You are here

Point me to a website about royalties/mech royalties etc!

Advice on everything from getting your music heard to setting up a label and royalties.

Point me to a website about royalties/mech royalties etc!

Postby Dr Huge Longjohns » Thu May 30, 2019 1:45 pm

HI, I'm trying to get my head about all the different sort of royalties a chap needs to be on top of when releasing music via Spotify, Youtube, Live gigs etc etc. Can anyone recommend a nice clear website where all these are spelt out simply and authoritatively?
Dr Huge Longjohns
Frequent Poster (Level2)
"The performance is 99.9% of what people hear"- J. Leckie
"It's all complete nonsense, anyone who knows what they're doing can deliver great results with whatever comes to hand" - H. Robjohns

Re: Point me to a website about royalties/mech royalties etc!

Postby blinddrew » Thu May 30, 2019 1:53 pm

CDBaby's licensing page points you here: https://www.easysonglicensing.com/default.aspx for additional advice. I've only had a very quick scan but it looks fairly useful. Obviously they're trying to sell their service but they've got some quite useful info pages as well, e.g. https://www.easysonglicensing.com/pages ... reams.aspx
US-focused though.

P.S. I am not affiliated etc etc etc
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby blinddrew » Thu May 30, 2019 1:55 pm

This is worth a look as well https://www.prsformusic.com/licences
blinddrew
Jedi Poster

Postby Watchmaker » Thu May 30, 2019 2:46 pm

Dr Huge Longjohns wrote:Can anyone recommend a nice clear website where all these are spelt out simply and authoritatively?

A representative from our Marketing department will be with you shortly. Your estimated wait time is 17, 000 hours.
Watchmaker
Frequent Poster
Take my advice, I'm not using it.

Postby Martin Walker » Thu May 30, 2019 4:24 pm

This website might be useful to you, and IIRC Bemuso (aka Marius Kahan) used to post here on the SOS Forums some time ago - he's certainly had some things published in SOS magazine.

https://www.bemuso.com/musicbiz/

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby James Perrett » Thu May 30, 2019 7:46 pm

Martin Walker wrote:This website might be useful to you, and IIRC Bemuso (aka Marius Kahan) used to post here on the SOS Forums some time ago - he's certainly had some things published in SOS magazine.

https://www.bemuso.com/musicbiz/

I was trying to remember the name of that site as he always seemed pretty knowledgeable - but it was Rob Cumberland rather than Marius Kahan who was behind it.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby Guest » Thu May 30, 2019 11:14 pm

Dr Huge Longjohns wrote:releasing music via Spotify, Youtube, Live gigs etc etc.

The rates I receive for streaming are between £0.0025 and £0.004 per track. About a year ago or so, a young American singer songwriter said she got $37 for one million plays on streaming sites.

Postby James Perrett » Thu May 30, 2019 11:49 pm

Still Vibrations wrote:
Dr Huge Longjohns wrote:releasing music via Spotify, Youtube, Live gigs etc etc.

The rates I receive for streaming are between £0.0025 and £0.004 per track. About a year ago or so, a young American singer songwriter said she got $37 for one million plays on streaming sites.

Do the maths - the story doesn't add up :bouncy: :headbang:
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby Guest » Fri May 31, 2019 9:02 am

James Perrett wrote:
Still Vibrations wrote:

Do the maths - the story doesn't add up :bouncy: :headbang:

I don't understand your post.

Postby Dr Huge Longjohns » Fri May 31, 2019 10:43 am

I think he's saying that a million plays at, say, 0.003 quid a pop, is £3000 revenue. Perhaps her $37 was net after recording, video, label etc costs/royalty shares?
Dr Huge Longjohns
Frequent Poster (Level2)
"It's all complete nonsense, anyone who knows what they're doing can deliver great results with whatever comes to hand" - H. Robjohns

Postby Guest » Fri May 31, 2019 11:02 am

Dr Huge Longjohns wrote:I think he's saying that a million plays at, say, 0.003 quid a pop, is £3000 revenue. Perhaps her $37 was net after recording, video, label etc costs/royalty shares?

These are two unrelated examples. One was my statement, the other was an American singer songwriter. That I cannot explain the difference does not invalidate these two statements.

One explanation could be that one work I had streamed was 22 minutes long; another is that my music is unpublished, whereas the singer songwriter my have had a publishing deal which meant the publisher took a significant amount.

Here is an article about how Lady Gaga received £108 for 1 million plays on Spotify:

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/music/news/spotify-1-million-plays-108-return-1944051.html

That works out at £0.000108 per play.

Postby blinddrew » Fri May 31, 2019 11:25 am

The label et al. will be taking a huge chunk of that. My Spotify rate is certainly way higher than that.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster

Postby Guest » Fri May 31, 2019 11:52 am

blinddrew wrote:The label et al. will be taking a huge chunk of that. My Spotify rate is certainly way higher than that.

A friend of mine said that Adele and Ed Sheeran do not have any of their music on streaming services, which he thinks explains why they are among the most highly paid.

Postby blinddrew » Fri May 31, 2019 12:36 pm

I suspect cause and effect may be back to front there - because they are so highly paid and well established they can afford not to be on streaming sites.
Also I'm not sure that's completely accurate - they both have their own channels on youtube for example and I think they're both on Apple music as well.
I can't get access to Spotify or Tidal here to check, but they're both on Soundcloud and Ed Sheeran is on Bandcamp as well.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster

Postby Dr Huge Longjohns » Fri May 31, 2019 12:54 pm

Call me cynical but I don't believe a word I read in the media about pop star's income, good or bad. So many that you think are minting it are actually broke, and vice versa.
Dr Huge Longjohns
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby CS70 » Fri May 31, 2019 2:45 pm

Still Vibrations wrote:
blinddrew wrote:The label et al. will be taking a huge chunk of that. My Spotify rate is certainly way higher than that.

A friend of mine said that Adele and Ed Sheeran do not have any of their music on streaming services, which he thinks explains why they are among the most highly paid.

I have the Spotify app in front of me and they certainly are on it.

They make money because they fill stadiums, repeatedly.
CS70
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video  and the FB page

Postby Dr Huge Longjohns » Fri May 31, 2019 5:36 pm

But artists with that sort of clout don't get the same deal as mere mortals. That's why The Beatles held off going on Spotify until very recently (last year?). You can rest assured that Ad and Ed are not just getting the bog-standard c£0.004 royalty that is standard. I wish they'd form a duo now I've mentioned it: Ad & Ed has a nice ring to it.
Dr Huge Longjohns
Frequent Poster (Level2)