You are here

There's only one format to upload to Distrokid??

Advice on everything from getting your music heard to setting up a label and royalties.

There's only one format to upload to Distrokid??

Postby Kinh » Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:41 am

Do stores convert 24bit according to the platform after you upload to distrokid? If you just upload an mp3 then that's obviously not gonna work too well with streaming platforms. I dont get why there's just one format to fit all. What about itunes aac? My tracks are optimized to different platforms.
Kinh
Regular

Re: There's only one format to upload to Distrokid??

Postby James Perrett » Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:47 pm

That's fairly normal - for may main label customer I just send 16 bit .wav files and the various platforms take care of the conversion (as far as I know). Some distributors still only accept 16 bit files while others now accept 24 bit files. I believe that the platforms also keep the uncompressed version so that, if they were to launch a lossless service in the future, they already have the raw material.

It is all very well to try to optimise for individual platforms but they have a habit of changing their criteria every so often so it is best just to make it sound as good as you can without going too near 0dBFS.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Re: There's only one format to upload to Distrokid??

Postby CS70 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:41 pm

Kinh wrote:Do stores convert 24bit according to the platform after you upload to distrokid? If you just upload an mp3 then that's obviously not gonna work too well with streaming platforms. I dont get why there's just one format to fit all. What about itunes aac? My tracks are optimized to different platforms.

Most distributors expect CD quality as format - 16 bit, 44.1KHz.
Compression occurs on their side.

That doesn't stop you from optimizing them for streaming - have a look at https://theaudioblog.org/post/master-that-stream for some thoughts on the matter.
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video  and the FB page