You are here

Contract help

Advice on everything from getting your music heard to setting up a label and royalties.

Contract help

Postby impossibleprince » Mon Jul 29, 2019 3:08 pm

Hi everyone, I have the opportunity to release an original track of mine on a record label and wondered if anyone could look over the contract to make sure everything is legit and if there's anything I should be aware of. I'd really appreciate the help.

Please comment or ideally PM me if you can help.

Thanks in advance.
impossibleprince
Poster

Re: Contract help

Postby hobbyist » Mon Jul 29, 2019 4:34 pm

mickeyderon wrote:Hi everyone, I have the opportunity to release an original track of mine on a record label and wondered if anyone could look over the contract to make sure everything is legit and if there's anything I should be aware of. I'd really appreciate the help.

Please comment or ideally PM me if you can help.

Thanks in advance.

You really need a good IP attorney to look at it.
If that is too expensive then at least read some of the books about recording contracts to see what to look out for.

Chances are they offer you their 'standard' contract which was written by their lawyers for their benefit. And depending on their ethics also to screw you if you dont ask for changes.

I know in the writing biz there are many vanity presses that will stroke your ego while attaching a vacuum cleaner to your wallet and let you think you are being published.

I am unaware of anything as bad in the music business but that does not mean they are legitimate. At a minimum google their name and see if there are complaints about them if they ask you to pay them for anything.
hobbyist
Regular

Postby blinddrew » Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:20 pm

Good advice above. The label might be the nicest people on earth but the contract has probably been drafted by lawyers who might not share that perspective. ;)

I think the musicians' union offers some legal services as well, if you're a member it'd be worth giving them a call.

Oh yes, and well done! :)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Watchmaker » Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:31 pm

Also contract law is pretty specific to the authority having jurisdiction. Find a lawyer in the country the contract's being written in.
Watchmaker
Frequent Poster
Take my advice, I'm not using it.

Postby impossibleprince » Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:57 pm

Ok thanks everyone

The label is pretty new and does seem legitimate but always good to get some opinions.

If anyone is willing to look over the contract and knows what they're looking for it would be great.

The MU has been recommended to me by a few people.
impossibleprince
Poster

Postby Mike Monte » Wed Oct 23, 2019 1:51 pm

I'm kind of late to this thread but (if you reside in US/CAN) you should join your local AFM (American Federation of Musicians) and let one of their lawyers look at the contract.

The AFM is rather inexpensive to be a member of in my area ($150.00 per year). As a member I am able to use AFM contracts for what I do (live performances).

They also have contracts for record deals, etc.
Mike Monte
Poster