You are here

Teaching service sites..

Advice on everything from getting your music heard to setting up a label and royalties.

Re: Teaching service sites..

Postby zenguitar » Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:00 pm

James Perrett wrote:If I enter "audio mixing tuition high wycombe" into Google, you are 5th on the list - but only one of the first four (Buckingham University) actually offers audio production tuition...
Would it be worthwhile advertising one to one tuition for students on those courses ?

Posters on the notice boards with some of your excellent credentials might attract eager students looking for the best grades.

Just a thought Eddie.

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
When you see a fork in the road, take it.
Yogi Berra

Re: Teaching service sites? Use Readers Ads

Postby Zukan » Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:09 am

Forum Admin wrote:
Zukan wrote:I want to advertise my teaching service but I don't know which site to advertise on?

Eddie, don't forget SOS provides a FREE space for anyone to advertise in... it's called Readers' Ads and in there is a category called SERVICES where some tutors post ads every now and then. There's a guy from Minnesota advertising in there currently:

https://www.soundonsound.com/readersads/services

It's free, so why not make use of it? Ads get deleted automagically after 30 days but you could easily keep a copy of your text and re-post it. Latest ads show on the main Readers' Ads page but also in their category page.

Ads are vetted and go into a queue... but I think you know who vets them so no problemo on that front. ;)

Submit your ad today here: https://www.soundonsound.com/readersads/free

It might bring in some punters, it might not, but it's free and on a regularly visited part of the site. What have you got to lose?

Ian

Thanks Ian. I'll give this a go today.
Zukan

Postby Zukan » Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:10 am

zenguitar wrote:
James Perrett wrote:If I enter "audio mixing tuition high wycombe" into Google, you are 5th on the list - but only one of the first four (Buckingham University) actually offers audio production tuition...
Would it be worthwhile advertising one to one tuition for students on those courses ?

Posters on the notice boards with some of your excellent credentials might attract eager students looking for the best grades.

Just a thought Eddie.

Andy :beamup:

I tried contacting Bucks Uni for exactly this but they weren't having it.

I have had a flyer designed that I need dropped to various uni students union bars.
Zukan

Postby Zukan » Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:13 am

Dynamic Mike wrote:Just a small point but 'Samplecraze' sounds like a site that sells samples or loops. If that's pretty much the first (or only) thing people read in a small advert or hyperlink it might mislead people who just give it a cursory glance. I don't use or edit samples, so you just lost my interest & I won't investigate further.

Once you get to the site it's really clear & obvious what you're about, I just don't think the name really sells it for you. It's not a problem for people who know you & previous customers but I wonder whether it might be off-putting when it comes to generating new traffic.

A very valid observation Mike. I bought a bunch of domain names to use but it was finally decided that Samplecraze with its 20 year Google history was best as Google takes domain names with history more seriously than new ones that pop up everywhere.

The idea is to keep Samplecraze as is but to create a personal site with my tuition services being promoted. So far, it has all been a commercial disaster.
Zukan

Re: Teaching service sites? Use Readers Ads

Postby Forum Admin » Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:36 am

Zukan wrote:
Forum Admin wrote:
Zukan wrote:I want to advertise my teaching service but I don't know which site to advertise on?

Eddie, don't forget SOS provides a FREE space for anyone to advertise in... it's called Readers' Ads and in there is a category called SERVICES where some tutors post ads every now and then. There's a guy from Minnesota advertising in there currently:

https://www.soundonsound.com/readersads/services

It's free, so why not make use of it?

Ian

Thanks Ian. I'll give this a go today.

Your Ad is now live in the SERVICES category of SOS Readers' Ads - see link above.

Good luck with it.
Forum Admin
Location: A studio deep in the fenlands of Cambridgeshire, UK
SEARCH SOS 10,861 articles: www.soundonsound.com/search
FREE Full Issue PDF Digital Mag: https://sosm.ag/FreePDF

Postby Zukan » Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:28 am

Thank you.
Zukan

Postby Mike McLoone » Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:11 am

For what it's worth, I can chip in with my experience on social media advertising this year.

Plus points:
You can target a geographical area - You can, for example, only have your ads show up on Facebook/Instagram or whatever, for people who are actually within your town. Incidentally, this can also be leveraged by a band playing a gig in a new town; just set up an advert and limit it to that one town.

