You are here

Music release checklist

Advice on everything from getting your music heard to setting up a label and royalties.

Music release checklist

Postby guyjames » Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:09 am

So I’m sure this has been posted somewhere so please share links if so...

I’d like to develop a sort of “checklist” of everything a DIY musicians should to do in the process of finishing and releasing a song.

As far as I know as of now I would follow this list.

1. Write the music
2. Record the music with pro gear
3. Have the music mastered professionally

Now this is where most guys (me) get confused. I’m not sure if there’s a Preferred order of events but this is just what I know as of now.

4. Register work with BMI or ASCAP
5. Register work with DistroKid So it hits all streaming platforms.

And that’s about it people... please share any wisdom on this topic, and for the sake of continuity, reply in a checklist format.

Much love
-Guy
guyjames

Re: Music release checklist

Postby blinddrew » Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:48 pm

6. Promote.
7-100. Also promote. ;)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Kwackman » Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:01 pm

guyjames wrote:2. Record the music with pro gear

Nor sure about this.
These days "gear" is generally not the weakest link.
Besides "pro" is usually just a marketing term nowadays.
Almost ANY modern (last decade) gear will be capable of producing very high quality recording.

I'd prefer a good engineer in an appropriate environment (i.e. decent acoustic for the style of music) with any gear, whether deemed "pro" or not.
Kwackman
Frequent Poster
Cubase, guitars.

Postby The Bunk » Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:19 pm

There will be many a wiser head than I coming along sooner or later but between 1 and 2...so a sort of "1a" if you like, would be "perform it and perform it well" - which brings into question "and where will that be done"? It may be a sweeping generalisation but a good performance with "amateur" gear is probably better than a poor performance with "pro gear".
The Bunk
Frequent Poster
2 answers; 799 questions and about 58 "Mornington Crescent" posts.

Postby blinddrew » Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:03 pm

Along those lines, (1b maybe?) is work out your arrangement, and exactly what you're going to play and not play, before you go into the studio.
I would suggest that one of the features of the amateur production is where instruments start (maybe together, maybe staggered) but then play all the way through to the end of the song, with a couple of solos/fills and backing vocals plonked on top.
Really work on your arrangement and spend at least as much time thinking about what you're going to drop as what you're going to add.
[insert old man comment about only having 16/8/4 tracks on tape and having to re-use bits and how that made you a better composer and how even the jam tasted better back then etc etc ]
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby CS70 » Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:35 pm

guyjames wrote:So I’m sure this has been posted somewhere so please share links if so...

I’d like to develop a sort of “checklist” of everything a DIY musicians should to do in the process of finishing and releasing a song.

Releasing for what purpose?

The checklist would look very different depending on why you want to release a piece of music.
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video  and the FB page