You are here

patreon.com?

Advice on everything from getting your music heard to setting up a label and royalties.

patreon.com?

Postby Elephone » Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:24 pm

Hello. Anyone had any luck making money from their music (or art/films) on patreon.com?

If so, what sort of material/extras do you offer to supporters? Alt mixes, bonus tracks, stems?

Thanks in advance.

https://www.patreon.com/
Elephone
Frequent Poster

Re: patreon.com?

Postby blinddrew » Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:55 pm

Patreon is an interesting platform, but it really only works if you have an established and dedicated fanbase. And the key thing that people are paying for via the platform is new works. Early access is a fairly common bonus, as are demos and live performance recordings, but really it's about supporting the artist in producing full quality material.
In my limited experience as a consumer. :)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Martin Walker » Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:28 pm

I'd agree with everything Drew just said - it seems the biggest successes on the Patreon platform are those who already have a larger following, but who want more control over their own output.

I suspect you've also got to be fairly prolific to keep regular patrons. I support Chris Johnson of Airwindows fame via Patreon, and he mostly manages to release something new on a weekly basis. For him the whole ethos of Patreon is receiving lots of small payments from lots of people to give him a basic wage, so he can explore lots of new ideas as they occur to him, rather than attempting to fund longer projects.

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby blinddrew » Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:59 pm

I follow quite a lot of web-cartoonists. The models vary, some work on a 'by the book' basis, others on a 'by the page'. But they're all fairly established. A couple of them use it because it means that they can then run their sites ad-free.
So as Martin says, it gives them a bit more control.
I think Mike Doughty (formerly of Soul Coughing, now solo) uses it as well but I can't remember what kind of promos he does. Worth checking out his site.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...