You are here

Is a Youtube Timestamp Legally Useful?

Advice on everything from getting your music heard to setting up a label and royalties.

Is a Youtube Timestamp Legally Useful?

Postby awjoe » Wed Jul 24, 2019 3:10 am

I read on another site that if you want copyright protection for material you're about to put out there, that putting a demo of the tune on Youtube is legal protection and proof of authorship ('no way to dispute the Youtube timestamp' is the way it was put).

True?
awjoe
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Fringe member of the Party Pooper People's Party

Re: Is a Youtube Timestamp Legally Useful?

Postby blinddrew » Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:24 pm

Might work as part of a bank of circumstantial evidence but I wouldn't want to rely on that alone.
If you're in the US and you want to protect your copyright to the point where you're willing to go to court over it then you really need to formally register it. Without that your legal battle will be much harder and your damages much lower (if you win).
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby hobbyist » Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:06 am

awjoe wrote:I read on another site that if you want copyright protection for material you're about to put out there, that putting a demo of the tune on Youtube is legal protection and proof of authorship ('no way to dispute the Youtube timestamp' is the way it was put).

True?

Cant speak to UK but I would say in the colonies doing that would abrogate any copyrights, not help it at all.

Also check the TOS for utoob. Many places will take all your rights if you post to them.

You should first register the IP with your local copyright authority.

See an IP lawyer for a definitive answer. I doubt that the utoob timestamp is significant wrt your rights. There are bigger legal issues at play.
hobbyist
Regular

Postby hobbyist » Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:09 am

blinddrew wrote:Might work as part of a bank of circumstantial evidence but I wouldn't want to rely on that alone.
If you're in the US and you want to protect your copyright to the point where you're willing to go to court over it then you really need to formally register it. Without that your legal battle will be much harder and your damages much lower (if you win).

In the colonies you generally cannot collect damages if it is not registered.

Certainly registering first guarantees that you can get all the protection and payments for infringement you are due. You still have to sue though. An like blinddrew noted you also have to win. Do you have the resources to go up against a big company and last until you do win?
hobbyist
Regular

Postby ManFromGlass » Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:49 am

Maybe this is one of those internet falsehoods or even total crap, but wasn’t there a big to do a few years back about the fact that YouTube owns the rights to anything you post on it?
Or is my sleepy brain mixing that up with FB?

Too tired to start reading lengthy Terms of Agreement.
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby MOF » Thu Jul 25, 2019 2:18 am

wasn’t there a big to do a few years back about the fact that YouTube owns the rights to anything you post on it?
Or is my sleepy brain mixing that up with FB?

Too tired to start reading lengthy Terms of Agreement.
I haven’t looked either but I think they only have the right to use part of your material in promoting their channel.
MOF
Regular

Postby Rich Hanson » Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:54 am

It's one of those internet myths that refuse to die. It was Facebook, and all they claimed was the right to use anything you posted on their site in their promotions, e.g. using pictures in ads. They never claimed IP rights over anything.
Rich Hanson
Frequent Poster

Postby blinddrew » Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:52 pm

What Rich said ^^^ :)
In terms of claiming damages in the US, I think might depend on which circuit you're in, but in general, if you've registered the copyright you can claim statutory damages but if you haven't you can only claim actual damages - much more difficult and generally much lower!
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...