You can target the exact demographic - The data collection on social media is crazy, we all know that. But using it for adverts is then crazy powerful. Alarmingly so. Being able to drill down to limit the delivery of adverts to people who are interested in music technology, and even interested in learning music production, is easy.

Negative points:
You may design a nice looking advert (still graphic or a video even), and get 5k "likes". So you are being told, yes indeed, maybe 15k people saw it, and 5k even clicked "like". What does that translate to? How many hits did your website get because of this? None? Hmmm. Yeah, this is the problem with converting "likes" into something worthwhile, such as people actually signing up for a tuition or buying a course online.

One issue with facebook which has yet to be resolved, is the use of bot networks which are being paid by real people to build up private accounts. These real but then automated accounts go clicking on any and all paid adverts on facebook. I had one running with 1k "likes" per day, only to dive into the details and find they were all from Russian accounts, and were not interested in the product I was offering. So my paid advertising was being eaten up by a bot network, and facebook can and will do nothing about this. I think the only way to prevent this is to geographically limit the exposure.

Another is the extremely annoying AI system which refuses almost every advert I have put on facebook. A request that it be examined by a human then delays the entire process by up to a week. They have a strict policy, such as having to use a capital F when writing facebook (yes, master), only a certain percentage of the advert containing text and other stuff like that. All the adverts I've had which were refused by an AI were then authorized when an operator looked at it, with no changes. So whatever, a minor inconvenience.

The final misfortune with facebook was that they kept asking me to pre-pay on the advert account. After the incident with the Russian bot network, I had pre-paid for a certain exposure, but then decided to pull the advert just after it had started to run. I asked then to close the account and refund the money. They closed the account. Some months later I messaged again about the money. What ensued was a TWO HOUR text chat with one of their operators, who asked for information on exactly how I had paid this pre-paid money and when. It was not sufficient that the funds were on my facebook advert account, but I had to prove to them, when and how the money was transferred to facebook. Luckily I have good internet banking and could go a year back to find the transactions. Between screen-shots of bank records and screen-shots of my mail account to show them what they already knew she said "OK, we have the information now, I'll pass it to the relevant team to decide if they can process your refund". They messaged back a week later to say, due to the Terms and Conditions, they could not process the refund. There was no clause in the T&C to state this, and when I pushed, they stopped writing and tried instead to phone me to avoid any record of what was said.

Will I use facebook advertising again? Yes, absolutely. I have pre-paid money on their system which I will use for something, anything, to avoid that they keep it.

Should you use facebook advertising? That's up to you. It's where the target audience reside. I've been through the handing out flyers, taping posters to telegraph poles and all the like to promote my own music technology training, and it's a lot of work. It's a different experience being able to target the exact audience and watch from the comfort of your mobile device, how many thousand people saw that advert this week. But as mentioned, it's not without it's drawbacks.

As an example, here is a list of keywords I used to promote a psychedelic trance track I released. I was getting around 1800 "likes" per day on a picture of the album cover, for 20 euro per day. Did this translate into sales? No. But there are now thousands of people who saw the band name / single, who are actually in that music scene (have searched for or "liked" one or more of the keywords below).

Example of facebook keywords:

"Interests: Adventure travel, Techno, Vibrasphere, Meditation, Jean-Michel Jarre, Ecotourism, Tangerine Dream, Music festivals, Goa - Trance Progressive & Psychedelic, The Future Sound of London, Parties, GMS (music group), Electronic dance music, Dance music, Mixmag, Sisyphus, Air travel, DJ Magazine, Aes Dana (ambient group), Etnica, Resident Advisor, Ott (record producer), Underworld (band), Berghain / Panorama Bar (OFFICIAL), Daft Punk, Music videos, Hallucinogen (musician), Nightclubs, Ticon official fanpage, Leftfield, Eat Static, Abacus, Space Tribe, Psychedelic trance, Dance, Beaches, Ozric Tentacles, pioneer dj, Ellen Allien, Audio equipment, Electronic music, Day.Din or Pan-Pot, Behaviours: Frequent international travellers"
Mike McLoone
Regular
"It's all gone quiet." said Rhubarb "Not nearly quiet enough." said John Cage

Previous