...
I'd appreciate knowing about any other sites like this...
Not familiar w/ these terms if you could explain them thx-
Stings
Stems

BTW-Are you yourself involved in the same kind of thing I'm doing?

Hi. A quick search of this site and the Music for Picture forum over at Gearslutz should provide you with ample info as this is a subject that has been covered quite alot.

Must dash.

Good luck!
ReadySaltedChris
Regular

Postby GS1 » Fri May 24, 2019 3:23 pm

Thx Chris-post some more later when you can..appreciate getting a chance to run things by you ..

Still Vibrations-
Excuse my not seeing/replying to your post...not sure why I didn't get notified about it ...
Which companies do you have material on?
GS1
Poster

Postby ReadySaltedChris » Fri May 24, 2019 4:18 pm

GS1 wrote:Thx Chris-post some more later when you can..appreciate getting a chance to run things by you ..

That's about all I know tbh. Try searching the forums for more info.

All the best!
ReadySaltedChris
Regular

Postby MOF » Fri May 24, 2019 5:23 pm

all the different shorter segments made from the full length track will be available along w/it on the website I'm setting up to market my tracks ....

No need to set up a website if you are going down the library music route as the company you deal with has exclusive rights to your music and pays you your publishing rate as and when they are used.
If you are doing other tracks not intended for library music then fine, go ahead and develop a website.
MOF
Regular

Postby GS1 » Fri May 24, 2019 6:49 pm

MOF appreciate you posting-

Not sure yet what type of business arrangements will result from my efforts to get things marketed..I may be more interested in non-exclusive situations...
Just getting started investigating things and all feedback/tips welcome...
The amount of material I have (plus the fact that some sites I'm thinking using about using require you to pay to submit a single track)leads me in the direction of thinking about having things uploaded to a website that I can use like people use SoundCloud etc....submit some tracks and provide the link back to the website where they can check out more tracks esp.the different short clips available from the full length one...

(Right now I'm involved in putting together an 18 min James Brown/funk track w/about 20 different 8 bar sections combined in different ways to make 13 32 bar forms -this will get cut up into both 3-4 min full length tracks as well as a ton of different short ones,to give
everyone followng this thread a sense of where I'm coming from...)

In addition to the instrumental material I have for usage as is for different contexts,I also hope to market developed song form material(i.e.verse/prechorus/
chorus/bridge)that I have w/different options for the melody line intended for lyrics;both as instrumental tracks as well as for production teams working w/vocalists looking for material...
So while the direct submission of tracks to music libraries and accepting an exclusive-type deal is one of the options I'm looking at,I think having everything available in one place is a good idea and the route I'm going to take...
Finding a situation w/a publishing company that would handle everything would be ideal but not sure how realistic this is ..
GS1
Poster