You are here

Import/Export - A Different Twist

Advice on everything from getting your music heard to setting up a label and royalties.

Import/Export - A Different Twist

Postby Mike Stranks » Thu Jul 25, 2019 2:16 pm

Does anyone have practical experience of sending gear from one country to another (not internal EU) for evaluation?

Gear owned by me - not new - potentially going to the States...

Thanks in antipation.
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Re: Import/Export - A Different Twist

Postby forumuser698238 » Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:02 pm

Sounds like you need a carnet

https://www.gov.uk/taking-goods-out-uk-temporarily

The big carriers (UPS/Fed Ex) used to help with the paperwork but thankfully I've not had to go near a carnet for over 15 years, so that's probably all gone with the rest of the customer service
forumuser698238
Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:10 pm

Matt Houghton might have some good advice as he takes care of shipping a lot of review product to and from the US. I believe there are some phrases and values to use in the paperwork to avoid getting customs and VAT charges etc.

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Watchmaker » Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:46 pm

Probably cheaper and easier to fly a tech to UK...
Watchmaker
Frequent Poster
Take my advice, I'm not using it.

Postby Mike Stranks » Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:51 pm

Thanks guys...

Looks like we'll have to switch to Plan B (there isn't a Plan B... yet.)

A friend in the States is interested in trying/evaluating some mics for his YouTube channel. They happen to be mics I own. In friendship I was going to offer to send them over for him to try and give his impressions... Perhaps not, unless Matt can come up with a cunning plan to keep the red 'money' lights switched off.
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby forumuser698238 » Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:23 pm

There should not be a monetary issue with the actual movement of goods - after all you're not actually exporting or importing anything per se - it's more akin to taking a spare pair of underpants on holiday with you and promising to bring them back. The cost however is in the preparation of paperwork, the shipping, and the insurance
forumuser698238
Poster

Postby MOF » Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:13 pm

Sounds like you need a carnet
This sounds the most likely. I remember working throughout Europe many years ago, we (a film crew) had to have a carnet just for Switzerland. Our equipment was checked against the list going in and coming back out.
I wasn’t responsible for the paperwork but I did have to provide a list of my equipment.
MOF
Regular

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:18 pm

forumuser698238 wrote:There should not be a monetary issue with the actual movement of goods - after all you're not actually exporting or importing anything per se

You might know that... The challenge is persuading the customs officers at both ends :-D ...because to them a mic in a box being shipped between individuals looks a lot like it's being exported and imported... And while ~we~ all know Mike is a good, upstanding citizen who wouldn't dream of defrauding Customs & Excise, ~they~ don't know that and they have to assume everything is dodgy unless proven otherwise!
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Mike Stranks » Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:33 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:
forumuser698238 wrote:There should not be a monetary issue with the actual movement of goods - after all you're not actually exporting or importing anything per se

You might know that... The challenge is persuading the customs officers at both ends :-D ...because to them a mic in a box being shipped between individuals looks a lot like it's being exported and imported... And while ~we~ all know Mike is a good, upstanding citizen who wouldn't dream of defrauding Customs & Excise, ~they~ don't know that and they have to assume everything is dodgy unless proven otherwise!

Precisely!

Neither end of this possible informal arrangement wants to be faced with significant paperwork and/or having my mics impounded until significant sums have changed hands.

It was just a thought, but as I'd suspected, sending four mics to Utah for someone to try is a bit different to sending a couple of mics to High Wycombe with similar intent! :lol:
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby forumuser698238 » Sat Jul 27, 2019 1:17 pm

I think I should have qualified my comment with 'long term' - because as pointed out, it depends how grumpy/clued up your border point is on any given day.
In short you'd probably get your mics back eventually... :beamup:
forumuser698238
Poster

Postby Wonks » Sun Jul 28, 2019 7:45 am

Just label them as C1000s with a monetary value well below any customs/import tax threshold. That should make them safe from confiscation, and your Utah friend may even find a note of sympathy attached by Customs.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853